How much force can an CPU and M/B take????

G

Hey all,

I need some insight please, as I'm worried I'm going to break my motherboard/CPU.

I have bought an MSI K7T266 Pro2 and an AMB Athlon 1700+ CPU, which came with a huge Coolermaster EP5-6I51 heatsink/fan (http://www.coolermaster.com/technical/Manual/fcpga.html)

Everything is resting on antistatic bag outside of case, ok.

Getting the chip in is fine and I have the heatsink sitting on top of the chip snugly in place. Although I haven't clipped the top clip: the instructions on both Coolermaster and AMD's sites say that I need to use a flathead screwdriver to bend the top clip into place on the socket. But it says I need to use like 24 pounds of pressure and really bend the mofo!! And the clip is about 1 inch away from the socket lug! Will I crack the chip or the board???

This is probably a naieve question considering both sites say to do it and hundreds of people have prolly already done it, but I just want to be sure.

Cheers,
Kylla.

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
i dunno what im talkign about but dont you just bend the little metal clip, and not the actual mobo?

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
hi. if you think you might chip the core you may take the fan off and loosen the clamp a bit, not to much. and you should be ok. the motherboard does flex a bit. just be careful not to damage the core and also the motherboard with the screw driver.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
as long as the pressure from the screwdriver is equal, and you only push on the clip, then you should be fine. as an extra precaution, you might want to put a bit of electrical tape on the end of the flathead screwdriver. this will make it harder for it to slip out, and if it does, a bit less likely to cause damage to the mobo. once you set the heatsink on the chip, dont move it around, just put the clip on...it is actually kinda simple..and dont worry about a bit of flex, like crashman said, the lugs will break before you break the board. unless you have an unusually weak board, which i doubt.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
maybe push down on the other side (to the socket not anything that will push onto the cpu) while you push down the second catch. you could try and bend the metal strip a little before you attatch to cpu, but then it'd have less of a hold on the socket and you wouldnt want it to fall off!

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
ok my thermaltake dragon orb 3 low-noise arrived today, and whilst the metal connector seems happy to bend, the damn thing proly weighs a good kilogram! ok it gets held by all six lugs (how strong is the actual socket held on anyway?) but if that chunk of copper falls off, its dropping right onto the GF3. there would go the most expensive bit of kit and proly the second most expensive (CPU) with it. Im half tempted to attach a couple of wires from it to the case top so it cant fall and damage anything else, but i dont want to mess around with DIY. someone reassure me please!

PS, the thermal paste goes right onto the middle part of the cpu (metal bit) only, and maybe a little onto the middle of the base of the heatsink? im being paranoid i know but im just impatient for that damned graphics card to arrive so i get the machine running.

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"

ObiWan_Kenobi

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2001
Dave, i used to work at a computer shop before o got my degree. I also build rigs for my friends and I. I have put on hundreds of heat sinks, and NEVER have I had a heat sink just fall off. By the way, you might want to consider getting some Artic Silver 2. Best themal paste i have ever used.

PS. does your 'sink have a thermal pad on it (looks like a peice of gum stuck on the bottom, where it would hit the processor die). If it does and your uneasy about putting on a heatsink i would just leave it on. That pad protects the die somewhat while you put the heatsink on.

Putting the LAUGH back in SLAUGHTER.

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
ok ok feel a bit more confident now, just its like 10x the size of whats on this comp :) thanks

naw theres no pad, all thats on the bottom is the base of the copper. i got a little sachet of thermal paste in the box, i heard that paste u said is great but proly what i got with HSF will be fine, im not overclocking (and anyway none of the shops around here sell it [i looked before lol] so i'd have to pay shipping). thanks again :)

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"