Compaq Deskpro pentium 1 - 200. 200gb HDD?

Anyone know the largest Harddrive I can put into a Compaq Deskpro? Ideally, I'd like to fit a 200Gb HDD if possible!

*** Deskpro details (or markings I can see on the case)***
Compaq Deskpro
DP2000 5200MMX 2100UK
8814BK670587

Just incase you are wondering... It is used only as a file server (no monitor), it is quiet & reliable - so I'd really
like to keep it!

PS, Is there such thing as a network file server (PC-Less)? - I mean like, you fit harddrive(s) & plug it into your
network.
5 answers Last reply
More about compaq deskpro pentium 200gb

    Without knowing what model of DeskPro, it's impossible to say, but I
    seriously doubt a Pentium model would take more than 120GB and probably a
    lot less. I had a DeskPro XL Pentium 133 that would not take more than 8GB.
    HH

    "Stevie_mac" <no.email@please.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone know the largest Harddrive I can put into a Compaq Deskpro?
    Ideally, I'd like to fit a 200Gb HDD if possible!

    > *** Deskpro details (or markings I can see on the case)***
    > Compaq Deskpro
    > DP2000 5200MMX 2100UK
    > 8814BK670587
    >

    > Just incase you are wondering... It is used only as a file server (no
    monitor), it is quiet & reliable - so I'd really
    > like to keep it!
    >
    > PS, Is there such thing as a network file server (PC-Less)? - I mean like,
    you fit harddrive(s) & plug it into your
    > network.

    Isn't
    Compaq Deskpro
    DP2000 5200MMX 2100UK
    8814BK670587

    Enough Info?

    I'm not entirely sure but I assumed the first alphanumeric line was the model & the 2nd the serial number!

    DP2000 = Deskpro 2000 perhaps?
    5200MMX = Intel CPU Model 5 (Pentium 1), 200MMX
    2100UK = ?????
    (not that good with Compaq - Like Packard bell, I've seen the same model with different innards!)

    Does this help?

    "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:zidkc.319$Ga.57@fe25.usenetserver.com...
    > Without knowing what model of DeskPro, it's impossible to say, but I
    > seriously doubt a Pentium model would take more than 120GB and probably a
    > lot less. I had a DeskPro XL Pentium 133 that would not take more than 8GB.
    > HH
    >

    > "Stevie_mac" <no.email@please.com> wrote in message
    > > Anyone know the largest Harddrive I can put into a Compaq Deskpro?
    > Ideally, I'd like to fit a 200Gb HDD if possible!
    > >
    > > *** Deskpro details (or markings I can see on the case)***
    > > Compaq Deskpro
    > > DP2000 5200MMX 2100UK
    > > 8814BK670587
    > >

    > > Just incase you are wondering... It is used only as a file server (no
    > monitor), it is quiet & reliable - so I'd really
    > > like to keep it!
    > >
    > > PS, Is there such thing as a network file server (PC-Less)? - I mean like,
    > you fit harddrive(s) & plug it into your
    > > network.

    Yep. DeskPro 2000. Probably 127GB is tops. No 48-bit LBA on that old of a
    machine.
    > Isn't
    > Compaq Deskpro
    > DP2000 5200MMX 2100UK
    > 8814BK670587
    >
    > Enough Info?
    >
    > I'm not entirely sure but I assumed the first alphanumeric line was the
    model & the 2nd the serial number!

    > DP2000 = Deskpro 2000 perhaps?
    > 5200MMX = Intel CPU Model 5 (Pentium 1), 200MMX
    > 2100UK = ?????
    > (not that good with Compaq - Like Packard bell, I've seen the same model
    with different innards!)

    > Does this help?
    >
    > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Without knowing what model of DeskPro, it's impossible to say, but I
    > > seriously doubt a Pentium model would take more than 120GB and probably
    > > lot less. I had a DeskPro XL Pentium 133 that would not take more than
    8GB.
    > > HH
    > >

    > > "Stevie_mac" <no.email@please.com> wrote in message
    > > > Anyone know the largest Harddrive I can put into a Compaq Deskpro?
    > > Ideally, I'd like to fit a 200Gb HDD if possible!
    > > >
    > > > *** Deskpro details (or markings I can see on the case)***
    > > > Compaq Deskpro
    > > > DP2000 5200MMX 2100UK
    > > > 8814BK670587
    > > > *********************************************
    > > >

    > > > Just incase you are wondering... It is used only as a file server (no
    > > monitor), it is quiet & reliable - so I'd really
    > > > like to keep it!
    > > >
    > > > PS, Is there such thing as a network file server (PC-Less)? - I mean
    like,
    > > you fit harddrive(s) & plug it into your
    > > > network.

    Could add a PCI IDE card. Probably not worth the investment.
    > Yep. DeskPro 2000. Probably 127GB is tops. No 48-bit LBA on that old of a
    > machine.
    > HH
    > "Stevie_mac" <no.email@please.com> wrote in message
    > > Isn't
    > > Compaq Deskpro
    > > DP2000 5200MMX 2100UK
    > > 8814BK670587
    > >
    > > Enough Info?
    > >
    > > I'm not entirely sure but I assumed the first alphanumeric line was the
    > model & the 2nd the serial number!
    > >
    > > DP2000 = Deskpro 2000 perhaps?
    > > 5200MMX = Intel CPU Model 5 (Pentium 1), 200MMX
    > > 2100UK = ?????
    > > (not that good with Compaq - Like Packard bell, I've seen the same model
    > with different innards!)
    > >

    > > Does this help?
    > >
    > > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Without knowing what model of DeskPro, it's impossible to say, but I
    > > > seriously doubt a Pentium model would take more than 120GB and
    probably
    > > > lot less. I had a DeskPro XL Pentium 133 that would not take more than
    > 8GB.
    > > > HH
    > > >

    > > > "Stevie_mac" <no.email@please.com> wrote in message
    > > > Ideally, I'd like to fit a 200Gb HDD if possible!

    > > > monitor), it is quiet & reliable - so I'd really

    > like,
    > > > you fit harddrive(s) & plug it into your

    the answer to the model question has been beaten enough...

    as to your other question, yes. there are PC-less servers (called
    appliances) that are nothing but storage, and enough OS kernel to present
    itself to the network as a Mac, Sun, Novell, MS, Linux server. Configure
    with a browser, IP it, and plug it into the network.

    Popular devices can be found under the heading of NAS (network attatched
    storage). One of the most popular ones that comes to mind is the Quantum
    SNAP server. You can get them with sizes up into the multi-terrabyte range.
    They arent exactly cheap, but much less expensive that a SCSI or
    Fibrechannel alternative.

    HTH,

    NuTs

    "Stevie_mac" <no.email@please.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone know the largest Harddrive I can put into a Compaq Deskpro?
    Ideally, I'd like to fit a 200Gb HDD if possible!

    > *** Deskpro details (or markings I can see on the case)***
    > Compaq Deskpro
    > DP2000 5200MMX 2100UK
    > 8814BK670587
    >

    > Just incase you are wondering... It is used only as a file server (no
    monitor), it is quiet & reliable - so I'd really
    > like to keep it!
    >
    > PS, Is there such thing as a network file server (PC-Less)? - I mean like,
    you fit harddrive(s) & plug it into your
    > network.

Compaq File Server Hard Drives Computers