I have Windows XP installed on my computer, and recently I noticed that I am
unable to boot it up in Safe Mode since that screen does not appear when I
restart it or turn it on. Also my computer freezes randomly (event #4354
Category 52). Does anyone know what's going on?

SYMPTOMS
The following error message may be recorded in the event log:
Event ID: 4354
Event System failed to fire the ConnectionMade method on subscription
{F3177D96-B9E9-42DE-AC32-5401CAB2D98A}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000
0000}-{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}. The subscriber returned
HRESULT 80004001.

CAUSE
This error message is caused by an error condition in a COM+ component that
is related to Microsoft Windows Messenger and Microsoft MSN Messenger.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, upgrade to Windows Messenger 4.6 or later or MSN
Messenger 4.6 or later. You can obtain Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger
from the following Microsoft Web site:
http://messenger.microsoft.com
MORE INFORMATION
To work around this issue, use the following steps: 1. Disable Windows
Messenger or MSN Messenger from automatically starting when you start
Windows. To do this, use the following steps: a. On the Tools menu in
Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger, click Options.
b. On the Preferences tab, clear the Run this program when
Windows starts check box, clear the Allow this program to run in the
background check box, and then click OK.
c. On the Tools menu in Outlook Express, click Options.
d. On the General tab, clear the Automatically log on to
Windows Messenger check box, and then click OK.

2. Disable the Contacts pane in Outlook Express. To do this, on the
View menu, click Layout, clear the Contacts check box, and then click OK.

APPLIES TO
. Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition
. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition