Nothing installs when setting a sys restore point!!

Hi,

This problem is very annoying, as you could imagine. Any program I try to
install that tries to set a system restore point before installing (or, any
ad-ware program that tries to set one before deleting junk) doesn't work. It
just hangs. I haven't been able to install anything lately, including Windows
Updates! What gives??

I'm running Win XP Pro, and the Windows Installer is enabled in services.msc.

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about nothing installs setting restore point

    I guess I'll be the one to ask the obvious - is your system restore turned
    off or on? You didn't say.

    "miamisax" <miamisax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > This problem is very annoying, as you could imagine. Any program I try to
    > install that tries to set a system restore point before installing (or,
    > any
    > ad-ware program that tries to set one before deleting junk) doesn't work.
    > It
    > just hangs. I haven't been able to install anything lately, including
    > Windows
    > Updates! What gives??
    >
    > I'm running Win XP Pro, and the Windows Installer is enabled in
    > services.msc.
    >
    > Thanks

    Ah..sorry I didn't make that clear. Yes, Sys Restore is enabled, along with
    Auto Updates, BITS, Event log, blah blah blah.

    "Jerry" wrote:
    > I guess I'll be the one to ask the obvious - is your system restore turned
    > off or on? You didn't say.
    >
    > "miamisax" <miamisax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > This problem is very annoying, as you could imagine. Any program I try to
    > > install that tries to set a system restore point before installing (or,
    > > any
    > > ad-ware program that tries to set one before deleting junk) doesn't work.
    > > It
    > > just hangs. I haven't been able to install anything lately, including
    > > Windows
    > > Updates! What gives??
    > >
    > > I'm running Win XP Pro, and the Windows Installer is enabled in
    > > services.msc.
    > >
    > > Thanks

    OK - System Restore is on - how much space is being allocated. Hopefully
    it's not a zero or very small.

    > Ah..sorry I didn't make that clear. Yes, Sys Restore is enabled, along
    > with
    > Auto Updates, BITS, Event log, blah blah blah.
    >
    > "Jerry" wrote:
    >> I guess I'll be the one to ask the obvious - is your system restore
    >> turned
    >> off or on? You didn't say.
    >>
    >> "miamisax" <miamisax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > This problem is very annoying, as you could imagine. Any program I try
    >> > install that tries to set a system restore point before installing (or,
    >> > any
    >> > ad-ware program that tries to set one before deleting junk) doesn't
    >> > work.
    >> > It
    >> > just hangs. I haven't been able to install anything lately, including
    >> > Windows
    >> > Updates! What gives??
    >> >
    >> > I'm running Win XP Pro, and the Windows Installer is enabled in
    >> > services.msc.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks

    Actually, I had no idea it was this big -- it's over 9 GB.

    "Jerry" wrote:
    > OK - System Restore is on - how much space is being allocated. Hopefully
    > it's not a zero or very small.

    Go to:
    - Start Menu -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore
    - Click the link on the left labeled "System Restore Settings."
    - Select whichever drive you want to see the settings to.
    - Click the "Settings..." button.
    - A dialog box with a slider should pop up, allowing you to change the
    allocated space.

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" wrote:
    > "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message
    > WHERE is the size set?