Sign in with
Your question

Building a graphics machine, please help

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
November 20, 2001 12:16:04 AM

Hello everyone, I am building a high end graphics machine, what I do is photoshop manipulation and alot postscripting using a PDF based RIP.

I was wondering if someone could tell me I the machine listed below would be good enough for this purpose, or I someone could inform me where I should tweak the system for better perfomance, such as recommending a better motherboard or something.

I would like to use the Iwill ka266 motherboard
the athlon 1600 processor
512mb of ddram pc2100
promise ata 100 raid card with 2 maxtor 40 gig 7200
1 40 gig maxtor on the primary ide slot for the boot sector
Could someone reccommend a good 32 mb video card?
nic card and sound are not important, i have them already.
also, should i run a 300 watt ps or bigger?

Basically what I want is fast fast fast speed when it comes to processing power and hard drive speed, i would go scsi, but I feel it pushes me out of my budget.

any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated

thanks

More about : building graphics machine

November 20, 2001 1:05:49 AM

hi-
that looks good. i don't have any experience with ALi MAGiK chipset, but i definitely like the kt266a (i'm using a gigabyte ga7vtx-P). i just mention that because i know the via chipset has the highest memory bandwidth out at the moment (well if you count nforce as being out). depending if you're going to be running two monitors and/or any gaming on the side, you might consider the matrox g550 (dual head). i just got mine and it's nice, definitely not a gaming card though. but i've heard it's got some weird bugs using hardware overlay in premiere, so i'll have to look at that later, that wouldn't effect you though. but if a single monitor is what you're looking at, i'd say any board with a gf2 MX would be plenty. i've heard good things about gainward cards. for psu, i'd look at nothing less than 350, but 400 would give you plenty of comfort. enermax is what i'd recommend, but they can get pricey, antec and sparkle are a couple good alternatives.

well if luck is a lady, it explains why i have no luck :frown:
!