What does "Pipelined Function" stand for?

G

Hi all,

I had this video card (S3 Savage4Pro PCI/16mb) which works on DOS properly when my BIOS' "Pipelined Function" (under the "Chipset Features Setup") was set to any setting ("Turbo", "Enabled", "Disabled") but does not work on Windows only when its set to "Turbo".

Anyway, my chipset is a TritonHX. I am using a very generic motherboard. And I am forcibly using a P200MMX (using 2.7v/3.3v -- because my board doesn't support MMX voltage).

Well, the problem is, my DOS games like KGEN (SEGA Genesis emul) ran fast when its set to "Turbo" and now ran slow using the rest of the settings because Win9x wouldn't load when its set to "Turbo". Anyway, I had to manually switch in between this 2 BIOS settings in order for me to maximize DOS and Windows.

What's bugging me is that what does this "Pipelined Function" do? All I know is that setting this to "Turbo" makes my DOS games run faster. But why does this same "Turbo" setting made Windows hang during the loading sequence?

Please help me guys. I hope to hear from you soon.

:)

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, i think that the "pipelined" is referring to how it accesses the cpu, pipelined means that it is direct maybe?
not sure, but that is what it sounds like to me...
anyone else have any ideas....someone has to know.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-