lockup during defrag with sata hard drive

I have a western digital raptor 10,000 rpm hard drive w/ a c and d partition.
When I go defrag the C partition the computer will lock up. The same thing
occurs after i have ran a check disk, or if i try to defrag in safe mode.

Any ideas? This is a fresh install as I just purchased the hard drive toady,

Any and all help would be greatly apprciated.

If XP is installed on the SATA drive, then you probably had to hit F6 during
the installation to get it to use the drivers. But, did you check whether
they were the latest drivers? Most motherboards (or controller cards) come
with out-of-date drivers, since the PC world changes so fast. Always get te
latest ones for all devices from the associated support website, before
attempting to use the hardware.

Finally, if the controller is part of the the motherboard, did you download
and install the latest BIOS? Tha is sometimes more important than the
latest drivers.

"ITGuru" <ITGuru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a western digital raptor 10,000 rpm hard drive w/ a c and d
>partition.
> When I go defrag the C partition the computer will lock up. The same thing
> occurs after i have ran a check disk, or if i try to defrag in safe mode.
>
> Any ideas? This is a fresh install as I just purchased the hard drive
> toady,
>
> Any and all help would be greatly apprciated.

Thank you for your reply. I downloaded the lastest chipset drivers for my
motherbaord, and downloaded the latest drivers from the controller card
manufacturer website and the problem is fixed.

"Bob Harris" wrote:

> If XP is installed on the SATA drive, then you probably had to hit F6 during
> the installation to get it to use the drivers. But, did you check whether
> they were the latest drivers? Most motherboards (or controller cards) come
> with out-of-date drivers, since the PC world changes so fast. Always get te
> latest ones for all devices from the associated support website, before
> attempting to use the hardware.
>
> Finally, if the controller is part of the the motherboard, did you download
> and install the latest BIOS? Tha is sometimes more important than the
> latest drivers.
>

> "ITGuru" <ITGuru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a western digital raptor 10,000 rpm hard drive w/ a c and d
> >partition.
> > When I go defrag the C partition the computer will lock up. The same thing
> > occurs after i have ran a check disk, or if i try to defrag in safe mode.
> >
> > Any ideas? This is a fresh install as I just purchased the hard drive
> > toady,
> >
> > Any and all help would be greatly apprciated.

TRENDING THREADS