windows update without Admin permissions?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

ok... I got a bunch of remote users that connect via VPN to our corporate
network. I need to restrict their permission level from local Administrator
so they can't install unauthorized software. However if I make them regualr
users without admin permissionth the the automatic windows update will not
be able to run and install updates...

how do I properly deal with this issue?

MAC
3 answers Last reply
More about windows update admin permissions
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    "Using the Windows Update Corporate Site for Dynamic Update"
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prba_dwp_aefd.asp

    Ted Zieglar

    "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > ok... I got a bunch of remote users that connect via VPN to our corporate
    > network. I need to restrict their permission level from local
    > Administrator so they can't install unauthorized software. However if I
    > make them regualr users without admin permissionth the the automatic
    > windows update will not be able to run and install updates...
    >
    > how do I properly deal with this issue?
    >
    > MAC

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > ok... I got a bunch of remote users that connect via VPN to our corporate
    > network. I need to restrict their permission level from local
    > Administrator so they can't install unauthorized software. However if I
    > make them regualr users without admin permissionth the the automatic
    > windows update will not be able to run and install updates...
    >
    > how do I properly deal with this issue?
    >
    > MAC

    Automatic updates *will* be installed for them as long as you tell it to
    download and install automatically. If you choose the setting to notify the
    user, only admins will be able to see (and therefore accept) the
    notification. So in other words (and I'm almost quoting from Microsoft's
    site here) the only way that Automatic Updates will work properly if users
    are not local admins, is to schedule them to install completely
    automatically.

    As an aside, you may also want to look at other Microsoft products such as

    SUS (gives you a bit of control over the Automatic Updates... although won't
    really help your specific issue):
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/default.mspx

    WUS (which will replace SUS):
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/wus/default.mspx

    and SMS: http://www.microsoft.com/smserver/
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    thx.

    whatabout permissions issue? the will need to be local admins, right? or can
    I just run the winupdate with admin permissions?

    > "Using the Windows Update Corporate Site for Dynamic Update"
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prba_dwp_aefd.asp
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "MAC" <no_spam_ad_888@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> ok... I got a bunch of remote users that connect via VPN to our corporate
    >> network. I need to restrict their permission level from local
    >> Administrator so they can't install unauthorized software. However if I
    >> make them regualr users without admin permissionth the the automatic
    >> windows update will not be able to run and install updates...
    >>
    >> how do I properly deal with this issue?
    >>
    >> MAC

Windows Update Microsoft Permissions Windows XP