Partitioned HD?

December 27, 2004 9:58:29 PM

How do I get rid of my HD partition? I have a "C and D" drive sharing the
same HD. Do I have to re-instal XP fresh? I remember a point in the install
asking about partition, I was confused and must have left it in. (Compaq
factory WinME, partitiond HD, I installed XP upgrade as a "Fresh Instal")

More about : partitioned

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 1:08:13 AM

If you delete a partition using Windows XP, you will permanently lose
everything in the partition. To combine your partitions into one, you could
reinstall Windows and all your software, but a simpler solution is to use
third party partitioning software. Try Norton Partition Magic 8.0 by
Symantec. Be warned that repartitioning a hard disk is not a job for the
novice. Make a mistake here and you'll lose everything on your hard disk.
Make sure to read and follow thw directions very carefully.

Ted Zieglar

"Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How do I get rid of my HD partition? I have a "C and D" drive sharing the
> same HD. Do I have to re-instal XP fresh? I remember a point in the
> install
> asking about partition, I was confused and must have left it in. (Compaq
> factory WinME, partitiond HD, I installed XP upgrade as a "Fresh Instal")

Anonymous
December 28, 2004 5:58:47 PM

"Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote:

>How do I get rid of my HD partition? I have a "C and D" drive sharing the
>same HD. Do I have to re-instal XP fresh? I remember a point in the install
>asking about partition, I was confused and must have left it in. (Compaq
>factory WinME, partitiond HD, I installed XP upgrade as a "Fresh Instal")

Why would you want to do this? Depending on the size of the hard
drive it is best to have at least two partitions, or better yet three.

I just setup a 160 gig drive on this computer with nine partitions.
Much easer to manage. On my notebooks with 20 gig drives I have three
on one and four on the other.

As an example, C: for the operating system, D: for applications, E:
for data. Without going into a ton of details for this, if you have
system trouble and need to reinstall the OS you will not loose the
data in the other partitions. If your saved data (such as word
processor output) is in another partition then all you need to back up
is that partition. Defragging and other maintenance operations will
be easer with multi partitions.

--
Full timer
Related resources

I have been asked this before... I went along with it, but now with only a
20 gig HD split 5/15 and system files taking 3-5 gig I only have about a 10
gig HD. I bought a 160 gig external HD for backup/storage etc, I was just
wanting more room on my main HD for the new larger game. I will get a larger
internal HD someday.

<no_spam@no_where.invalid> wrote in message
> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >How do I get rid of my HD partition? I have a "C and D" drive sharing the
> >same HD. Do I have to re-instal XP fresh? I remember a point in the
install
> >asking about partition, I was confused and must have left it in. (Compaq
> >factory WinME, partitiond HD, I installed XP upgrade as a "Fresh Instal")
> >
> Why would you want to do this? Depending on the size of the hard
> drive it is best to have at least two partitions, or better yet three.
>
> I just setup a 160 gig drive on this computer with nine partitions.
> Much easer to manage. On my notebooks with 20 gig drives I have three
> on one and four on the other.
>
> As an example, C: for the operating system, D: for applications, E:
> for data. Without going into a ton of details for this, if you have
> system trouble and need to reinstall the OS you will not loose the
> data in the other partitions. If your saved data (such as word
> processor output) is in another partition then all you need to back up
> is that partition. Defragging and other maintenance operations will
> be easer with multi partitions.
>
> --
> Full timer
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:23:07 PM

Having seen your advice on partitioning I would be grateful for some help.

I recently formatted a 80GB hard drive and reloaded XP. I set up two
partitions, each of 20GB but failed to allocate the remainder and now have
40GB of unusable space.

Have tried to allocate using disk management in XP but error msg indicates
it does not want to do that (although is not specific other than suggesting I
reboot).

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks very much.

"Ted Zieglar" wrote:

> If you delete a partition using Windows XP, you will permanently lose
> everything in the partition. To combine your partitions into one, you could
> reinstall Windows and all your software, but a simpler solution is to use
> third party partitioning software. Try Norton Partition Magic 8.0 by
> Symantec. Be warned that repartitioning a hard disk is not a job for the
> novice. Make a mistake here and you'll lose everything on your hard disk.
> Make sure to read and follow thw directions very carefully.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > How do I get rid of my HD partition? I have a "C and D" drive sharing the
> > same HD. Do I have to re-instal XP fresh? I remember a point in the
> > install
> > asking about partition, I was confused and must have left it in. (Compaq
> > factory WinME, partitiond HD, I installed XP upgrade as a "Fresh Instal")

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 3:52:28 PM

Hi Moffer,

My advise would be to use Bootit NG for partition resizing.
A full featured 30 day free trial of BING can be downloaded at
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

Newsgroup support for BootIt NG:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/oehelp.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Moffer wrote:
> Having seen your advice on partitioning I would be
> grateful for some help.
>
> I recently formatted a 80GB hard drive and reloaded XP. I
> set up two partitions, each of 20GB but failed to
> allocate the remainder and now have 40GB of unusable
> space.
>
> Have tried to allocate using disk management in XP but
> error msg indicates it does not want to do that (although
> is not specific other than suggesting I reboot).
>
> Any advice would be gratefully received.
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
>
>> If you delete a partition using Windows XP, you will
>> permanently lose everything in the partition. To combine
>> your partitions into one, you could reinstall Windows
>> and all your software, but a simpler solution is to use
>> third party partitioning software. Try Norton Partition
>> Magic 8.0 by Symantec. Be warned that repartitioning a
>> hard disk is not a job for the novice. Make a mistake
>> here and you'll lose everything on your hard disk. Make
>> sure to read and follow thw directions very carefully.
>>
>> Ted Zieglar
>>
>> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> How do I get rid of my HD partition? I have a "C and D"
>>> drive sharing the same HD. Do I have to re-instal XP
>>> fresh? I remember a point in the install
>>> asking about partition, I was confused and must have
>>> left it in. (Compaq factory WinME, partitiond HD, I
>>> installed XP upgrade as a "Fresh Instal")
Anonymous
February 28, 2005 4:35:07 PM

Bert

Thanks for that. Cannot find the 30 day free trial though. Any other
suggestions?

Regards

Moffer

!