Partitioned HD?

How do I get rid of my HD partition? I have a "C and D" drive sharing the
same HD. Do I have to re-instal XP fresh? I remember a point in the install
asking about partition, I was confused and must have left it in. (Compaq
factory WinME, partitiond HD, I installed XP upgrade as a "Fresh Instal")
6 answers Last reply
More about partitioned

    If you delete a partition using Windows XP, you will permanently lose
    everything in the partition. To combine your partitions into one, you could
    reinstall Windows and all your software, but a simpler solution is to use
    third party partitioning software. Try Norton Partition Magic 8.0 by
    Symantec. Be warned that repartitioning a hard disk is not a job for the
    novice. Make a mistake here and you'll lose everything on your hard disk.
    Make sure to read and follow thw directions very carefully.

    Ted Zieglar

    "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How do I get rid of my HD partition? I have a "C and D" drive sharing the
    > same HD. Do I have to re-instal XP fresh? I remember a point in the
    > install
    > asking about partition, I was confused and must have left it in. (Compaq
    > factory WinME, partitiond HD, I installed XP upgrade as a "Fresh Instal")

    "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >How do I get rid of my HD partition? I have a "C and D" drive sharing the
    >same HD. Do I have to re-instal XP fresh? I remember a point in the install
    >asking about partition, I was confused and must have left it in. (Compaq
    >factory WinME, partitiond HD, I installed XP upgrade as a "Fresh Instal")

    Why would you want to do this? Depending on the size of the hard
    drive it is best to have at least two partitions, or better yet three.

    I just setup a 160 gig drive on this computer with nine partitions.
    Much easer to manage. On my notebooks with 20 gig drives I have three
    on one and four on the other.

    As an example, C: for the operating system, D: for applications, E:
    for data. Without going into a ton of details for this, if you have
    system trouble and need to reinstall the OS you will not loose the
    data in the other partitions. If your saved data (such as word
    processor output) is in another partition then all you need to back up
    is that partition. Defragging and other maintenance operations will
    be easer with multi partitions.

    --
    Full timer

    I have been asked this before... I went along with it, but now with only a
    20 gig HD split 5/15 and system files taking 3-5 gig I only have about a 10
    gig HD. I bought a 160 gig external HD for backup/storage etc, I was just
    wanting more room on my main HD for the new larger game. I will get a larger
    internal HD someday.

    <no_spam@no_where.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >How do I get rid of my HD partition? I have a "C and D" drive sharing the
    > >same HD. Do I have to re-instal XP fresh? I remember a point in the
    install
    > >asking about partition, I was confused and must have left it in. (Compaq
    > >factory WinME, partitiond HD, I installed XP upgrade as a "Fresh Instal")
    > >
    > Why would you want to do this? Depending on the size of the hard
    > drive it is best to have at least two partitions, or better yet three.
    >
    > I just setup a 160 gig drive on this computer with nine partitions.
    > Much easer to manage. On my notebooks with 20 gig drives I have three
    > on one and four on the other.
    >
    > As an example, C: for the operating system, D: for applications, E:
    > for data. Without going into a ton of details for this, if you have
    > system trouble and need to reinstall the OS you will not loose the
    > data in the other partitions. If your saved data (such as word
    > processor output) is in another partition then all you need to back up
    > is that partition. Defragging and other maintenance operations will
    > be easer with multi partitions.
    >
    > --
    > Full timer

    Having seen your advice on partitioning I would be grateful for some help.

    I recently formatted a 80GB hard drive and reloaded XP. I set up two
    partitions, each of 20GB but failed to allocate the remainder and now have
    40GB of unusable space.

    Have tried to allocate using disk management in XP but error msg indicates
    it does not want to do that (although is not specific other than suggesting I
    reboot).

    Any advice would be gratefully received.

    Thanks very much.

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:

    > If you delete a partition using Windows XP, you will permanently lose
    > everything in the partition. To combine your partitions into one, you could
    > reinstall Windows and all your software, but a simpler solution is to use
    > third party partitioning software. Try Norton Partition Magic 8.0 by
    > Symantec. Be warned that repartitioning a hard disk is not a job for the
    > novice. Make a mistake here and you'll lose everything on your hard disk.
    > Make sure to read and follow thw directions very carefully.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar
    >
    > "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > How do I get rid of my HD partition? I have a "C and D" drive sharing the
    > > same HD. Do I have to re-instal XP fresh? I remember a point in the
    > > install
    > > asking about partition, I was confused and must have left it in. (Compaq
    > > factory WinME, partitiond HD, I installed XP upgrade as a "Fresh Instal")

    Hi Moffer,

    My advise would be to use Bootit NG for partition resizing.
    A full featured 30 day free trial of BING can be downloaded at
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/

    Newsgroup support for BootIt NG:
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/oehelp.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

    Moffer wrote:
    > Having seen your advice on partitioning I would be
    > grateful for some help.
    >
    > I recently formatted a 80GB hard drive and reloaded XP. I
    > set up two partitions, each of 20GB but failed to
    > allocate the remainder and now have 40GB of unusable
    > space.
    >
    > Have tried to allocate using disk management in XP but
    > error msg indicates it does not want to do that (although
    > is not specific other than suggesting I reboot).
    >
    > Any advice would be gratefully received.
    >
    > Thanks very much.
    >
    > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    >
    >> If you delete a partition using Windows XP, you will
    >> permanently lose everything in the partition. To combine
    >> your partitions into one, you could reinstall Windows
    >> and all your software, but a simpler solution is to use
    >> third party partitioning software. Try Norton Partition
    >> Magic 8.0 by Symantec. Be warned that repartitioning a
    >> hard disk is not a job for the novice. Make a mistake
    >> here and you'll lose everything on your hard disk. Make
    >> sure to read and follow thw directions very carefully.
    >>
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >>
    >> "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> How do I get rid of my HD partition? I have a "C and D"
    >>> drive sharing the same HD. Do I have to re-instal XP
    >>> fresh? I remember a point in the install
    >>> asking about partition, I was confused and must have
    >>> left it in. (Compaq factory WinME, partitiond HD, I
    >>> installed XP upgrade as a "Fresh Instal")

    Bert

    Thanks for that. Cannot find the 30 day free trial though. Any other
    suggestions?

    Regards

    Moffer

Partition HD Windows XP