beth

I try to run my defragger and I keep getting the message the defragmentation
of (C:) has been aborted due to inconsistencies that were detected in the
file system. Run chkdsk or scandsk on (C:) to repair these inconsistencies
and run defragger again. I do this and still cant run defragger. Can anyone
help please

Visit the web site of your hard disk manufacturer and go to the technical
support section. There you will find diagnostic tests and the instructions
for using them. Error Checking (chkdsk) is a fine tool, but your hard disk
manufacturer's diagnostic tests will be more thorough.

If you are unable to fix the errors in your disk, you'll need to replace it.
--
Ted Zieglar

"Beth" <Beth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I try to run my defragger and I keep getting the message the
defragmentation
> of (C:) has been aborted due to inconsistencies that were detected in the
> file system. Run chkdsk or scandsk on (C:) to repair these inconsistencies
> and run defragger again. I do this and still cant run defragger. Can
anyone
> help please

Running chkdsk will not repair or fix any issues you might have. It only
"checks" it. To repair any issues you need to use the switch (space) /f,
where "f" represents fixing any found problems. If that doesn't take care of
it you might try a 3rd party utility called "TuneUp 2004", available at
http://www.tweakxp.com. I think they offer a free 15 day trial. Run every
module in it and you should be taken care of. You could also try (a much
smalled diag program) called "1clickfix"....you might get lucky there, and
it's available at the same site.

"Beth" wrote:

> I try to run my defragger and I keep getting the message the defragmentation
> of (C:) has been aborted due to inconsistencies that were detected in the
> file system. Run chkdsk or scandsk on (C:) to repair these inconsistencies
> and run defragger again. I do this and still cant run defragger. Can anyone
> help please

the command is chkdsk /f and you will need to answer yes to check the
disk at next reboot. Then exit the cmd window and reboot the system so
chkdsk can run.

--
wanderer

TRENDING THREADS