help with ancient 5wv270

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Some one gave me a 5WV270.

I know squat about Compaq. I hear that typically there are proprietary
parts and non-standard procedures to follow.

First, the CDROM isn't recognized at DOS or Windows. Does this CDROM
drive require a special driver? (It autodetects as a CDROM but there's
a star in from of the CDROM, like device x : *cdrom)

Second, the video TNT Vanta card defaults to 640 x 480. Does it
require a special Compaq video driver to work properly? I recall that
techs couldn't make it work for the original owner.

hh

Drivers are here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=93920&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&submit.y=3&submit.x=6&lang=en&cc=us

Have you tried uninstalling the CD-ROM drive in Device Manager and then see
if Windows will redetect it?
HH