win 95 to xp upgrade, new rig, old hard drive

jimdecker

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2005
Just wondering if anyone thinks this idea has any chance of working.

My old computer has Win 98 2nd edition and a new fast hard drive. I'd like to build a new rig, but use that hard drive. My dad gave me his win xp upgrade cd which he never used.

So I want to build the new rig with the win98 hard drive, will it have any chance of booting ok? Could I at least get into safe mode, or dos mode, then insert the win xp upgrade cd, and have that new operating system overwrite my old win98 stuff? Just hoping I could use my dad's cd without having to buy the full win xp install edition.

Anybody tried something like this before?

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Since the hardware is going to be different from the old rig chances are that it won't work.
If you have the win98 CD build your new rig and then do a fresh win 98 install, after that upgrade with your win xp cd.

<font color=red>It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious<font color=red>

joe_tlj

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
From what I hear, you DON'T need to install an older OS in order to upgrade to Windows XP. The Install promts for an older Windows install cd, and after it verifies the disc, proceeds to install Windows XP. Both ways work, but this way will give you a much more "clean" install.

I can't breath!
Forgive me a cruel chuckle, hehe, power!

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I haven't tried the way Joe describes it, but if it works you'll definitely get a cleaner install that way.

Good luck

<font color=red>It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious<font color=red>