need advice on this...

Shocwavez

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
some input would be great. I have the A7V paired with a radeon 32ddr. Now I'm just itchin' to get the radeon 8500 but will putting this new video card on the A7V be hampered by SDRAM or maybe some other things I dont know about? Should I upgrade mobo before getting it?
thank you kind sirs and sir-ets.

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
A new video card should extend the lifespan of your current computer, as well as allow you to not have to upgrade it later. Your processor is effected more by your Ram than your Video card, especialy if it has a large ammount of ram (64+)

Chesnuts roasting on an open CPU
Bill Gates nipping at your wallet

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
uh well what CPU and how much ram do u have?

install the card and see how it goes first, if you want yet more power, upgrade mobo and get DDR, maybe a faster CPU...and then theres always more ways to upgrade - theres ALWAYS more things to upgrade, it never ends. see if you like what you got and upgrade only if its needed :)

I suppose you could get 256mb DDR and a KT266A for what, $150 (i only look at UK prices)?, so if the money is burning a hole...

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"

Shocwavez

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
specs:
1200 t-bird
386mb PC133

and thanks for the input guys I'm drooling over that KT266a. Time to crack open the money vault.

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>

Tyvy

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2001
ATI?? Come on.. ATI just plain suck! They write drivers that never work.. Always some problems.. and they update them every 12 months..
Get Drivers!
Get Excellent GFX
Get No Prob's
---GEFORCE 2 GTS-----

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
uh in the Graphics Card forum theres a big fight between GeForce3 and ATI 8500, people getting upset. which is really quite amusing in quite a sad way. both boards fantastic and more than anyone actually needs right now, and new ATI drivers out (not read about them tho). personally i got GF3Ti200 if it ever arrives, if id had more money it would have been a stinker of a decision between GF3Ti500 and ATI 8500. well not that stinky since its a rare "fantastic Vs fabulous" decision. and actually i refuse to spend that amount of money on... er you get the idea.

[edit: re-reading the post, is someone actually saying dont bother getting a 8500, get a GeForce2 GTS instead?? uh ok]

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DaveGOD on 11/22/01 03:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>