danielle

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2004

Hay there James, have you tried to do a system restore>? That is the easist
way to fix stuff, if you just can't do what you used to be able to do for
whatever reason.
just goto your start/accessories/system tools/system restore and follow the
prompts
to what date you would like to go back to. Than restart and you will have
lost
enything from that date to present as you will be goin back to that date but
if its
stuff you can just jot down so you can go back to the sites and reinstall em
than it
should be just fine. If you have stuff that you don't want to loose well
take steps
to save to floppy first but remember if your now infected with something and
you
don't know whare it came from the stuff your saving onto floppy if infected
will
stay infected that is why I say just jot down the stuff you need to
reinstall and than
after doing your restore go to those site and reinstall you won't be
reinstalling
virus's. hope this helps and a question for you,.. do you know how to stop
things that startup automaticaly? with out like permenatly deleting them? I
know
there has got to be a way I just cant figure it out I am using XP and this is
new for me I was windows 98!! So I don't know whare anything is anymore!!
thanks hope you can help. Danielle

"James" wrote:

> hey i want to reset my pc, like to when i first bought it, can anyone help
>
> thanks

"reset ..."

That's a good idea!
Imagine a little Reset button on the back of all computers. Could be a very
useful feature ... since System Restore doesn't "remember" THE FIRST Restore
Point.

If you understood System Restore you would realize how foolish you sound.

Ted Zieglar

"r" <r@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "reset ..."
>
> That's a good idea!
> Imagine a little Reset button on the back of all computers. Could be a
> very
> useful feature ... since System Restore doesn't "remember" THE FIRST
> Restore
> Point.

Reset as in reinstall? This depends upon your machine. If your pc came with
a set of recovery discs you can use these to completely reinstall your
system. The system will then be just as you purchased it from the shop,
less, of course, the wear and tear you subjected the machine to in the
meantime. If you don't have recovery disc you may have a hidden partition on
your machine that holds the operating system files etc. Check your pc manual
for recovery options. If, on the other hand, you have a retail copy of
windows xp then you can reinstall from that cd - obviously, though, if your
pc came with other software installed you should have the cd's for that
also.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
"James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hey i want to reset my pc, like to when i first bought it, can anyone help
>
> thanks

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

hey i tryed system restore but i want to get rid of everything on my hard
drive cause i have got too much junk on it and my pc is goin slow

"Windows XP Clean Install (Interactive Setup)"
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

"Protect Your PC"
www.microsoft.com/protect
--