Large size of the Windows XP swapfile on my PC

Why does my PC have a SWAP file of the size of 366MB???????
I mean, I have no application open, and the SWAPFILE is this big????????????
Hilarious.

--
Sven Van de Velde

null

Sven Van de Velde wrote:
> Why does my PC have a SWAP file of the size of 366MB???????
> I mean, I have no application open, and the SWAPFILE is this big????????????
> Hilarious.

Odds are that you have one or more applications open, although you deny
it. Check your systray - you probably have: an antivirus app running,
the clock running, your internet connection running, perhaps a
third-party firewall running, etc.

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.

Why do you think it's hilarious? If you understood how virtual memory works,
you would realize that your post makes no sense.

But I'm not blaming you for thinking that way. Virtual memory is widely
misunderstood because it's so complicated. And it's the kind of subject
where you need to understand the whole thing in order to understand any part
of it. So take it easy.

Alex Nichol has written a good introduction to virtual memory:

"Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm
--
Ted Zieglar

"Sven Van de Velde" <SvenVandeVelde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:29E87CB0-84B0-4887-92C6-DA408C158C4D@microsoft.com...
> Why does my PC have a SWAP file of the size of 366MB???????
> I mean, I have no application open, and the SWAPFILE is this
big????????????
> Hilarious.
>
> --
> Sven Van de Velde

So you have 256 meg of RAM in your computer?

Virtual Memory = RAM x 1.5

You can make it smaller using the Performance tab in your System
Properties (My Computer)

Ted Zieglar wrote:

> Why do you think it's hilarious? If you understood how virtual memory works,
> you would realize that your post makes no sense.
>
> But I'm not blaming you for thinking that way. Virtual memory is widely
> misunderstood because it's so complicated. And it's the kind of subject
> where you need to understand the whole thing in order to understand any part
> of it. So take it easy.
>
> Alex Nichol has written a good introduction to virtual memory:
>
> "Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Sven Van de Velde" <SvenVandeVelde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:29E87CB0-84B0-4887-92C6-DA408C158C4D@microsoft.com...
> Why does my PC have a SWAP file of the size of 366MB???????
> I mean, I have no application open, and the SWAPFILE is this
> big????????????
> Hilarious.

Windows needs a swap file 1 1/2 the amount of memory that you have
installed.
This is needed for a memory dump. Apparently you have 256MB of installed
RAM.
My swap file is 1536/3072. I don't think that it is ever used. It doesn't
affect
anything one way or the other.
Incidentally you are hilarious showing your lack of knowledge.....

I meant actually, my SWAP file is around 600MB big, but 366 MB of it is
used!!!!

"Frank" wrote:

> "Sven Van de Velde" <SvenVandeVelde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:29E87CB0-84B0-4887-92C6-DA408C158C4D@microsoft.com...
> > Why does my PC have a SWAP file of the size of 366MB???????
> > I mean, I have no application open, and the SWAPFILE is this
> > big????????????
> > Hilarious.
>
> Windows needs a swap file 1 1/2 the amount of memory that you have
> installed.
> This is needed for a memory dump. Apparently you have 256MB of installed
> RAM.
> My swap file is 1536/3072. I don't think that it is ever used. It doesn't
> affect
> anything one way or the other.
> Incidentally you are hilarious showing your lack of knowledge.....

I mean, of a 600MB SWAP FILE, 366MB of memory being used on my PC to do
actually NOTHING additionally.
Hilarious.
Do you have any idea how many books you needed to write to fill 366 MB?

Sven Van de Velde wrote:
> I mean, of a 600MB SWAP FILE, 366MB of memory being used on my PC to do
> actually NOTHING additionally.
> Hilarious.
> Do you have any idea how many books you needed to write to fill 366 MB?

The answer to that question will depend upon the format of the document
and what, if any, graphics are included. ;-)