Large size of the Windows XP swapfile on my PC

Why does my PC have a SWAP file of the size of 366MB???????
I mean, I have no application open, and the SWAPFILE is this big????????????
Hilarious.

--
Sven Van de Velde
7 answers Last reply

    Sven Van de Velde wrote:
    > Why does my PC have a SWAP file of the size of 366MB???????
    > I mean, I have no application open, and the SWAPFILE is this big????????????
    > Hilarious.

    Odds are that you have one or more applications open, although you deny
    it. Check your systray - you probably have: an antivirus app running,
    the clock running, your internet connection running, perhaps a
    third-party firewall running, etc.

    posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    of this message.

    Why do you think it's hilarious? If you understood how virtual memory works,
    you would realize that your post makes no sense.

    But I'm not blaming you for thinking that way. Virtual memory is widely
    misunderstood because it's so complicated. And it's the kind of subject
    where you need to understand the whole thing in order to understand any part
    of it. So take it easy.

    Alex Nichol has written a good introduction to virtual memory:

    "Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Sven Van de Velde" <SvenVandeVelde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:29E87CB0-84B0-4887-92C6-DA408C158C4D@microsoft.com...
    > Why does my PC have a SWAP file of the size of 366MB???????
    > I mean, I have no application open, and the SWAPFILE is this
    big????????????
    > Hilarious.
    >
    > --
    > Sven Van de Velde

    So you have 256 meg of RAM in your computer?

    Virtual Memory = RAM x 1.5

    You can make it smaller using the Performance tab in your System
    Properties (My Computer)

    Ted Zieglar wrote:

    > Why do you think it's hilarious? If you understood how virtual memory works,
    > you would realize that your post makes no sense.
    >
    > But I'm not blaming you for thinking that way. Virtual memory is widely
    > misunderstood because it's so complicated. And it's the kind of subject
    > where you need to understand the whole thing in order to understand any part
    > of it. So take it easy.
    >
    > Alex Nichol has written a good introduction to virtual memory:
    >
    > "Virtual Memory in Windows XP"
    > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

    "Sven Van de Velde" <SvenVandeVelde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:29E87CB0-84B0-4887-92C6-DA408C158C4D@microsoft.com...
    > Why does my PC have a SWAP file of the size of 366MB???????
    > I mean, I have no application open, and the SWAPFILE is this
    > big????????????
    > Hilarious.

    Windows needs a swap file 1 1/2 the amount of memory that you have
    installed.
    This is needed for a memory dump. Apparently you have 256MB of installed
    RAM.
    My swap file is 1536/3072. I don't think that it is ever used. It doesn't
    affect
    anything one way or the other.
    Incidentally you are hilarious showing your lack of knowledge.....

    I meant actually, my SWAP file is around 600MB big, but 366 MB of it is
    used!!!!

    "Frank" wrote:

    > "Sven Van de Velde" <SvenVandeVelde@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:29E87CB0-84B0-4887-92C6-DA408C158C4D@microsoft.com...
    > > Why does my PC have a SWAP file of the size of 366MB???????
    > > I mean, I have no application open, and the SWAPFILE is this
    > > big????????????
    > > Hilarious.
    >
    > Windows needs a swap file 1 1/2 the amount of memory that you have
    > installed.
    > This is needed for a memory dump. Apparently you have 256MB of installed
    > RAM.
    > My swap file is 1536/3072. I don't think that it is ever used. It doesn't
    > affect
    > anything one way or the other.
    > Incidentally you are hilarious showing your lack of knowledge.....

    I mean, of a 600MB SWAP FILE, 366MB of memory being used on my PC to do
    actually NOTHING additionally.
    Hilarious.
    Do you have any idea how many books you needed to write to fill 366 MB?

    Sven Van de Velde wrote:
    > I mean, of a 600MB SWAP FILE, 366MB of memory being used on my PC to do
    > actually NOTHING additionally.
    > Hilarious.
    > Do you have any idea how many books you needed to write to fill 366 MB?

    The answer to that question will depend upon the format of the document
    and what, if any, graphics are included. ;-)

    posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    of this message.

Microsoft Windows XP