cd writing problem

when I try to write to a cd, pictures, I get the message cd wizard unable to
finish writing to cd and in details it says that my cd maybe unusable. I have
tried 8 different cd's and 2 different brands. Can any one help?I am using XP
5 answers Last reply
More about writing problem

    Copying "pictures" -- sounds like a creepy buffer under-run problem.
    Only solution I know of is to make sure you have downloaded the latest
    CD-writing software. Roxio is usually the writing software used with
    most systems today. But writing of large files has been known to cause
    problems. You are not alone.

    stacey wrote:

    > when I try to write to a cd, pictures, I get the message cd wizard unable to
    > finish writing to cd and in details it says that my cd maybe unusable. I have
    > tried 8 different cd's and 2 different brands. Can any one help?I am using XP

    please provide more details. what software are you using ? within the
    software, what options are you using to write the files ? (for example,
    Drag-to-Disk or Creator Classic, in Roxio ?) what brand and model of
    hardware are you using ? is the specific model in the Hardware
    Compatibility List for Win XP ? in Properties for the CDR drive, do you
    have a Recording tab ? in Properties for the CDR drive, is the box checked
    labeled "Enable Recording" ?

    "stacey" <stacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    when I try to write to a cd, pictures, I get the message cd wizard unable to
    finish writing to cd and in details it says that my cd maybe unusable. I
    have
    tried 8 different cd's and 2 different brands. Can any one help?I am using
    XP

    I am using Windows xp " write files to cd" right click files send to cd, open
    cd-rw drive and click on write these files. The hardware came on the computer
    45 years ago and it is a cd-rom and burner in one. The enable box is
    checked.I have 14gb of free space left on hard drive. I have not used it in a
    while but to the best of my memory it worked fine befor downloading sp2, is
    this possible?

    "JW" wrote:

    > please provide more details. what software are you using ? within the
    > software, what options are you using to write the files ? (for example,
    > Drag-to-Disk or Creator Classic, in Roxio ?) what brand and model of
    > hardware are you using ? is the specific model in the Hardware
    > Compatibility List for Win XP ? in Properties for the CDR drive, do you
    > have a Recording tab ? in Properties for the CDR drive, is the box checked
    > labeled "Enable Recording" ?
    >

    > "stacey" <stacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > when I try to write to a cd, pictures, I get the message cd wizard unable to
    > finish writing to cd and in details it says that my cd maybe unusable. I
    > have
    > tried 8 different cd's and 2 different brands. Can any one help?I am using
    > XP

    i don't know for sure what could be causing your problem, but i won't leave
    you with nothing. the last morsel of advice i can leave with you is check
    Windows Hardware Compatibility List to see if your CD-RW brand/model is
    compatible or not with Windows XP. i struggled with the same problem as you
    for months. my attempt to upgrade the firmware failed with a meaningless
    message like "DMA mode caused the update to fail. Use PIO mode instead."
    finally i did what i should have done to begin with (check the Hardware
    Compatibility List to see if the brand/model is compatible or not). that's
    when i finally found out that my CD-RW brand/model is Not on the
    Compatibility List. therefore, it Might work and might Not.

    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

    the web site above won't solve the problem either, but it will explain the
    complexity of it all more accurately than i can. in laymans' terms, this
    world of CD-RW hardware and software might be best compared to an "Imaginary
    World" where you cannot stick a floppy disk into a floppy disk drive and
    count on being able to read and write, because (a) floppy disk drive
    manufacturers do not always include instructions into the circuitry of the
    floppy disk drive that is compatible with Windows, (b) even when they do,
    Windows still fails sometimes to write reliably to the floopy disk drive,
    (c) software updates are required to fix problems Windows had writing data
    to some floppy disk drives, (d) there are different incompatible formats in
    which data is placed on the floppy disk, (e) sometimes Windows recognizes
    the floppy disk drive as a Read-only device, (f) other software packages are
    sometimes required for Windows to recognize the floppy disk drive as a
    Writable device, (g) other software packages from other companies sometimes
    cause conflicts with Windows, causing failures in one or the other, (h)
    other software packages are required though, in order to write data in
    formats that Windows cannot, (i) if the floppy disk drive writes data too
    fast, then the buffer might go empty, and render the floppy disk unreadable,
    and possibly (j) for all i know, PIO mode versus DMA mode might be a factor,
    whatever that means.

    maybe the number of possible explanations for failure is the same number of
    combinations and permutations you can get from the following : (1) CD-RW
    hardware, (2) CD-RW firmware, (3) missing updates in Windows, (4) values of
    check boxes in Windows such as "Enable Recording", (5) presence/absence of
    other software that might conflict with Windows, (6) format chosen for
    writing data, (7) presence/absence of buffer underrun protection, (8) speed
    chosen to write the data, (9) and so on and so on .....

    "JW" wrote:

    > please provide more details. what software are you using ? within the
    > software, what options are you using to write the files ? (for example,
    > Drag-to-Disk or Creator Classic, in Roxio ?) what brand and model of
    > hardware are you using ? is the specific model in the Hardware
    > Compatibility List for Win XP ? in Properties for the CDR drive, do you
    > have a Recording tab ? in Properties for the CDR drive, is the box
    > checked
    > labeled "Enable Recording" ?
    >

    > "stacey" <stacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > when I try to write to a cd, pictures, I get the message cd wizard unable
    > finish writing to cd and in details it says that my cd maybe unusable. I
    > have
    > tried 8 different cd's and 2 different brands. Can any one help?I am using
    > XP

    I'd like to know the answer to that one as well. A+ folks would love
    this one. If your CD drive attaches to an IDE cable, then it is
    conceviable it predates the EIDE standards which embedded the ATAPI
    protocol. SP2, and to some extent Windows XP SP1, have progressively
    discarded backward-compatibility to legacy hardware.

Microsoft CD-Rom Windows XP