  • Microsoft
  • CD-Rom
  • Windows XP
December 29, 2004 11:43:01 PM

when I try to write to a cd, pictures, I get the message cd wizard unable to
finish writing to cd and in details it says that my cd maybe unusable. I have
tried 8 different cd's and 2 different brands. Can any one help?I am using XP

More about : writing problem

Anonymous
December 30, 2004 4:18:50 AM

Copying "pictures" -- sounds like a creepy buffer under-run problem.
Only solution I know of is to make sure you have downloaded the latest
CD-writing software. Roxio is usually the writing software used with
most systems today. But writing of large files has been known to cause
problems. You are not alone.

stacey wrote:

> when I try to write to a cd, pictures, I get the message cd wizard unable to
> finish writing to cd and in details it says that my cd maybe unusable. I have
> tried 8 different cd's and 2 different brands. Can any one help?I am using XP
December 30, 2004 1:36:22 PM

please provide more details. what software are you using ? within the
software, what options are you using to write the files ? (for example,
Drag-to-Disk or Creator Classic, in Roxio ?) what brand and model of
hardware are you using ? is the specific model in the Hardware
Compatibility List for Win XP ? in Properties for the CDR drive, do you
have a Recording tab ? in Properties for the CDR drive, is the box checked
labeled "Enable Recording" ?

"stacey" <stacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
when I try to write to a cd, pictures, I get the message cd wizard unable to
finish writing to cd and in details it says that my cd maybe unusable. I
have
tried 8 different cd's and 2 different brands. Can any one help?I am using
XP
December 30, 2004 1:36:23 PM

I am using Windows xp " write files to cd" right click files send to cd, open
cd-rw drive and click on write these files. The hardware came on the computer
45 years ago and it is a cd-rom and burner in one. The enable box is
checked.I have 14gb of free space left on hard drive. I have not used it in a
while but to the best of my memory it worked fine befor downloading sp2, is
this possible?

"JW" wrote:

> please provide more details. what software are you using ? within the
> software, what options are you using to write the files ? (for example,
> Drag-to-Disk or Creator Classic, in Roxio ?) what brand and model of
> hardware are you using ? is the specific model in the Hardware
> Compatibility List for Win XP ? in Properties for the CDR drive, do you
> have a Recording tab ? in Properties for the CDR drive, is the box checked
> labeled "Enable Recording" ?
>

> "stacey" <stacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when I try to write to a cd, pictures, I get the message cd wizard unable to
> finish writing to cd and in details it says that my cd maybe unusable. I
> have
> tried 8 different cd's and 2 different brands. Can any one help?I am using
> XP

December 31, 2004 9:18:46 AM

i don't know for sure what could be causing your problem, but i won't leave
you with nothing. the last morsel of advice i can leave with you is check
Windows Hardware Compatibility List to see if your CD-RW brand/model is
compatible or not with Windows XP. i struggled with the same problem as you
for months. my attempt to upgrade the firmware failed with a meaningless
message like "DMA mode caused the update to fail. Use PIO mode instead."
finally i did what i should have done to begin with (check the Hardware
Compatibility List to see if the brand/model is compatible or not). that's
when i finally found out that my CD-RW brand/model is Not on the
Compatibility List. therefore, it Might work and might Not.

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm

the web site above won't solve the problem either, but it will explain the
complexity of it all more accurately than i can. in laymans' terms, this
world of CD-RW hardware and software might be best compared to an "Imaginary
World" where you cannot stick a floppy disk into a floppy disk drive and
count on being able to read and write, because (a) floppy disk drive
manufacturers do not always include instructions into the circuitry of the
floppy disk drive that is compatible with Windows, (b) even when they do,
Windows still fails sometimes to write reliably to the floopy disk drive,
(c) software updates are required to fix problems Windows had writing data
to some floppy disk drives, (d) there are different incompatible formats in
which data is placed on the floppy disk, (e) sometimes Windows recognizes
the floppy disk drive as a Read-only device, (f) other software packages are
sometimes required for Windows to recognize the floppy disk drive as a
Writable device, (g) other software packages from other companies sometimes
cause conflicts with Windows, causing failures in one or the other, (h)
other software packages are required though, in order to write data in
formats that Windows cannot, (i) if the floppy disk drive writes data too
fast, then the buffer might go empty, and render the floppy disk unreadable,
and possibly (j) for all i know, PIO mode versus DMA mode might be a factor,
whatever that means.

maybe the number of possible explanations for failure is the same number of
combinations and permutations you can get from the following : (1) CD-RW
hardware, (2) CD-RW firmware, (3) missing updates in Windows, (4) values of
check boxes in Windows such as "Enable Recording", (5) presence/absence of
other software that might conflict with Windows, (6) format chosen for
writing data, (7) presence/absence of buffer underrun protection, (8) speed
chosen to write the data, (9) and so on and so on .....

"JW" wrote:

> please provide more details. what software are you using ? within the
> software, what options are you using to write the files ? (for example,
> Drag-to-Disk or Creator Classic, in Roxio ?) what brand and model of
> hardware are you using ? is the specific model in the Hardware
> Compatibility List for Win XP ? in Properties for the CDR drive, do you
> have a Recording tab ? in Properties for the CDR drive, is the box
> checked
> labeled "Enable Recording" ?
>

> "stacey" <stacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> when I try to write to a cd, pictures, I get the message cd wizard unable
> finish writing to cd and in details it says that my cd maybe unusable. I
> have
> tried 8 different cd's and 2 different brands. Can any one help?I am using
> XP

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 9:18:47 AM

I'd like to know the answer to that one as well. A+ folks would love
this one. If your CD drive attaches to an IDE cable, then it is
conceviable it predates the EIDE standards which embedded the ATAPI
protocol. SP2, and to some extent Windows XP SP1, have progressively
discarded backward-compatibility to legacy hardware.

!