I'm running Microsoft XP Home SP2.

I'm having problems with my mouse. It will work just fine & then freeze for
no apparent reason. I've scanned for viruses, re-installed the mouse and
tried a number of other things without luck. It just freezes and won't budge
for weeks on end. Then again for no apparent reason it will work (maybe for
a week .. maybe for 5 minutes ... who knows).

Can anyone help me please!!!

Thanks,
Bernie Sloane

jamie

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002

Bernard: Ironically, this is the sole reason why I stopped by too. I also use
Microsoft XP and my mouse also freezes for no particular reason. Any users
out there know of a fix or suggestions?

"Bernard Sloane" wrote:

> I'm running Microsoft XP Home SP2.
>
> I'm having problems with my mouse. It will work just fine & then freeze for
> no apparent reason. I've scanned for viruses, re-installed the mouse and
> tried a number of other things without luck. It just freezes and won't budge
> for weeks on end. Then again for no apparent reason it will work (maybe for
> a week .. maybe for 5 minutes ... who knows).
>
> Can anyone help me please!!!
>
> Thanks,
> Bernie Sloane

Tasslehoff

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2004

It sounds more like a mouse problem or possibly a USB port/motherboard
problem. What sort of mouse is it. I've got a Logitech Cordless MouseMan
optical which works great, but after the battery runs dry after a couple of
weeks for several hours it takes a bit of tinkering with the connect buttons
after recharging/changing the batteries for a few minutes to get it back up
and running. Can you try it on another computer?

"Bernard Sloane" <bjsloane@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> I'm running Microsoft XP Home SP2.
>
> I'm having problems with my mouse. It will work just fine & then freeze
> for no apparent reason. I've scanned for viruses, re-installed the mouse
> and tried a number of other things without luck. It just freezes and won't
> budge for weeks on end. Then again for no apparent reason it will work
> (maybe for a week .. maybe for 5 minutes ... who knows).
>
> Can anyone help me please!!!
>
> Thanks,
> Bernie Sloane

You may want to check your computer manufaturere web site for updates for
it,also check the mouse manufacturer for updates.I have 3 computers,when
to fix some issues that it had with SP2.That fixed it for me.Good Luck!

"Tasslehoff" wrote:

> It sounds more like a mouse problem or possibly a USB port/motherboard
> problem. What sort of mouse is it. I've got a Logitech Cordless MouseMan
> optical which works great, but after the battery runs dry after a couple of
> weeks for several hours it takes a bit of tinkering with the connect buttons
> after recharging/changing the batteries for a few minutes to get it back up
> and running. Can you try it on another computer?
>
> "Bernard Sloane" <bjsloane@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> > I'm running Microsoft XP Home SP2.
> >
> > I'm having problems with my mouse. It will work just fine & then freeze
> > for no apparent reason. I've scanned for viruses, re-installed the mouse
> > and tried a number of other things without luck. It just freezes and won't
> > budge for weeks on end. Then again for no apparent reason it will work
> > (maybe for a week .. maybe for 5 minutes ... who knows).
> >
> > Can anyone help me please!!!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bernie Sloane

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

My mouse problem began with erratic movement and occasionally it would freeze
resulting in having to reboot. The freeze began occuring at shorter times
after booting up until it finally froze as soon as the desktop opened.
After several appeals to this and other newsgroups I followed all the
suggestions with no help.
Searched for new drivers and found out that I had the latest.
I went to MS Knowledge Base, saw my problem described exactly. Printed off 3
pages of items to delete from the registry, none of which were included in my
registry.

I told a nerd friend my problem and his immediate response was, "Are you using
a Microsoft PS/2?"
I said I was. His immediate response was, "Get a new mouse." That was the
best advice I had from anyone. Got an optical mouse for under $20, installed
it and all my problems are over. This was after a week of fooling around with
searches for answers and useless advice.

Get a new mouse. A real cheap fix.

--
To view some of my art work
http://community.webshots.com/user/rbarone1997

Ray
_______________________________________
While she is out, a real man will kick his wife's cat.
"Bernard Sloane" <bjsloane@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> I'm running Microsoft XP Home SP2.
>
> I'm having problems with my mouse. It will work just fine & then freeze for
> no apparent reason. I've scanned for viruses, re-installed the mouse and
> tried a number of other things without luck. It just freezes and won't budge
> for weeks on end. Then again for no apparent reason it will work (maybe for
> a week .. maybe for 5 minutes ... who knows).
>
> Can anyone help me please!!!
>
> Thanks,
> Bernie Sloane

I have a Laptop running win XP with an Optical Microsoft mouse. I also
started seeing this problem only a few days ago. The mouse will freeze.
To "unfreeze" it I can put the mouse on a different surface but within a
few minutes it will freeze again. It is driving me crazy.

Dave

--
dfortin

Mike

Splendid

My mouse has frozen at start up I can log on to my desk top but the mouse
does nothing. As for the cheap fix yes its a new optical mouse but no it
didn't fix it. I have tried 3 different mice -2 Ps2 and 1 usb . My main
machine is now unaccesible other than looking at the desk top ! Any clues ?

"dfortin" wrote:

> I have a Laptop running win XP with an Optical Microsoft mouse. I also
> started seeing this problem only a few days ago. The mouse will freeze.
> To "unfreeze" it I can put the mouse on a different surface but within a
> few minutes it will freeze again. It is driving me crazy.
>
> Dave
>

> Ray Wrote:
> > My mouse problem began with erratic movement and occasionally it would
> > freeze
> > resulting in having to reboot. The freeze began occuring at shorter
> > times
> > after booting up until it finally froze as soon as the desktop opened.
> > After several appeals to this and other newsgroups I followed all the
> > suggestions with no help.
> > Searched for new drivers and found out that I had the latest.
> > I went to MS Knowledge Base, saw my problem described exactly. Printed
> > off 3
> > pages of items to delete from the registry, none of which were included
> > in my
> > registry.
> >
> > I told a nerd friend my problem and his immediate response was, "Are
> > you using
> > a Microsoft PS/2?"
> > I said I was. His immediate response was, "Get a new mouse." That was
> > the
> > best advice I had from anyone. Got an optical mouse for under $20,
> > installed
> > it and all my problems are over. This was after a week of fooling
> > around with
> > searches for answers and useless advice.
> >
> > Get a new mouse. A real cheap fix.
> >

> > --
> > To view some of my art work
> > http://community.webshots.com/user/rbarone1997
> >
> > Ray
> > _______________________________________
> > While she is out, a real man will kick his wife's cat.
> > "Bernard Sloane" bjsloane@bigpond.net.au wrote in message
> > I'm running Microsoft XP Home SP2.
> >
> > I'm having problems with my mouse. It will work just fine & then
> > freeze for
> > no apparent reason. I've scanned for viruses, re-installed the mouse
> > and
> > tried a number of other things without luck. It just freezes and won't
> > budge
> > for weeks on end. Then again for no apparent reason it will work
> > (maybe for
> > a week .. maybe for 5 minutes ... who knows).
> >
> > Can anyone help me please!!!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bernie Sloane
> > -
>

> --
> dfortin

I am having the same identical problem as Mike and the other folks who have
reported the same problem, and I've tried the same fixes, including the
information in Microsoft Knowledge Base, and other mice & keyboard, and the
same problem persists. I even tried e-mail support with Microsoft, and
because I was out of town a couple of days, and wasn't able to respond, they
marked the case unresolved and closed the case - I've contacted them several
times, and still no respond. I there ANYBODY that can help me resolve this
problem? The constant rebooting the system is not good. Thanks