Mouse keeps freezing

I'm running Microsoft XP Home SP2.

I'm having problems with my mouse. It will work just fine & then freeze for
no apparent reason. I've scanned for viruses, re-installed the mouse and
tried a number of other things without luck. It just freezes and won't budge
for weeks on end. Then again for no apparent reason it will work (maybe for
a week .. maybe for 5 minutes ... who knows).

Can anyone help me please!!!

Thanks,
Bernie Sloane
7 answers Last reply
More about mouse freezing

    Bernard: Ironically, this is the sole reason why I stopped by too. I also use
    Microsoft XP and my mouse also freezes for no particular reason. Any users
    out there know of a fix or suggestions?

    "Bernard Sloane" wrote:

    > I'm running Microsoft XP Home SP2.
    >
    > I'm having problems with my mouse. It will work just fine & then freeze for
    > no apparent reason. I've scanned for viruses, re-installed the mouse and
    > tried a number of other things without luck. It just freezes and won't budge
    > for weeks on end. Then again for no apparent reason it will work (maybe for
    > a week .. maybe for 5 minutes ... who knows).
    >
    > Can anyone help me please!!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bernie Sloane

    It sounds more like a mouse problem or possibly a USB port/motherboard
    problem. What sort of mouse is it. I've got a Logitech Cordless MouseMan
    optical which works great, but after the battery runs dry after a couple of
    weeks for several hours it takes a bit of tinkering with the connect buttons
    after recharging/changing the batteries for a few minutes to get it back up
    and running. Can you try it on another computer?

    "Bernard Sloane" <bjsloane@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > I'm running Microsoft XP Home SP2.
    >
    > I'm having problems with my mouse. It will work just fine & then freeze
    > for no apparent reason. I've scanned for viruses, re-installed the mouse
    > and tried a number of other things without luck. It just freezes and won't
    > budge for weeks on end. Then again for no apparent reason it will work
    > (maybe for a week .. maybe for 5 minutes ... who knows).
    >
    > Can anyone help me please!!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bernie Sloane

    You may want to check your computer manufaturere web site for updates for
    it,also check the mouse manufacturer for updates.I have 3 computers,when
    to fix some issues that it had with SP2.That fixed it for me.Good Luck!

    "Tasslehoff" wrote:

    > It sounds more like a mouse problem or possibly a USB port/motherboard
    > problem. What sort of mouse is it. I've got a Logitech Cordless MouseMan
    > optical which works great, but after the battery runs dry after a couple of
    > weeks for several hours it takes a bit of tinkering with the connect buttons
    > after recharging/changing the batteries for a few minutes to get it back up
    > and running. Can you try it on another computer?
    >
    > "Bernard Sloane" <bjsloane@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > > I'm running Microsoft XP Home SP2.
    > >
    > > I'm having problems with my mouse. It will work just fine & then freeze
    > > for no apparent reason. I've scanned for viruses, re-installed the mouse
    > > and tried a number of other things without luck. It just freezes and won't
    > > budge for weeks on end. Then again for no apparent reason it will work
    > > (maybe for a week .. maybe for 5 minutes ... who knows).
    > >
    > > Can anyone help me please!!!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Bernie Sloane

    My mouse problem began with erratic movement and occasionally it would freeze
    resulting in having to reboot. The freeze began occuring at shorter times
    after booting up until it finally froze as soon as the desktop opened.
    After several appeals to this and other newsgroups I followed all the
    suggestions with no help.
    Searched for new drivers and found out that I had the latest.
    I went to MS Knowledge Base, saw my problem described exactly. Printed off 3
    pages of items to delete from the registry, none of which were included in my
    registry.

    I told a nerd friend my problem and his immediate response was, "Are you using
    a Microsoft PS/2?"
    I said I was. His immediate response was, "Get a new mouse." That was the
    best advice I had from anyone. Got an optical mouse for under $20, installed
    it and all my problems are over. This was after a week of fooling around with
    searches for answers and useless advice.

    Get a new mouse. A real cheap fix.

    --
    To view some of my art work
    http://community.webshots.com/user/rbarone1997

    Ray
    _______________________________________
    While she is out, a real man will kick his wife's cat.
    "Bernard Sloane" <bjsloane@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
    > I'm running Microsoft XP Home SP2.
    >
    > I'm having problems with my mouse. It will work just fine & then freeze for
    > no apparent reason. I've scanned for viruses, re-installed the mouse and
    > tried a number of other things without luck. It just freezes and won't budge
    > for weeks on end. Then again for no apparent reason it will work (maybe for
    > a week .. maybe for 5 minutes ... who knows).
    >
    > Can anyone help me please!!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bernie Sloane

    I have a Laptop running win XP with an Optical Microsoft mouse. I also
    started seeing this problem only a few days ago. The mouse will freeze.
    To "unfreeze" it I can put the mouse on a different surface but within a
    few minutes it will freeze again. It is driving me crazy.

    Dave

    --
    dfortin

    My mouse has frozen at start up I can log on to my desk top but the mouse
    does nothing. As for the cheap fix yes its a new optical mouse but no it
    didn't fix it. I have tried 3 different mice -2 Ps2 and 1 usb . My main
    machine is now unaccesible other than looking at the desk top ! Any clues ?

    "dfortin" wrote:

    > I have a Laptop running win XP with an Optical Microsoft mouse. I also
    > started seeing this problem only a few days ago. The mouse will freeze.
    > To "unfreeze" it I can put the mouse on a different surface but within a
    > few minutes it will freeze again. It is driving me crazy.
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > Ray Wrote:
    > > My mouse problem began with erratic movement and occasionally it would
    > > freeze
    > > resulting in having to reboot. The freeze began occuring at shorter
    > > times
    > > after booting up until it finally froze as soon as the desktop opened.
    > > After several appeals to this and other newsgroups I followed all the
    > > suggestions with no help.
    > > Searched for new drivers and found out that I had the latest.
    > > I went to MS Knowledge Base, saw my problem described exactly. Printed
    > > off 3
    > > pages of items to delete from the registry, none of which were included
    > > in my
    > > registry.
    > >
    > > I told a nerd friend my problem and his immediate response was, "Are
    > > you using
    > > a Microsoft PS/2?"
    > > I said I was. His immediate response was, "Get a new mouse." That was
    > > the
    > > best advice I had from anyone. Got an optical mouse for under $20,
    > > installed
    > > it and all my problems are over. This was after a week of fooling
    > > around with
    > > searches for answers and useless advice.
    > >
    > > Get a new mouse. A real cheap fix.
    > >

    > > --
    > > To view some of my art work
    > > http://community.webshots.com/user/rbarone1997
    > >
    > > Ray
    > > _______________________________________
    > > While she is out, a real man will kick his wife's cat.
    > > "Bernard Sloane" bjsloane@bigpond.net.au wrote in message
    > > I'm running Microsoft XP Home SP2.
    > >
    > > I'm having problems with my mouse. It will work just fine & then
    > > freeze for
    > > no apparent reason. I've scanned for viruses, re-installed the mouse
    > > and
    > > tried a number of other things without luck. It just freezes and won't
    > > budge
    > > for weeks on end. Then again for no apparent reason it will work
    > > (maybe for
    > > a week .. maybe for 5 minutes ... who knows).
    > >
    > > Can anyone help me please!!!
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Bernie Sloane
    > > -
    >

    > --
    > dfortin

    I am having the same identical problem as Mike and the other folks who have
    reported the same problem, and I've tried the same fixes, including the
    information in Microsoft Knowledge Base, and other mice & keyboard, and the
    same problem persists. I even tried e-mail support with Microsoft, and
    because I was out of town a couple of days, and wasn't able to respond, they
    marked the case unresolved and closed the case - I've contacted them several
    times, and still no respond. I there ANYBODY that can help me resolve this
    problem? The constant rebooting the system is not good. Thanks

Mice Microsoft Windows XP