Defrag on RAID 0 HD's

Does XP's defrag tool work properly on 2 SATA hard drives in a RAID 0 set-up
? It seems to do a good job but I though I would just ask the question.
Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about defrag raid

    "redTed" wrote:

    > Does XP's defrag tool work properly on 2 SATA hard drives in a RAID 0 set-up
    > ? It seems to do a good job but I though I would just ask the question.
    > Thanks.

    I wouldn't try it, it just broke my whole setup.

    "redTed" wrote:

    > Does XP's defrag tool work properly on 2 SATA hard drives in a RAID 0 set-up
    > ? It seems to do a good job but I though I would just ask the question.

    It appears to work; I've used the native XP defragger on mine.

    OTOH, I wouldn't try a 3rd-party defragger unless it specifically says it's
    suitable for striped RAID arrays.

    All defragmenters use Microsoft's Defrag APIs. These APIs are independent
    of underlying disk technology. There should be no issue with running ANY
    defragmenter on any level of RAID.

    - Greg/Raxco Software
    Microsoft MVP - Windows File System

    Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
    commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

    Want to email me? Delete ntloader.

    "Greg Hayes/Raxco Software" <ghayesntloader@raxco.com> wrote...
    > All defragmenters use Microsoft's Defrag APIs. These APIs are independent
    > of underlying disk technology. There should be no issue with running ANY
    > defragmenter on any level of RAID.

    IIRC, the Symantec/Norton SpeedDisk defragger is one that does NOT use the Win
    APIs, but uses its own.

    SpeedDisk under Windows XP does use Microsoft's defrag APIs. Under NT4 and
    Win2k, it does not.

    "John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@NOSPAM.comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "Greg Hayes/Raxco Software" <ghayesntloader@raxco.com> wrote...
    > > All defragmenters use Microsoft's Defrag APIs. These APIs are
    independent
    > > of underlying disk technology. There should be no issue with running
    ANY
    > > defragmenter on any level of RAID.
    >
    > IIRC, the Symantec/Norton SpeedDisk defragger is one that does NOT use the
    Win
    > APIs, but uses its own.

NAS / RAID Defragment Windows XP