Defrag on RAID 0 HD's

December 30, 2004 9:00:53 PM

Does XP's defrag tool work properly on 2 SATA hard drives in a RAID 0 set-up
? It seems to do a good job but I though I would just ask the question.
Thanks.

More about : defrag raid

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 7:33:01 PM

"redTed" wrote:

> Does XP's defrag tool work properly on 2 SATA hard drives in a RAID 0 set-up
> ? It seems to do a good job but I though I would just ask the question.
> Thanks.

I wouldn't try it, it just broke my whole setup.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 4:17:29 PM

"redTed" wrote:

> Does XP's defrag tool work properly on 2 SATA hard drives in a RAID 0 set-up
> ? It seems to do a good job but I though I would just ask the question.

It appears to work; I've used the native XP defragger on mine.

OTOH, I wouldn't try a 3rd-party defragger unless it specifically says it's
suitable for striped RAID arrays.
January 4, 2005 4:23:31 PM

All defragmenters use Microsoft's Defrag APIs. These APIs are independent
of underlying disk technology. There should be no issue with running ANY
defragmenter on any level of RAID.

- Greg/Raxco Software
Microsoft MVP - Windows File System

Disclaimer: I work for Raxco Software, the maker of PerfectDisk - a
commercial defrag utility, as a systems engineer in the support department.

Want to email me? Delete ntloader.
"redTed" <redted@nthelloworld.com> wrote in message
> Does XP's defrag tool work properly on 2 SATA hard drives in a RAID 0
set-up
> ? It seems to do a good job but I though I would just ask the question.
> Thanks.

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 4:23:32 PM

"Greg Hayes/Raxco Software" <ghayesntloader@raxco.com> wrote...
> All defragmenters use Microsoft's Defrag APIs. These APIs are independent
> of underlying disk technology. There should be no issue with running ANY
> defragmenter on any level of RAID.

IIRC, the Symantec/Norton SpeedDisk defragger is one that does NOT use the Win
APIs, but uses its own.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 8:34:24 PM

SpeedDisk under Windows XP does use Microsoft's defrag APIs. Under NT4 and
Win2k, it does not.

news:o YnYPEp8EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!