EQ1: crashing weirdness

I've been gone from EQ for a while now, but still chat about it with a
friend who is playing. He convinced me to try LDoN over the holidays.
Last night I reinstalled the game, loaded the patcher and went to bed.

This morning I tried to log in. The game crashed to desktop. I didn't
even get to the EULA screen.

I'm running EQ on a Toshiba Satellite laptop, 3.2 GHz, 512 mb RAM,
Geforce FX Go5200 w/64 mb (which my friend tells me is barely enough
to run EQ). In theory it should work. So I started troubleshooting.

I reinstalled DirectX 9.0c. Crash.

I did some research and found out the Omega 6177 drivers are needed
for EQ. I install them and reboot my computer. Crash.

I created a nosound.txt file in the EQ folder. Crash.

I tried bypassing the patcher and launching eqgame.exe with the
patchme switch. Crash.

In desperation I dug up a copy of EQwindows and tried that. EQ loaded
perfectly.

So I can run EQ, albeit in a window. It's not an optimal solution by
any means. Can anyone guess why a third party application will let me
run EverQuest but Sony's own sotfware fails miserably?

Whittleberry

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:14:15 -0500, Whittleberry
<ABCDwhittleberry@rogers.comDEFG> wrote:

>I'm running EQ on a Toshiba Satellite laptop, 3.2 GHz, 512 mb RAM,
>Geforce FX Go5200 w/64 mb (which my friend tells me is barely enough
>to run EQ). In theory it should work.

I ran it fine on a 500mhz pc with a 32meg graphic card, on dial-up, so
your specs should be fine!

Nvidia card, is it? They seem to be flakier than most - I know, I have
one :)

Palindrome

Whittleberry <ABCDwhittleberry@rogers.comdefg> wrote:
> So I can run EQ, albeit in a window. It's not an optimal solution by
> any means. Can anyone guess why a third party application will let me
> run EverQuest but Sony's own sotfware fails miserably?
Sorry, can't help you there. But in the Logs directory under the EQ
directory there is a file named dbg.txt. You might have a look at this
to figure out what EQ is doing before it crashs.

Hagen