"windows can not find C:/Program."

Hi there

I am having a windows xp professional edition at home. It was working fine
untill I updated my antivirus software. Once the live upadte is finished it
asked me to reboot my pc, which I did...But I got an error message after that
saying "windows can not find C:/Program." I uninstalled and reinstalled my
antivirus software. I tried to find the information about this error on the
web as well as microsoft's website but no success. I dont have MSN or AOL
messenger installed which also can cause this error as I noticed some users
have that. I went to check a event viewr on windows and when I search more it
gave me ( i am not sure that this links to the same error message) a hint
that a .dll files/ or data files may be deleted !!!! But it does not say
which .dll files or datafiles are missing...

Thanks in advance
7 answers Last reply
More about windows find program

    Could be you have a program that is trying to start when the computer boots
    and the long file name is not covered with quotes. For example, it could be
    C:\Program Files\Software Program\Filename.exe is what's in the startup
    folder but, because of the long file names it should read: "C:\Program
    Files\Software Program\filename.exe"

    The " " are needed because the <space> between Program and Files cannot be
    read during the boot process - that's why the " " are used.

    "Kalpesh" <Kalpesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there
    >
    > I am having a windows xp professional edition at home. It was working fine
    > untill I updated my antivirus software. Once the live upadte is finished
    > it
    > asked me to reboot my pc, which I did...But I got an error message after
    > that
    > saying "windows can not find C:/Program." I uninstalled and reinstalled
    > my
    > antivirus software. I tried to find the information about this error on
    > the
    > web as well as microsoft's website but no success. I dont have MSN or AOL
    > messenger installed which also can cause this error as I noticed some
    > users
    > have that. I went to check a event viewr on windows and when I search more
    > it
    > gave me ( i am not sure that this links to the same error message) a hint
    > that a .dll files/ or data files may be deleted !!!! But it does not say
    > which .dll files or datafiles are missing...
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Hi Jerry

    Thanks for reply...
    The error comes before my desktop loads program and the full error is:

    Windows cannot find 'C:/Program'. make sure you typed the name correctly,
    and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button, and then
    search.

    Now as you see above error, there is a ' ' sign and forward slash [not \].

    Is there any way to find that program which is trying to start up but fails
    at the end before boot up, so that I can delete and re install??

    Should I run msconfig and start up option and do some changes??? I already
    tried to boot in safe mode but did not work...

    Thanks in advance again

    kalpesh

    "Jerry" wrote:

    > Could be you have a program that is trying to start when the computer boots
    > and the long file name is not covered with quotes. For example, it could be
    > C:\Program Files\Software Program\Filename.exe is what's in the startup
    > folder but, because of the long file names it should read: "C:\Program
    > Files\Software Program\filename.exe"
    >
    > The " " are needed because the <space> between Program and Files cannot be
    > read during the boot process - that's why the " " are used.
    >
    > "Kalpesh" <Kalpesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi there
    > >
    > > I am having a windows xp professional edition at home. It was working fine
    > > untill I updated my antivirus software. Once the live upadte is finished
    > > it
    > > asked me to reboot my pc, which I did...But I got an error message after
    > > that
    > > saying "windows can not find C:/Program." I uninstalled and reinstalled
    > > my
    > > antivirus software. I tried to find the information about this error on
    > > the
    > > web as well as microsoft's website but no success. I dont have MSN or AOL
    > > messenger installed which also can cause this error as I noticed some
    > > users
    > > have that. I went to check a event viewr on windows and when I search more
    > > it
    > > gave me ( i am not sure that this links to the same error message) a hint
    > > that a .dll files/ or data files may be deleted !!!! But it does not say
    > > which .dll files or datafiles are missing...
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance

    hi jerry

    how can i find that programme which is not starting properly.

    The error comes before the desktop loads and the error is:
    Windows cannot find 'C:\Program' make sure you typed the name correctly, and
    then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button, and then search.

    there are ' ' and / marks in 'C:\Program' but not \.
    Is there anything to change in msconfig>>start up option??
    I tried safe mode but no success..

    thanks

    kalpesh

    "Jerry" wrote:

    > Could be you have a program that is trying to start when the computer boots
    > and the long file name is not covered with quotes. For example, it could be
    > C:\Program Files\Software Program\Filename.exe is what's in the startup
    > folder but, because of the long file names it should read: "C:\Program
    > Files\Software Program\filename.exe"
    >
    > The " " are needed because the <space> between Program and Files cannot be
    > read during the boot process - that's why the " " are used.
    >
    > "Kalpesh" <Kalpesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi there
    > >
    > > I am having a windows xp professional edition at home. It was working fine
    > > untill I updated my antivirus software. Once the live upadte is finished
    > > it
    > > asked me to reboot my pc, which I did...But I got an error message after
    > > that
    > > saying "windows can not find C:/Program." I uninstalled and reinstalled
    > > my
    > > antivirus software. I tried to find the information about this error on
    > > the
    > > web as well as microsoft's website but no success. I dont have MSN or AOL
    > > messenger installed which also can cause this error as I noticed some
    > > users
    > > have that. I went to check a event viewr on windows and when I search more
    > > it
    > > gave me ( i am not sure that this links to the same error message) a hint
    > > that a .dll files/ or data files may be deleted !!!! But it does not say
    > > which .dll files or datafiles are missing...
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance

    You run MSCONFIG and see what is being started when the computer boots and
    Windows starts.

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:07:11 -0800, "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote:

    >You run MSCONFIG and see what is being started when the computer boots and
    >Windows starts.

    MSConfig is OK. Autoruns (free) from
    <http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml> is better.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck

    "Kalpesh" <Kalpesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there
    >
    > I am having a windows xp professional edition at home. It was
    > working fine
    > untill I updated my antivirus software. Once the live upadte is
    > finished it
    > asked me to reboot my pc, which I did...But I got an error message
    > after that
    > saying "windows can not find C:/Program." I uninstalled and
    > reinstalled my
    > antivirus software. I tried to find the information about this
    > error on the
    > web as well as microsoft's website but no success. I dont have MSN
    > or AOL
    > messenger installed which also can cause this error as I noticed
    > some users
    > have that. I went to check a event viewr on windows and when I
    > search more it
    > gave me ( i am not sure that this links to the same error message)
    > a hint
    > that a .dll files/ or data files may be deleted !!!! But it does
    > not say
    > which .dll files or datafiles are missing...
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    The new antivirus signature may have indicated a Trojan Horse which
    the real-time scanner deleted. Now that program cannot be found. It
    might have been running as a service. Go to Administrative Tools in
    Control Panel and look in the Services section to see if there is a
    service you do not recognize.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:05:02 -0800, "Kalpesh"

    >I am having a windows xp professional edition at home. It was working fine
    >untill I updated my antivirus software. Once the live upadte is finished it
    >asked me to reboot my pc, which I did...But I got an error message after that
    >saying "windows can not find C:/Program."

    Somewhere in your startup is something that says...

    C:\Program Files...

    ....which should have said...

    "C:\Program Files..."

    Does this persist in Safe Mode?