"windows can not find C:/Program."

Hi there

I am having a windows xp professional edition at home. It was working fine
untill I updated my antivirus software. Once the live upadte is finished it
asked me to reboot my pc, which I did...But I got an error message after that
saying "windows can not find C:/Program." I uninstalled and reinstalled my
antivirus software. I tried to find the information about this error on the
web as well as microsoft's website but no success. I dont have MSN or AOL
messenger installed which also can cause this error as I noticed some users
have that. I went to check a event viewr on windows and when I search more it
gave me ( i am not sure that this links to the same error message) a hint
that a .dll files/ or data files may be deleted !!!! But it does not say
which .dll files or datafiles are missing...

Thanks in advance

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Could be you have a program that is trying to start when the computer boots
and the long file name is not covered with quotes. For example, it could be
C:\Program Files\Software Program\Filename.exe is what's in the startup
folder but, because of the long file names it should read: "C:\Program
Files\Software Program\filename.exe"

The " " are needed because the <space> between Program and Files cannot be
read during the boot process - that's why the " " are used.

"Kalpesh" <Kalpesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> I am having a windows xp professional edition at home. It was working fine
> untill I updated my antivirus software. Once the live upadte is finished
> it
> asked me to reboot my pc, which I did...But I got an error message after
> that
> saying "windows can not find C:/Program." I uninstalled and reinstalled
> my
> antivirus software. I tried to find the information about this error on
> the
> web as well as microsoft's website but no success. I dont have MSN or AOL
> messenger installed which also can cause this error as I noticed some
> users
> have that. I went to check a event viewr on windows and when I search more
> it
> gave me ( i am not sure that this links to the same error message) a hint
> that a .dll files/ or data files may be deleted !!!! But it does not say
> which .dll files or datafiles are missing...
>
> Thanks in advance

Hi Jerry

Thanks for reply...
The error comes before my desktop loads program and the full error is:

Windows cannot find 'C:/Program'. make sure you typed the name correctly,
and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button, and then
search.

Now as you see above error, there is a ' ' sign and forward slash [not \].

Is there any way to find that program which is trying to start up but fails
at the end before boot up, so that I can delete and re install??

Should I run msconfig and start up option and do some changes??? I already
tried to boot in safe mode but did not work...

Thanks in advance again

kalpesh

"Jerry" wrote:

> Could be you have a program that is trying to start when the computer boots
> and the long file name is not covered with quotes. For example, it could be
> C:\Program Files\Software Program\Filename.exe is what's in the startup
> folder but, because of the long file names it should read: "C:\Program
> Files\Software Program\filename.exe"
>
> The " " are needed because the <space> between Program and Files cannot be
> read during the boot process - that's why the " " are used.
>
> "Kalpesh" <Kalpesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there
> >
> > I am having a windows xp professional edition at home. It was working fine
> > untill I updated my antivirus software. Once the live upadte is finished
> > it
> > asked me to reboot my pc, which I did...But I got an error message after
> > that
> > saying "windows can not find C:/Program." I uninstalled and reinstalled
> > my
> > antivirus software. I tried to find the information about this error on
> > the
> > web as well as microsoft's website but no success. I dont have MSN or AOL
> > messenger installed which also can cause this error as I noticed some
> > users
> > have that. I went to check a event viewr on windows and when I search more
> > it
> > gave me ( i am not sure that this links to the same error message) a hint
> > that a .dll files/ or data files may be deleted !!!! But it does not say
> > which .dll files or datafiles are missing...
> >
> > Thanks in advance

hi jerry

how can i find that programme which is not starting properly.

The error comes before the desktop loads and the error is:
Windows cannot find 'C:\Program' make sure you typed the name correctly, and
then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button, and then search.

there are ' ' and / marks in 'C:\Program' but not \.
Is there anything to change in msconfig>>start up option??
I tried safe mode but no success..

thanks

kalpesh

"Jerry" wrote:

> Could be you have a program that is trying to start when the computer boots
> and the long file name is not covered with quotes. For example, it could be
> C:\Program Files\Software Program\Filename.exe is what's in the startup
> folder but, because of the long file names it should read: "C:\Program
> Files\Software Program\filename.exe"
>
> The " " are needed because the <space> between Program and Files cannot be
> read during the boot process - that's why the " " are used.
>
> "Kalpesh" <Kalpesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there
> >
> > I am having a windows xp professional edition at home. It was working fine
> > untill I updated my antivirus software. Once the live upadte is finished
> > it
> > asked me to reboot my pc, which I did...But I got an error message after
> > that
> > saying "windows can not find C:/Program." I uninstalled and reinstalled
> > my
> > antivirus software. I tried to find the information about this error on
> > the
> > web as well as microsoft's website but no success. I dont have MSN or AOL
> > messenger installed which also can cause this error as I noticed some
> > users
> > have that. I went to check a event viewr on windows and when I search more
> > it
> > gave me ( i am not sure that this links to the same error message) a hint
> > that a .dll files/ or data files may be deleted !!!! But it does not say
> > which .dll files or datafiles are missing...
> >
> > Thanks in advance

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You run MSCONFIG and see what is being started when the computer boots and
Windows starts.

> hi jerry
>
> how can i find that programme which is not starting properly.
>
> The error comes before the desktop loads and the error is:
> Windows cannot find 'C:\Program' make sure you typed the name correctly,
> and
> then try again. To search for a file, click the Start Button, and then
> search.
>
> there are ' ' and / marks in 'C:\Program' but not \.
> Is there anything to change in msconfig>>start up option??
> I tried safe mode but no success..
>
> thanks
>
> kalpesh
>

> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> Could be you have a program that is trying to start when the computer
>> boots
>> and the long file name is not covered with quotes. For example, it could
>> be
>> C:\Program Files\Software Program\Filename.exe is what's in the startup
>> folder but, because of the long file names it should read: "C:\Program
>> Files\Software Program\filename.exe"
>>
>> The " " are needed because the <space> between Program and Files cannot
>> be
>> read during the boot process - that's why the " " are used.
>>
>> "Kalpesh" <Kalpesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi there
>> >
>> > I am having a windows xp professional edition at home. It was working
>> > fine
>> > untill I updated my antivirus software. Once the live upadte is
>> > finished
>> > it
>> > asked me to reboot my pc, which I did...But I got an error message
>> > after
>> > that
>> > saying "windows can not find C:/Program." I uninstalled and
>> > reinstalled
>> > my
>> > antivirus software. I tried to find the information about this error on
>> > the
>> > web as well as microsoft's website but no success. I dont have MSN or
>> > AOL
>> > messenger installed which also can cause this error as I noticed some
>> > users
>> > have that. I went to check a event viewr on windows and when I search
>> > more
>> > it
>> > gave me ( i am not sure that this links to the same error message) a
>> > hint
>> > that a .dll files/ or data files may be deleted !!!! But it does not
>> > say
>> > which .dll files or datafiles are missing...
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 14:07:11 -0800, "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote:

>You run MSCONFIG and see what is being started when the computer boots and
>Windows starts.

MSConfig is OK. Autoruns (free) from
<http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml> is better.

--
Cheers,
Chuck

"Kalpesh" <Kalpesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there
>
> I am having a windows xp professional edition at home. It was
> working fine
> untill I updated my antivirus software. Once the live upadte is
> finished it
> asked me to reboot my pc, which I did...But I got an error message
> after that
> saying "windows can not find C:/Program." I uninstalled and
> reinstalled my
> antivirus software. I tried to find the information about this
> error on the
> web as well as microsoft's website but no success. I dont have MSN
> or AOL
> messenger installed which also can cause this error as I noticed
> some users
> have that. I went to check a event viewr on windows and when I
> search more it
> gave me ( i am not sure that this links to the same error message)
> a hint
> that a .dll files/ or data files may be deleted !!!! But it does
> not say
> which .dll files or datafiles are missing...
>
> Thanks in advance

The new antivirus signature may have indicated a Trojan Horse which
the real-time scanner deleted. Now that program cannot be found. It
might have been running as a service. Go to Administrative Tools in
Control Panel and look in the Services section to see if there is a
service you do not recognize.

--
Earl F. Parrish

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:05:02 -0800, "Kalpesh"

>I am having a windows xp professional edition at home. It was working fine
>untill I updated my antivirus software. Once the live upadte is finished it
>asked me to reboot my pc, which I did...But I got an error message after that
>saying "windows can not find C:/Program."

Somewhere in your startup is something that says...

C:\Program Files...

....which should have said...

"C:\Program Files..."

Does this persist in Safe Mode?