G

I am trying to decide betweeen the Asus and Epox KT266a boards because they appeared to have done the best out of them all. I don't mind spending the extra moneyu but I want the best board. What do you think?

reptilej

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
go with asus. i ahve used both boards and while epox isn't bad, asus is and always has been (so far) excellent.

repeat after me, we are all individuals!

Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
If you want the best board I would suggest waiting for THG to make a test of all the new KT266A motherboards on the market. It probably won't take long before THG releases this test.
Although I own the Asus A7V266-E with via KT266A chipset I would advise you to think about a Soltek board. I have heard many rumours about and experienced Asus motherboard failures. I have owned 3 Asus motherboards since December the 17. 2000. The first one I sold to a friend, but the second one went up in a cloud of smoke just 2 months after I installed it in my PC! :-(
The company I bought it from was nice enough to exchange it to the one I got now (Asus A7V266-E).
I also have another example of Asus boards not working as they where supposed to. I am currently recieving education as a IT-supporter and the place where I work, bought 5 new Asus motherboards, I believe they are called CUSL-2 or something like that. 4 of the 5 boards did not work when we installed them in the machines!!!

As I started of telling you I would advise you to buy a Soltek motherboard. I have never heard about people having problems with these boards... I have installed about 10 of these in different machines my self and they have always worked as they where supposed to. You might ask why I buy Asus for my own PC and the simple answer is, that I am a speed freak. :) Since my own Asus A7V266 with the KT266 chipset went up in smoke I have thought much about buying Soltek the next time i'm upgrading my computer.
I don't know if this helps you in any way but I just wanted to tell you that the Asus boards is not as stabil as they used to be...

My name is Jond, Bames Jond.

My ACPI incompatible network adapter killed my SB Live!

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
well i have the ga-7vtx-p from gigabyte. can't make one complain, the board is great, stable and fast. there are quite a few now that either have this or the "H" version (onboard lan). and haven't seen one complaint or problem from anyone yet.

well if luck is a lady, it explains why i have no luck :frown:

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I have just received the ASUS A7V266-E and am still tweaking it. This is my third ASUS MB in the last 5 years. I have never had a failure but I use the best power supply to protect my system. I have had ASUS P2B and CUSL2-C (both intel support) I have nothing against other boards I just trust ASUS from my own experence.

<font color=blue>Will Rogers never liked me.</font color=blue>

G

I'm currently burning in my new Epox. So far I've had no probs, but I have heard from a friend who bought one at the same time I did that the on-board sound is crap. I finally got my Audigy card working so can't comment on that. I was looking at the Asus too as I'd heard good things about them, but when I visited their web site I had real problems. Maybe I just got unlucky and hit them at a busy time. I reckon support is important though and ended up picking the Epox just because of that. I've personally not heard anything bad about the ASUS though, they have a good rep too. Doubt that that helps you, but its an opinion nonetheless!!

<b>Style is when you lean against a lamppost and it looks as though you're doing it a favour</b>