Epox 8KHA vs. Shuttle AK31 v3.1

flywheel

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2001
I thought I had decided to get the Shuttle AK31 v3.1 to upgrade my PC with an AMD chip but I've read a bunch of other people's post on here that use the Epox 8KHA board. Both board's get excellent reviews from what I've gathered.

I do know there are some problems with Shuttle's RAM slots if you decide to use all 4 but I was just planning to use 1 slot with 256MB DDR.

Both boards are esentially the same price wise...I would just like to get some opinions on what would be the ONE to go with. Thanks in advance for your replies!

<font color=red>all this HARDware nonsense is giving me a headache!</font color=red> :frown:

The shuttle may be slightly cheaper ($80 newegg). I've used it about 1 month with mixed results overclocking. I currently have 1 stick of 256 and 128 micron (same co that makes crucial). I was running stable at 145, but after making some changes, had to slow it down to 138. At the slower speed, you can use more aggressive memory timings. I would download the manuals for both mobo's and check the bios features before deciding.

G

I've just finished contemplating the same choice and ended up picking the Epox. It got good reviews at a lot of places and was also used as a base for reviewing other components like Graphics cards. I also read in another review that given all the stuff that has to be crammed onto a mobo these days that there was pretty much only room for 3 RAM slots on any board, however you design it, yet the Shuttle had somehow managed to find room for 4, but at the expense of what? The review then went on to say that it was a fine board anyway and there didn't seem to be any compromise. I personally picked the Epox and am happy with it (but I've only had it going for a few days), but I reckon either will do you.

<b>Style is when you lean against a lamppost and it looks as though you're doing it a favour</b>