SLOW SYSTEM/CRASHES/HANGING SCREEN/SLOW MOUSE...............

Please help me, I'm at my wits end.

My PC got increasingly slower and then just stopped. When I switched off
and logged back in there seemed to be a virus and the computer kept logging
itself off and then restarting again. After trying everything I could -
virus scan, adware scan, msconfig (though I don't know what I was looking
for).

Yesterday, I decided on doing a clean install from my restore disk supplied
with the computer. I was hoping this would set everything straight
again..Nope!

The system is still really slow, the screen sometimes hangs, there is a long
delay and it also takes a good 10-15 minutes for the system to boot when
switched off.

I've unticked everything in the start section on msconfig.

Someone suggested there may be a problem with the registry - I'm not a
computer whizz and don't know what to look for so I would be really grateful
of any help.

--
Cheers
Nell x

Enter your BIOS and see if you can change it to a diagnostic boot
sequence. It may present some information such as problems with the
memory. You could also be experiencing a hard drive failure.

Nell wrote:

> Please help me, I'm at my wits end.
>
> My PC got increasingly slower and then just stopped. When I switched off
> and logged back in there seemed to be a virus and the computer kept logging
> itself off and then restarting again. After trying everything I could -
> virus scan, adware scan, msconfig (though I don't know what I was looking
> for).
>
> Yesterday, I decided on doing a clean install from my restore disk supplied
> with the computer. I was hoping this would set everything straight
> again..Nope!
>
> The system is still really slow, the screen sometimes hangs, there is a long
> delay and it also takes a good 10-15 minutes for the system to boot when
> switched off.
>
> I've unticked everything in the start section on msconfig.
>
> Someone suggested there may be a problem with the registry - I'm not a
> computer whizz and don't know what to look for so I would be really grateful
> of any help.

If you had correctly performed a clean install then you would not have the
problem.

Computers can perform poorly for an almost unlimited number of reasons.
Think back to what you were doing on the computer before the problem
started - can you guess what might be the cause?

If not, this web site might be helpful. It's well known and well respected:

PC Pitstop
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

"...there seemed to be a virus..."

Had you been using antivirus software you know for sure. To be of value,
antivirus software must be installed on your computer, it must start with
Windows and run in the background at all times and it must be kept up to
date with the latest virus definitions.

Ted Zieglar

"Nell" <Nell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help me, I'm at my wits end.
>
> My PC got increasingly slower and then just stopped. When I switched off
> and logged back in there seemed to be a virus and the computer kept
> logging
> itself off and then restarting again. After trying everything I could -
> virus scan, adware scan, msconfig (though I don't know what I was looking
> for).
>
> Yesterday, I decided on doing a clean install from my restore disk
> supplied
> with the computer. I was hoping this would set everything straight
> again..Nope!
>
> The system is still really slow, the screen sometimes hangs, there is a
> long
> delay and it also takes a good 10-15 minutes for the system to boot when
> switched off.
>
> I've unticked everything in the start section on msconfig.
>
> Someone suggested there may be a problem with the registry - I'm not a
> computer whizz and don't know what to look for so I would be really
> grateful
> of any help.
>

> --
> Cheers
> Nell x

It might be worth running a check on the memory chips - if you have a faulty
one it can cause mayhem. Try googling for WinDiag which you then process
onto a cd and it runs on boot. Checks all the memory.

Ron Etherington

"Nell" <Nell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help me, I'm at my wits end.
>
> My PC got increasingly slower and then just stopped. When I switched off
> and logged back in there seemed to be a virus and the computer kept
> logging
> itself off and then restarting again. After trying everything I could -
> virus scan, adware scan, msconfig (though I don't know what I was looking
> for).
>
> Yesterday, I decided on doing a clean install from my restore disk
> supplied
> with the computer. I was hoping this would set everything straight
> again..Nope!
>
> The system is still really slow, the screen sometimes hangs, there is a
> long
> delay and it also takes a good 10-15 minutes for the system to boot when
> switched off.
>
> I've unticked everything in the start section on msconfig.
>
> Someone suggested there may be a problem with the registry - I'm not a
> computer whizz and don't know what to look for so I would be really
> grateful
> of any help.
>

> --
> Cheers
> Nell x

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Nell" <Nell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help me, I'm at my wits end.
>
> My PC got increasingly slower and then just stopped. When I switched off
> and logged back in there seemed to be a virus and the computer kept
> logging
> itself off and then restarting again. After trying everything I could -
> virus scan, adware scan, msconfig (though I don't know what I was looking
> for).
>
> Yesterday, I decided on doing a clean install from my restore disk
> supplied
> with the computer. I was hoping this would set everything straight
> again..Nope!
>
> The system is still really slow, the screen sometimes hangs, there is a
> long
> delay and it also takes a good 10-15 minutes for the system to boot when
> switched off.
>
> I've unticked everything in the start section on msconfig.
>
> Someone suggested there may be a problem with the registry - I'm not a
> computer whizz and don't know what to look for so I would be really
> grateful
> of any help.

Your restore partition is probably infected also. I have ran into this a
few times.
I just gave up on proprietary PC's because it was too time consuming finding
the drivers etc, after a clean install.