Sign in with
Your question

Ports on your connection for BF3 question

Last response: in Video Games
November 21, 2011 2:47:17 PM

Hi all,A buddy of my is having the following problems with BF3.Its newly loaded a day or so ago.These are his problems,but if I could get some help on the port part I would be very thankful.

He gets into battlelog ok.He choses a server or quick play,and it says connecting.Hes tried many servers,friends,and its just keeps saying connecting.Even after 15 min. it keeps saying connecting. Or in simple words he can't connect to the server. I was looking around for a fix or some kind of solution,and found this posted at EA from EA.

>If you are playing on PC, please enable the following online ports on your connection:
TCP: 80, 443, 9988, 20000-20100, 22990, 17502, 42127
UDP: 3659, 14000-14016, 22990-23006, 25200-25300

Link
https://help.ea.com/article/online-ports-for-battlefiel...

How do I do this port thing?
Thanks

November 21, 2011 4:59:15 PM

depends on your friend's network setup. Typically you need to open/forward those ports in a router that he's using.

Refer to router manual for specifics on where to set those
November 21, 2011 8:31:18 PM

You need to port forward those port to the static i.p address of the pc/ps3/xbox.

Most crucial one being 443 which is the SSL connection for account information.
November 23, 2011 9:16:52 PM

The Battlefield 3 FAQ doesn't say the ports need to be forwarded. In other words, you don't need to map every one of those ports to the private IP of your PC inside your firewall (meaning the INBOUND direction from BF3 server to your PC.)

What the FAQ is saying is that all of those ports must be "open", meaning you can't have some sort of intervening firewall blocking any of them for when your PC tries to talk to the BF3 server (meaning the OUTBOUND direction). For example, while many home broadband connections leave open almost all outbound ports (with the exception of a few ports like windows file sharing related ports), a lot of companies and universities block many ports and only open ones explicitly needed.

Even if your home ISP doesn't block anything, there is always the chance of a misconfiguration on your home router or even the firewall software you may have on your PC.

There are a few sites out there that can test for firewall blocking. Firebind seems to be the most feature rich since it does TCP and UDP (and is the testing site League of Legends references in their networking FAQ.)

www.firebind.com
!