- 128 MB SDRAM
- Intel motherboard (not sure of model)
- Creative Geforce256 SDR

New system:
- AMD Athlon 1700XP+
- 512 MD DDR SDRAM
- MSI K7T266 PRO2 motherboard
- Creative Geforce256 SDR (same one)

WindowsXP Professional now blue-screens at least once per day since the upgrade. I am using the same OS and drivers as before. Could this be the motherboard not compatible, wrong BIOS settings etc? I am using 21.83 Detonator drivers.

I'm pretty sure it's the video card... any throughts appreciated (while I fiddle around).

Cheers,
Kylla.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Did you reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows after the upgrade?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Have you tried checking the different temperature monitors on the motherboard, CPU, GPU etc? It's quite a big upgrade and if you are using the same "box" it might be overheating causing your problems! It's a known fact that overheating may cause severe blue screen hangups....

My name is Jond, Bames Jond.

My ACPI incompatible network adapter killed my SB Live!

G

I did a complete reinstall of Windows XP, yes, but I did not reformat my hard drive.

G

Sorry should have posted more info..

- Brand new ASUS HX08 tower (bigger than last system).
- CoolerMaster EP5-6I51 heatsink/fan combo on chip
- Case is open (those hard drives are getting hot!)

I've got PC Alert 3 installed (came with MSI m/b)... maximum temp it's reported so far is 41c (104f) with fan rotation of 4354. So from what I read this isn't really hot at all!

After I posted that first post, I was trying to load Castle Wolfenstien and it blue-screened again!! Even though I had already beenb playing it for a couple of hours before?!

Thoughts appreciated,
Cheers,
Kylla.

G

Bus speed - 100 or 133? (somebody else in here is having crashing issues running an XP1700+ at 133 FSB.

Just a thought.

<b>Style is when you lean against a lamppost and it looks as though you're doing it a favour.</b>

G

Thanks for your thoughts people!..

In answer to both above questions:

- Bus speed: 133FSB
- Yes, a new 300W power supply came with AOpen HX08 case (power supply model: AOpen FSP300-60BT)

G

When you reformat a hard disk,the first thing to do in any circumstance is fdisk it.This executable is the chair at the top of the ladder and rids everything just about.just reformatting all your partitions just doesnt cut correctly if you want my opinion.Also i think xp the software,not the cpu is a bit buggy and a more stable gaming environment is win98se.I have it running an asus a7m266 and 1024mb of ram stable @266fsb.Also as a last resort ,the chip isnt being overclocked is it? A 1700xp should be runnning at 1.47ghz not 1.7 ghz.Its a media thing.

G

I've been having the exact opposite experience with XP. I still have my 98 setup on a backup hard drive, just in case, but I haven't seen a BSOD yet! some of the games crashed until I re-installed them, but even then XP didn't crash with them.... just sent me back to the desktop and I went on about my merry way.

PS: when I booted to the XP CD for the first time, I told it to upgrade me rather than format.... it was seamless.

You might want to give your install process one more try... it sounds like you missed a beat somewhere along the line. Perhaps you ignored a warning somewhere about a piece of incompatable hardware or software????

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=79861" target="_new">My Rig </A>

------------------

:cool: <b>Do YOU deserve Da Bird?</b> :cool: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Insidious on 11/26/01 08:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

stable

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2001
You must begin with a blank hard disk or be upgrading from another operating system. You can't transfer or upgrade XP from one motherboard to another unless the motherboards are identical. In your case, this means that you will need to perform a fresh install of XP on a clean (unformatted) drive by booting from your original XP CD-ROM. You will NOT be able to retain any of your original XP settings.

Steve Benoit

Stable Technologies
'The way IT should be!'

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your install technique leaves a little to be desired, simply re-installing windows over itself does not completely clear up the registry. You may try booting to a dos disk, rename windows to winblows then delete winblows. You will of course have to reinstall all your apps, but the data files should be left intact.

Another Cookie? Who is going to pay my dentist bill?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
The specs on your power supply seem to be pretty good but the combination Athlon XP 1700+ and an original Geforce256 can be a severe challenge to any power supply. BSOD's aren't the normal symptom, though, in this case. Often you see reboots and video going to black without crashing the system.

Still, If you suspect your video card maybe you could you borrow one from someone else to test. A Geforce2 MX would be ideal because it would use the same drivers allowing you test only the swapping of physical hardware yet it would use far less power than Geforce256 (about 8 watts vs 40 watts).

You could also try underclocking the video card allowing it to use less power. If it works it might mean your problem is power related but it might also mean you had a heat problem. At least it would give you some things to consider.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>