KinetiZ7B and AthlonXP

G

Hi all,
does anyone know if the QDI KinetiZ 7B can support an athlonXP CPU?
I asked at the qdi forum and the answer was that officially it supports up to athlon 1.4 but they said that I could always try (!) using a higher CPU and let them know if it really works(!?!?!!). Not much help coming from that....
Anyway, I was thinking to buy an athlonXP 1600+ which is running at 1.4GHz anyway.

So has anyone tried it? (of course it wouldn't suppord DDR)
I suppose I can borrow an athlonXP 1600+ CPU and try it. If so, is there any danger to damage the CPU coming from different voltage (should I make any adjustments?)?

Thanks in advance, I've been reading THG for quite a long time but this is my first post to the forum.

G

so noone knows anything about VIA KT133 and AthlonXP compatibility issues?

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
If your motherboard only has the KT133 chipset (not KT133A or better) than you can absolutely not use the Athlon XP. This processor runs on a 266MHz Front-Side-Bus and your chipset only supports a maximum of 200MHz. Sorry, but your going to have to get a new motherboard and probably new memory too since DDR-RAM is so cheap now. Just get yourself a SiS735 chipset board (ECS K7S5A) and 256MB PC2100 memory along with your processor. If you are already spending $200 on a new processor, you might as well spend the extra $100 and do it right.

<font color=red>"I'm not gonna launch a $2 million missile at a $10 tent and hit a camel's butt." -Bush</font color=red>

G

well no maney for all that right now... (damn, i think i'll let my mobo get 1yr old before i change it this time (just bought it last february...)
Anyway, I think I'd go for KT266A I ' was to upgrade right now though. It scores the best performance and as for the instability issues... what can I say, all those years Bill got us used to it(msdos was the most stable OS after all...:) )
thanks for the answer though!