Can't delete

December 31, 2004 7:37:20 PM

I have 4 or 5 sub-directories that I can't delete. I can create files
within them and delete them no problem, but when I try to delete the
folder I get the error message

"cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk." in a
message box.

I have tried running chkdsk and found no errors, I have defragged my
drive and I have also tried deleting them from the command prompt, using
the rmdir command which returns "the system cannot find the file
specified" as an error, and del returns "could not find c:\......."
where ..... is the path the directory.

Does anyone have a magic wand ?

They have been there now for 18 months and they are like an itch I can't
scratch, and keep going back to. This is about my 3rd post, all previous
ideas having failed.

Cheers

More about : delete

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 7:37:21 PM

Hi Gibbylinks,

If you haven't done so already, give this a try.......

Open a Command Prompt window, navigate to the parent directory of the
"problem" subdirectories, then key in:
dir /x
This will display both the Short File Name and the Long File Name for the
directories (for example, the Short File Name for the Long File Name of
Program Files is Progra~1). Take note of the Short File Name for the
"problem" subdirectories, then try deleting them, using the rmdir command,
using the Short File Name.

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Gibbylinks" <gibbylinks@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have 4 or 5 sub-directories that I can't delete. I can create files
> within them and delete them no problem, but when I try to delete the
> folder I get the error message
>
> "cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk." in a
> message box.
>

> I have tried running chkdsk and found no errors, I have defragged my
> drive and I have also tried deleting them from the command prompt, using
> the rmdir command which returns "the system cannot find the file
> specified" as an error, and del returns "could not find c:\......."
> where ..... is the path the directory.
>
> Does anyone have a magic wand ?
>
> They have been there now for 18 months and they are like an itch I can't
> scratch, and keep going back to. This is about my 3rd post, all previous
> ideas having failed.
>
> Cheers
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 7:47:53 PM

Hi

Those error messages would suggest that the folder doesn't exist and has
already been deleted. Are they Windows or 3 party program folders. If the
latter, do you know which program created them?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Gibbylinks" <gibbylinks@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>I have 4 or 5 sub-directories that I can't delete. I can create files
>within them and delete them no problem, but when I try to delete the folder
>I get the error message
>
> "cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk." in a
> message box.
>

> I have tried running chkdsk and found no errors, I have defragged my drive
> and I have also tried deleting them from the command prompt, using the
> rmdir command which returns "the system cannot find the file specified" as
> an error, and del returns "could not find c:\......." where ..... is the
> path the directory.
>
> Does anyone have a magic wand ?
>
> They have been there now for 18 months and they are like an itch I can't
> scratch, and keep going back to. This is about my 3rd post, all previous
> ideas having failed.
>
> Cheers
December 31, 2004 7:52:16 PM

Will Denny wrote:
> Hi
>
> Those error messages would suggest that the folder doesn't exist and has
> already been deleted. Are they Windows or 3 party program folders. If the
> latter, do you know which program created them?

I think they were created by a 3rd party long long time ago though

Thanks for quick reply
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 8:49:22 PM

Thanks,

Got rid of my itch. Your dir /x was a help. I also discovered that two
of the folders had hidden files in them which didn't help matters. I
used the attrib command and managed to sort it out. Also found that the
rmdir used with the /s was a big help.

If anyone is interested, a tip from an old fossil. when using commands
at a dos prompt, if you are unsure what switches you can use type the
command followed by /? and you will get a list of the possibilities. i.e
dir /?

Cheers

Paul

Patti MacLeod wrote:
> Hi Gibbylinks,
>
> If you haven't done so already, give this a try.......
>
> Open a Command Prompt window, navigate to the parent directory of the
> "problem" subdirectories, then key in:
> dir /x
> This will display both the Short File Name and the Long File Name for the
> directories (for example, the Short File Name for the Long File Name of
> Program Files is Progra~1). Take note of the Short File Name for the
> "problem" subdirectories, then try deleting them, using the rmdir command,
> using the Short File Name.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "Gibbylinks" <gibbylinks@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>I have 4 or 5 sub-directories that I can't delete. I can create files
>>within them and delete them no problem, but when I try to delete the
>>folder I get the error message
>>
>>"cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk." in a
>>message box.
>>

>>I have tried running chkdsk and found no errors, I have defragged my
>>drive and I have also tried deleting them from the command prompt, using
>>the rmdir command which returns "the system cannot find the file
>>specified" as an error, and del returns "could not find c:\......."
>>where ..... is the path the directory.
>>
>>Does anyone have a magic wand ?
>>
>>They have been there now for 18 months and they are like an itch I can't
>>scratch, and keep going back to. This is about my 3rd post, all previous
>>ideas having failed.
>>
>>Cheers

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 8:51:39 PM

Patti MacLeod wrote:
> Hi Gibbylinks,
>
> If you haven't done so already, give this a try.......
>
> Open a Command Prompt window, navigate to the parent directory of the
> "problem" subdirectories, then key in:
> dir /x
> This will display both the Short File Name and the Long File Name for the
> directories (for example, the Short File Name for the Long File Name of
> Program Files is Progra~1). Take note of the Short File Name for the
> "problem" subdirectories, then try deleting them, using the rmdir command,
> using the Short File Name.
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Patti MacLeod
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> "Gibbylinks" <gibbylinks@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>I have 4 or 5 sub-directories that I can't delete. I can create files
>>within them and delete them no problem, but when I try to delete the
>>folder I get the error message
>>
>>"cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk." in a
>>message box.
>>

>>I have tried running chkdsk and found no errors, I have defragged my
>>drive and I have also tried deleting them from the command prompt, using
>>the rmdir command which returns "the system cannot find the file
>>specified" as an error, and del returns "could not find c:\......."
>>where ..... is the path the directory.
>>
>>Does anyone have a magic wand ?
>>
>>They have been there now for 18 months and they are like an itch I can't
>>scratch, and keep going back to. This is about my 3rd post, all previous
>>ideas having failed.
>>
>>Cheers

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 8:51:40 PM

You're welcome :-)

Glad that I was able to point you in the right direction.

Regards,

--

"Paul Gibbs" <gibbylinks@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Thanks,
>
> Got rid of my itch. Your dir /x was a help. I also discovered that two
> of the folders had hidden files in them which didn't help matters. I
> used the attrib command and managed to sort it out. Also found that the
> rmdir used with the /s was a big help.
>
> If anyone is interested, a tip from an old fossil. when using commands
> at a dos prompt, if you are unsure what switches you can use type the
> command followed by /? and you will get a list of the possibilities. i.e
> dir /?
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul
>
> Patti MacLeod wrote:
> > Hi Gibbylinks,
> >
> > If you haven't done so already, give this a try.......
> >
> > Open a Command Prompt window, navigate to the parent directory of the
> > "problem" subdirectories, then key in:
> > dir /x
> > This will display both the Short File Name and the Long File Name for
the
> > directories (for example, the Short File Name for the Long File Name of
> > Program Files is Progra~1). Take note of the Short File Name for the
> > "problem" subdirectories, then try deleting them, using the rmdir
command,
> > using the Short File Name.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Patti MacLeod
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >
> > "Gibbylinks" <gibbylinks@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> >>I have 4 or 5 sub-directories that I can't delete. I can create files
> >>within them and delete them no problem, but when I try to delete the
> >>folder I get the error message
> >>
> >>"cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk." in a
> >>message box.
> >>

> >>I have tried running chkdsk and found no errors, I have defragged my
> >>drive and I have also tried deleting them from the command prompt, using
> >>the rmdir command which returns "the system cannot find the file
> >>specified" as an error, and del returns "could not find c:\......."
> >>where ..... is the path the directory.
> >>
> >>Does anyone have a magic wand ?
> >>
> >>They have been there now for 18 months and they are like an itch I can't
> >>scratch, and keep going back to. This is about my 3rd post, all previous
> >>ideas having failed.
> >>
> >>Cheers

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 8:32:16 PM

"Patti MacLeod" <pam120@nospamshaw.ca> wrote:

>You're welcome :-)
>
>Glad that I was able to point you in the right direction.
>

>Regards,
>
>--
>Patti MacLeod
>Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
>"Paul Gibbs" <gibbylinks@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Got rid of my itch. Your dir /x was a help. I also discovered that two
>> of the folders had hidden files in them which didn't help matters. I
>> used the attrib command and managed to sort it out. Also found that the
>> rmdir used with the /s was a big help.
>>
>> If anyone is interested, a tip from an old fossil. when using commands
>> at a dos prompt, if you are unsure what switches you can use type the
>> command followed by /? and you will get a list of the possibilities. i.e
>> dir /?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> Patti MacLeod wrote:
>> > Hi Gibbylinks,
>> >
>> > If you haven't done so already, give this a try.......
>> >
>> > Open a Command Prompt window, navigate to the parent directory of the
>> > "problem" subdirectories, then key in:
>> > dir /x
>> > This will display both the Short File Name and the Long File Name for
>the
>> > directories (for example, the Short File Name for the Long File Name of
>> > Program Files is Progra~1). Take note of the Short File Name for the
>> > "problem" subdirectories, then try deleting them, using the rmdir
>command,
>> > using the Short File Name.
>> >

>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > --
>> > Patti MacLeod
>> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> >
>> > "Gibbylinks" <gibbylinks@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Now if you would just learn how to post on Usenet you would be a
wonderful person in all ways.

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

no_spam@no_where.invalid> wrote in message

Now if you would just learn how to post on Usenet you would be a
wonderful person in all ways.

A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Thank you for the lesson in netiquette. I bottom post if the flow of the
thread has been to bottom post, otherwise, I far prefer top posting.

Regards,

--
!