Another Skyrim low fps question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxidodies

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Hello all,
I couldn't find a thread with the same issues as mine and tekmage's thread did not help. I have getting constant 15-20fps outside and 30+ inside. During heavy situations it goes lower, making the game unplayable. Skyrim used to freeze alot but I got ENB's patch (using V5 right now) and that fixed a freezing problem. If I change all my settings to the lowest or the highest, my fps only varies by about 5-8.

System specs (yes old and slow, but can play modern games on decent settings):

Asus P5GD1-VM
Pentium 4 HT @ 3.0GHz, default (overclocking crashes the computer)
Galaxy GT 240 1GB ddr3
2GB ram ddr 667
460 watt PS

Thanks in advance

Solution
Unfortunately, Pentium 4 HT 3.0 ghz just isn't going to cut it for Skyrim. Skyrim is very cpu intensive, and even your video card is not helping you out here. What resolution are you trying to run it at? I would try 1280x720, med/low settings, with ENB performance patch series 092 ver 5 before you call it quits though and if it happens to run okay at that setting.. Adjust settings incrementally higher until it hits the sweet spot for you.

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or equivalent processor
2 GB System RAM
6 GB free HDD Space
Direct X 9 compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Your specs are pretty close to the minimum, if not below, unfortunately. You ideally want a dual-core CPU...yours is single-core hyper-threaded which isn't quite the same. Also, your RAM is at the minimum too. The GPU should be able to play it on lower settings, but is in all likelihood being hampered by the CPU and RAM.

That's not to say you can't play it on minimum settings. But if I'm being honest, I'm not surprised you're struggling to play it at decent frame-rates at higher settings.

Upgrade time? :)

maxidodies

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

I wish it was upgrade time... I just don't understand why changing the resolution and graphic settings does not affect fps? I can pay at 1080p with max settings and get the same fps as playing at 720p with minimum settings?

tekmage

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Unfortunately, Pentium 4 HT 3.0 ghz just isn't going to cut it for Skyrim. Skyrim is very cpu intensive, and even your video card is not helping you out here. What resolution are you trying to run it at? I would try 1280x720, med/low settings, with ENB performance patch series 092 ver 5 before you call it quits though and if it happens to run okay at that setting.. Adjust settings incrementally higher until it hits the sweet spot for you.

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or equivalent processor
2 GB System RAM
6 GB free HDD Space
Direct X 9 compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM
DirectX compatible sound card
Internet access for Steam activation

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.