Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How do I get my wife's PC to find the scanner shared on my PC? I have the
network set up, I have the printer connected to my computer and the scanner
(sharing), My wife has the wireless laptop. She can print fine but the
scanner program ..."can't find scanner" I have the drivers installed etc.
The printer was a piece of cake, just went to her laptop, clicked on Network
Workgroup, clicked my PC Icon, clicked the printer, it loaded the drivers,
viola printer. Now, I tried the same thing for the scanner, But to find out
it was nothing but a link (Driver) to my software, she can "Print To" my
Paperport Program etc...

You cannot share a scanner over a network in Windows XP,
only printers.

You can install the scanner software on one PC,
but you cannot share the scanner itself over a network.

Help and Support Incorrectly States That Sharing of Scanners is Possible
;Q304097]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q304097

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Richard" wrote:

| How do I get my wife's PC to find the scanner shared on my PC? I have the
| network set up, I have the printer connected to my computer and the scanner
| (sharing), My wife has the wireless laptop. She can print fine but the
| scanner program ..."can't find scanner" I have the drivers installed etc.
| The printer was a piece of cake, just went to her laptop, clicked on Network
| Workgroup, clicked my PC Icon, clicked the printer, it loaded the drivers,
| viola printer. Now, I tried the same thing for the scanner, But to find out
| it was nothing but a link (Driver) to my software, she can "Print To" my
| Paperport Program etc...

A scanner is not normally a networkable device. There are a few scanners
that can be networked, they usually start at around $3000, therefore it is
often cheaper to get a cheap scanner per PC.
www.coribright.com

Richard wrote:
> How do I get my wife's PC to find the scanner shared on my PC? I have the
> network set up, I have the printer connected to my computer and the scanner
> (sharing), My wife has the wireless laptop. She can print fine but the
> scanner program ..."can't find scanner" I have the drivers installed etc.
> The printer was a piece of cake, just went to her laptop, clicked on Network
> Workgroup, clicked my PC Icon, clicked the printer, it loaded the drivers,
> viola printer. Now, I tried the same thing for the scanner, But to find out
> it was nothing but a link (Driver) to my software, she can "Print To" my
> Paperport Program etc...

Contrary to Mary and Carey's answers, there is software available that
will allow sharing a scanner across a network, but as Mary suggested
about hardware, it might be cheaper just to buy another scanner. Here's
an example: http://tinyurl.com/3lba4

Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>
>> How do I get my wife's PC to find the scanner shared on my PC? I have the
>> network set up, I have the printer connected to my computer and the
>> scanner
>> (sharing), My wife has the wireless laptop. She can print fine but the
>> scanner program ..."can't find scanner" I have the drivers installed etc.
>> The printer was a piece of cake, just went to her laptop, clicked on
>> Network
>> Workgroup, clicked my PC Icon, clicked the printer, it loaded the
>> drivers,
>> viola printer. Now, I tried the same thing for the scanner, But to
>> find out
>> it was nothing but a link (Driver) to my software, she can "Print To" my
>> Paperport Program etc...
>>

> Contrary to Mary and Carey's answers, there is software available that
> will allow sharing a scanner across a network, but as Mary suggested
> about hardware, it might be cheaper just to buy another scanner. Here's
> an example: http://tinyurl.com/3lba4

I said "Mary" and should have said "Cari."

"Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> How do I get my wife's PC to find the scanner shared on my PC? I
> have the
> network set up, I have the printer connected to my computer and
> the scanner
> (sharing), My wife has the wireless laptop. She can print fine but
> the
> scanner program ..."can't find scanner" I have the drivers
> installed etc.
> The printer was a piece of cake, just went to her laptop, clicked
> on Network
> Workgroup, clicked my PC Icon, clicked the printer, it loaded the
> drivers,
> viola printer. Now, I tried the same thing for the scanner, But to
> find out
> it was nothing but a link (Driver) to my software, she can "Print
> To" my
> Paperport Program etc...

Sharing a remote scanner is impractical. How would you put the
document on the scanner when you are sitting on the patio and the
scanner is in the basement? The thing to do is scan from the
attached computer and store the image in a folder accessible from
the laptop. Conversely you could make it a two person job.

--
Earl F. Parrish