Sharing a scanner?

How do I get my wife's PC to find the scanner shared on my PC? I have the
network set up, I have the printer connected to my computer and the scanner
(sharing), My wife has the wireless laptop. She can print fine but the
scanner program ..."can't find scanner" I have the drivers installed etc.
The printer was a piece of cake, just went to her laptop, clicked on Network
Workgroup, clicked my PC Icon, clicked the printer, it loaded the drivers,
viola printer. Now, I tried the same thing for the scanner, But to find out
it was nothing but a link (Driver) to my software, she can "Print To" my
Paperport Program etc...
5 answers Last reply
More about sharing scanner

    You cannot share a scanner over a network in Windows XP,
    only printers.

    You can install the scanner software on one PC,
    but you cannot share the scanner itself over a network.

    Help and Support Incorrectly States That Sharing of Scanners is Possible
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q304097

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Richard" wrote:

    | How do I get my wife's PC to find the scanner shared on my PC? I have the
    | network set up, I have the printer connected to my computer and the scanner
    | (sharing), My wife has the wireless laptop. She can print fine but the
    | scanner program ..."can't find scanner" I have the drivers installed etc.
    | The printer was a piece of cake, just went to her laptop, clicked on Network
    | Workgroup, clicked my PC Icon, clicked the printer, it loaded the drivers,
    | viola printer. Now, I tried the same thing for the scanner, But to find out
    | it was nothing but a link (Driver) to my software, she can "Print To" my
    | Paperport Program etc...

    A scanner is not normally a networkable device. There are a few scanners
    that can be networked, they usually start at around $3000, therefore it is
    often cheaper to get a cheap scanner per PC.
    www.coribright.com

    Richard wrote:
    > How do I get my wife's PC to find the scanner shared on my PC? I have the
    > network set up, I have the printer connected to my computer and the scanner
    > (sharing), My wife has the wireless laptop. She can print fine but the
    > scanner program ..."can't find scanner" I have the drivers installed etc.
    > The printer was a piece of cake, just went to her laptop, clicked on Network
    > Workgroup, clicked my PC Icon, clicked the printer, it loaded the drivers,
    > viola printer. Now, I tried the same thing for the scanner, But to find out
    > it was nothing but a link (Driver) to my software, she can "Print To" my
    > Paperport Program etc...

    Contrary to Mary and Carey's answers, there is software available that
    will allow sharing a scanner across a network, but as Mary suggested
    about hardware, it might be cheaper just to buy another scanner. Here's
    an example: http://tinyurl.com/3lba4

    Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> How do I get my wife's PC to find the scanner shared on my PC? I have the
    >> network set up, I have the printer connected to my computer and the
    >> scanner
    >> (sharing), My wife has the wireless laptop. She can print fine but the
    >> scanner program ..."can't find scanner" I have the drivers installed etc.
    >> The printer was a piece of cake, just went to her laptop, clicked on
    >> Network
    >> Workgroup, clicked my PC Icon, clicked the printer, it loaded the
    >> drivers,
    >> viola printer. Now, I tried the same thing for the scanner, But to
    >> find out
    >> it was nothing but a link (Driver) to my software, she can "Print To" my
    >> Paperport Program etc...
    >>

    > Contrary to Mary and Carey's answers, there is software available that
    > will allow sharing a scanner across a network, but as Mary suggested
    > about hardware, it might be cheaper just to buy another scanner. Here's
    > an example: http://tinyurl.com/3lba4

    I said "Mary" and should have said "Cari."

    "Richard" <rwrede2@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > How do I get my wife's PC to find the scanner shared on my PC? I
    > have the
    > network set up, I have the printer connected to my computer and
    > the scanner
    > (sharing), My wife has the wireless laptop. She can print fine but
    > the
    > scanner program ..."can't find scanner" I have the drivers
    > installed etc.
    > The printer was a piece of cake, just went to her laptop, clicked
    > on Network
    > Workgroup, clicked my PC Icon, clicked the printer, it loaded the
    > drivers,
    > viola printer. Now, I tried the same thing for the scanner, But to
    > find out
    > it was nothing but a link (Driver) to my software, she can "Print
    > To" my
    > Paperport Program etc...

    Sharing a remote scanner is impractical. How would you put the
    document on the scanner when you are sitting on the patio and the
    scanner is in the basement? The thing to do is scan from the
    attached computer and store the image in a folder accessible from
    the laptop. Conversely you could make it a two person job.

    --
    Earl F. Parrish

Scanners Printers Windows XP