System restore malfunction

My system restore does not work on XP SP2. I am getting the following error
message in the event viewer:
Event ID: 7023
The System Restore Service service terminated with the following error:

I have run the system file checker but that has not restored the service.

Also, when I try to access the System Restore tab in My Computer, the
Properties window crashes and says that rundll32.exe has crashed.

Event viewer shows the following error in the application listing:
Event ID: 1000
Faulting application rundll32.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module
srrstr.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x000099b2.

Any clues from anyone?
1 answer Last reply
More about system restore malfunction

    Hi

    Try reinstalling System Restore. Open Windows Explorer and go to the
    windows\inf folder. In there find the sr.inf file, right click it and
    select Install.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "kenherr2005" <kenherr2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My system restore does not work on XP SP2. I am getting the following
    > error
    > message in the event viewer:
    > Event ID: 7023
    > The System Restore Service service terminated with the following error:
    > The system cannot find the path specified.
    >
    > I have run the system file checker but that has not restored the service.
    >
    > Also, when I try to access the System Restore tab in My Computer, the
    > Properties window crashes and says that rundll32.exe has crashed.
    >
    > Event viewer shows the following error in the application listing:
    > Event ID: 1000
    > Faulting application rundll32.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module
    > srrstr.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x000099b2.
    >
    > Any clues from anyone?

Event Viewer System Restore Windows XP