Can't install hardware

I attempted to replace the video card on my daughter's three year old Athlon
XP 1600+ system (with 768MB ram, win xp/sp2, Soundblaster Live card). Old
card was Leadtek Geforce2 MX400, new card an ATI Radeon 9600. The Radeon
driver installation wizard would not complete, kicking me out saying to use a
standard vga driver prior to running the wizard. Unfortunately, the system
was already in vga mode ("VgaSafe") (although I could not determine how to
choose a generic manufacturer and model as in Win95 days). I then attempted
to reinstall the old Geforce card, but ITS installation wizard would abort.
At this point, I also couldn't get control panel to open (it would error)
and, thus, I reinstalled WinXP. I did not yet apply any service packs, so I
have a 'build 2600' system.

After the reinstallation, I tried to install the Radeon card again, and the
wizard failed again. I then retried installing the original card and, while
the installation wizard appears to be successful, upon reboot the video card
is not recognized by the system (no display adapter). No 'new hardware
found' prompts either.

[Not to possibly confuse apples and oranges, but a few months ago I tried
replacing the Live! sound card with an Audigy, and an Audigy 2, and in each
case the system wouldn't recognize or see the installed cards. I installed
them in different slots, etc. But in that case, the original card properly
reinstalled.]

I have attempted installing the drivers with the included install disks, and
from the newest drivers provided by the Nvidia and ATI sites. I am at wits
end, and appreciate all advice. If I need to completely reformat my drive,
would appreciate tips on how to prepare a driver disk (and how to find the
drivers for my dvd rom drive, modem, etc). Thanks.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"garywsp" <garywsp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I attempted to replace the video card on my daughter's three year old
>Athlon
> XP 1600+ system (with 768MB ram, win xp/sp2, Soundblaster Live card). Old
> card was Leadtek Geforce2 MX400, new card an ATI Radeon 9600. The Radeon
> driver installation wizard would not complete, kicking me out saying to
> use a
> standard vga driver prior to running the wizard. Unfortunately, the system
> was already in vga mode ("VgaSafe") (although I could not determine how to
> choose a generic manufacturer and model as in Win95 days). I then
> attempted
> to reinstall the old Geforce card, but ITS installation wizard would
> abort.
> At this point, I also couldn't get control panel to open (it would error)
> and, thus, I reinstalled WinXP. I did not yet apply any service packs, so
> have a 'build 2600' system.
>
> After the reinstallation, I tried to install the Radeon card again, and
> the
> wizard failed again. I then retried installing the original card and,
> while
> the installation wizard appears to be successful, upon reboot the video
> card
> is not recognized by the system (no display adapter). No 'new hardware
> found' prompts either.
>
> [Not to possibly confuse apples and oranges, but a few months ago I tried
> replacing the Live! sound card with an Audigy, and an Audigy 2, and in
> each
> case the system wouldn't recognize or see the installed cards. I
> installed
> them in different slots, etc. But in that case, the original card properly
> reinstalled.]
>
> I have attempted installing the drivers with the included install disks,
> and
> from the newest drivers provided by the Nvidia and ATI sites. I am at
> wits
> end, and appreciate all advice. If I need to completely reformat my
> drive,
> would appreciate tips on how to prepare a driver disk (and how to find the
> drivers for my dvd rom drive, modem, etc). Thanks.

<<<<<<<http://www.drivercleaner.net/>>>>>>>

I've done all recommendations. I've removed all instances of both ATI and
Nvidia drivers. I've run Drive Cleaner (with Cab Cleaner) several times.
I've attempted to install the Radeon card several times (drive cleaning and
rebooting each time). Every time, I get the failure during the ATI
installation wizard (recommending that I setup in VGA mode). My card is not
a recognized display adapter, and I still do not receive a 'found new
hardware' window.

"Frank" wrote:

> "garywsp" <garywsp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I attempted to replace the video card on my daughter's three year old
> >Athlon
> > XP 1600+ system (with 768MB ram, win xp/sp2, Soundblaster Live card). Old
> > card was Leadtek Geforce2 MX400, new card an ATI Radeon 9600. The Radeon
> > driver installation wizard would not complete, kicking me out saying to
> > use a
> > standard vga driver prior to running the wizard. Unfortunately, the system
> > was already in vga mode ("VgaSafe") (although I could not determine how to
> > choose a generic manufacturer and model as in Win95 days). I then
> > attempted
> > to reinstall the old Geforce card, but ITS installation wizard would
> > abort.
> > At this point, I also couldn't get control panel to open (it would error)
> > and, thus, I reinstalled WinXP. I did not yet apply any service packs, so
> > have a 'build 2600' system.
> >
> > After the reinstallation, I tried to install the Radeon card again, and
> > the
> > wizard failed again. I then retried installing the original card and,
> > while
> > the installation wizard appears to be successful, upon reboot the video
> > card
> > is not recognized by the system (no display adapter). No 'new hardware
> > found' prompts either.
> >
> > [Not to possibly confuse apples and oranges, but a few months ago I tried
> > replacing the Live! sound card with an Audigy, and an Audigy 2, and in
> > each
> > case the system wouldn't recognize or see the installed cards. I
> > installed
> > them in different slots, etc. But in that case, the original card properly
> > reinstalled.]
> >
> > I have attempted installing the drivers with the included install disks,
> > and
> > from the newest drivers provided by the Nvidia and ATI sites. I am at
> > wits
> > end, and appreciate all advice. If I need to completely reformat my
> > drive,
> > would appreciate tips on how to prepare a driver disk (and how to find the
> > drivers for my dvd rom drive, modem, etc). Thanks.
>
> <<<<<<<http://www.drivercleaner.net/>>>>>>>

My mistake was not reinstalling VIA 4-in-1 drivers after completing the WinXP
repair. During the repair, I was prompted for a "viaagp1.sys" file, and I
cancelled out. I went to my SIS (non-VIA) box, and noticed that that file
was present, so blissfully ignored it. After reboot, all of my activities
(installing, uninstalling, driver cleaning, etc) never resulted in the card
being recognized. So, in frustration, I again repaired the OS. This time,
though, I was ready with the file on a CD, and provided it when prompted.
After repair, I loaded fresh VIA drivers, rebooted, and successfully
installed my Radeon card. Thanks to all that helped!