kindlr

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
Wasn't sure where to post this and figured this would be as good a place as any. I'm going to have 1 60GB 5400RPM hard drive, a 16x/48x dvd player, and a 16x/10x/40x cd burner. I'm not sure how to set this up on the 2 IDE channels though. For burning I'd want the DVD/HD on one and CD-R on another, but the CD-R shouldn't be used for reading CDs, and for games using the DVD when its on the HD cable might cause a problem.. I think I have this right, but if I don't point it out, and if I do could anyone suggest a configuration which would be the most effective? Oh, the drives are a Western Digital WD600AB, a Lite-On LTD-163, and a Digital Research drive (the $30 at Best Buy)

Me "I bought a TNT2 M64, the BIOS says its a Vanta"
IOMagic "Theyre the same card"
Me "Um, no"

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
I'll take a WAG (Wild-A**-Guess)

I think the solution is:

Primary Master-HDD
Primary Slave-CD
Secondary Master-DVD

Yippeekiiaayyy yippeekiioohhh Ghost rabbits in the sky.

The trucker is right.

Always try to have your HDD as master on your first channel and have your main reading drive as master on the second.

Don't put your reading and writing drives on the same channel.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would suggest:
Primary Master- HDD
Primary Slave- CD
Secondary Master- second HDD or CD burner, keep slot empty.
Secondary Slave- DVD

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
take your choice between burning on the fly performance or CDROM/HDD performance in games. The 'fly burning performance probably gets affected most, but i think it depends on how often you'll actually be burning and how impatent you are on burning.

Game Performance priority:
PM: HDD
PS: -
SM: CD/DVD-ROM
SS: CDRW

Fly burning priority:
PM: HDD
PS: CDROM
SM: CDRW
SS: -
-- the reason i dont put CDRW on primary cable is partly for HDD copying to CDRW performace, but mostly because a lot of games will only work when game CD is in the first (logical) drive and for games you dont want to be using the slow CDRW (slow for seek and probably spin times) which would also mean it gets more wear than necessary, cdrom cheaper to replace. maybe its possible to switch around drive letters in BIOS/Win in which case proly switch CDROM and CDRW for the second solution.

Theres a similar ish post in CDRW's (maybe CD- DVD forum) that might be of interest.

The more I know the more I know I don't know