Lan Indicators

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
Hello, i am trying to figure out how to connect some leds to the onboard lan indicator, JP2 on the k7s5a, and i want to know which pin is positive, and which is negative. also, would the voltage coming off the board be correct for an led without a resistor?
i have some ultra bright blues that i want to use, and i am going to connect them with an old cdrom cable.
pins 1&2 are for the link led, and pins 3&4 are for the 100 activity connector.
anyone know?
i cant find it anywhere on ecs's site.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well..this sucks a$$.............
i tried to use a meter to check the voltage, and when it did, i think i shorted out the header for the activity led.
FUUUUUUC******************!!!!!!
network works, and the led works, but the led is very dim...the one on the link side works fine..
what happened was pins 2 and 3 got connected, and it was for a split second...but i think i did the damage...
if i was to take this board back to frys, as a second return, do you think that they would give me guff for it?
or is there a way to up the volts coming out of the header to fix the problem?
oh, and the led's work great without the resistors, i think that resistors would just make the thing break....
this is a real bummer, beacuse i just finished makingt the led thing, and tried it, and the activity side is shot, i even tried just connecting the link led, which is bright on the link side, to the activity side, and it was just dimmed...it works, but BARELY!
i dunno...i think to make myself feel better, i will go solder on a molex connector to the new 120 mm fan that i picked up...oh man, that sucker is going to be on the side of my case tomorrow...
i even bought some new reinforced dremel cutoff wheels....
this led thing is frustrating tho...damn probes on the meter are too big...toss this thing in the trash!
and take something to make my hands stop shaking when i am doing something like that.......heh

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
ok, i think that tomorrow, i am going to take a trip to fry's. i am going to take the board back.
then get the same board...see if i can get a newer revision, like 6...maybe...i dunno...
all depends on what they have handy.
then i get to go to the local REAL electronics shop to buy a 100ohm pot to use as a control for my new 120mm toyo fan...
love this fan, and man, it can crank out the air...very nice fan...
well, i learned my lesson on testing stuff on a mobo....BE WAYYYY MORE CAREFUL.

i am going to feel like an a$$ when i take that board back, because i have already taken one back.
any suggestions on a reason?
i am leaning towards it is giving me random memory dumps...and would like to get a different one...since the last one didnt do that...
anyone know a better reason?
i dont think they would take it back if i told them that i was testing the voltage coming off the lan activity header when the computer was on, and accidentaly shorted it...
heh.
i know it is a bit late, since it is 3:26 am here, but i would like to know before i leave for fry's tomorrow.
it is kinda frustrating...seeing as how the board works, just the activity header is putting out a bit too little juice, just enough to make the led start to glow...ugh....crapadoodledoo........

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
ok, i finished putting my 120mm fan on my case, and my friends slightly larger than 80mm fan on the side of his case...the dremel got a workout today...
but for the life of me, i still cant get the led indicators to work right.
they light up, but one is REALLY dim...and i cant figure it out.
two different mobos...and when i switch the leds around, the one that is hooked to the one with the activity is always the dim one.
anyone have an idea why this would be happening...let me know...
oh, and my email wont send anything out, so i dont think i will be able to respond if you e-mail me.
i would like to finish this led thing so that i can relax and look at my remodded case and smile, insead of frown, and wonder why it isnt working...

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Did they swap your motherboard? What did you tell them?

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. All advice here is free.</font color=blue>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i told them that it had random memory dumps, because it was a rev.4
and those are notorious for mem dumps...
and they returned it, but this was the last time i can return it, if this one is messed up, then i have to buy a new board!
i got lucky...

-DAvid

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Sounds like you are on a first name basic with them. Glad it worked. Till you told me this I was going to suggest obtaining a couple of small, inexpensive micro-probes from Radio Shack to test the voltage on the contacts, but I wouldn't risk it now.

<font color=blue>Remember. You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, i dont think that i will risk it on this one...
i would rather find out from the manufacturer either how i can make mine, where i can get one, or just what voltage and what led and resistor to use...
too bad they werent open today.
it kinda sucks.
i have to call tomorrow...and hope that the tech that i get ahold of knows what the hell they are talking about!
and for the ammount of time and money i have put in fry's, i should own the place!
heh...

-DAvid