CDM-9900 vs. vx6100 with bitpim/gagin/etc.

Last response: in Network Providers
December 17, 2004 11:14:21 PM

I've compared the features, handled the phones, and read the
reviews.

I'm leaning toward the Audiovox CDM-9900. (Yes, they're available
in my area.) The LG vx6100 came in second.

One strong advantage for the 6100 is the bitpim support, which
allows reading & writing ringtones, photos, wallpapers, and the
phonebook.

Is there any comparable tool that would do this with the 9900?
I've seen a lot of references to gagin, but haven't found much
real info yet. Anything else?

-troy
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 4:46:42 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:14:21 -0500, Troy Cauble wrote:

> I've compared the features, handled the phones, and read the
> reviews.
>
> I'm leaning toward the Audiovox CDM-9900. (Yes, they're available
> in my area.) The LG vx6100 came in second.
>
> One strong advantage for the 6100 is the bitpim support, which
> allows reading & writing ringtones, photos, wallpapers, and the
> phonebook.
>
> Is there any comparable tool that would do this with the 9900?
> I've seen a lot of references to gagin, but haven't found much
> real info yet. Anything else?
>
> -troy

The Audiovox Asura software will do backups and some program modifications,
and SnapSync and DataPilot will do the phonebooks, but ringtones and
wallpaper have to be sent by SMS. See Howardforums.com Audiovox forum for
more information.

FWIW, the 9900 is heads above the 6100 in screen resolution and customer
reviews, and has a color outside LCD. I looked at both and bought the 9900.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/user_reviews.php?phone...
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/user_reviews.php?phone...
Anonymous
December 18, 2004 5:55:10 AM

"Troy Cauble" <spam@optonline.net> wrote in message
> I've compared the features, handled the phones, and read the
> reviews.
>
> I'm leaning toward the Audiovox CDM-9900. (Yes, they're available
> in my area.) The LG vx6100 came in second.
>
> One strong advantage for the 6100 is the bitpim support, which
> allows reading & writing ringtones, photos, wallpapers, and the
> phonebook.
>
> Is there any comparable tool that would do this with the 9900?
> I've seen a lot of references to gagin, but haven't found much
> real info yet. Anything else?
>
> -troy

I found that "being available" is not the same thing as "we have one here in
the store ... I'll hold it for you."

Don't wait.
--

- Philip
Happy owner of new CDM9900

"Traveling Man" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:14:21 -0500, Troy Cauble wrote:
>
>> I've compared the features, handled the phones, and read the
>> reviews.
>>
>> I'm leaning toward the Audiovox CDM-9900. (Yes, they're available
>> in my area.) The LG vx6100 came in second.
>>
>> One strong advantage for the 6100 is the bitpim support, which
>> allows reading & writing ringtones, photos, wallpapers, and the
>> phonebook.
>>
>> Is there any comparable tool that would do this with the 9900?
>> I've seen a lot of references to gagin, but haven't found much
>> real info yet. Anything else?
>>
>> -troy
>
> The Audiovox Asura software will do backups and some program
> modifications, and SnapSync and DataPilot will do the phonebooks,
> but ringtones and wallpaper have to be sent by SMS. See
> Howardforums.com Audiovox forum for more information.
SNIP

I tried that. You need to use the browser and have internet access on your
plan. SMS doesn't do file attachments.

--

- Philip
Anonymous

ringtones to your CDM9000 without paying for Internet access. Just send
them as an email attachment.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 5:31:54 PM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 02:55:11 GMT, Philip wrote:

>> The Audiovox Asura software will do backups and some program
>> modifications, and SnapSync and DataPilot will do the phonebooks,
>> but ringtones and wallpaper have to be sent by SMS. See
>> Howardforums.com Audiovox forum for more information.
> SNIP
>
> I tried that. You need to use the browser and have internet access on your
> plan. SMS doesn't do file attachments.

My typo. You need National Access MOU. NA-MOU is standard with all new AC
plans, and can be added at no charge to existing ones. You don't need
mobile web though. The messages come into your inbox and you can save the
image/ringtone attachments.

You do have to send them from an email account though. I use Yahoo mail.
AOL and Hotmail don't work because of their non-standard protocols.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 5:32:37 PM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 02:55:10 GMT, Philip wrote:

> "Troy Cauble" <spam@optonline.net> wrote in message
>> I've compared the features, handled the phones, and read the
>> reviews.
>>
>> I'm leaning toward the Audiovox CDM-9900. (Yes, they're available
>> in my area.) The LG vx6100 came in second.
>>
>> One strong advantage for the 6100 is the bitpim support, which
>> allows reading & writing ringtones, photos, wallpapers, and the
>> phonebook.
>>
>> Is there any comparable tool that would do this with the 9900?
>> I've seen a lot of references to gagin, but haven't found much
>> real info yet. Anything else?
>>
>> -troy
>
> I found that "being available" is not the same thing as "we have one here in
> the store ... I'll hold it for you."
>
> Don't wait.

Yep. Grab one now while you can.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 6:33:20 PM

> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 02:55:11 GMT, Philip wrote:
>
>>> The Audiovox Asura software will do backups and some program
>>> modifications, and SnapSync and DataPilot will do the phonebooks,
>>> but ringtones and wallpaper have to be sent by SMS. See
>>> Howardforums.com Audiovox forum for more information.
>> SNIP
>>
>> I tried that. You need to use the browser and have internet
>> access on your plan. SMS doesn't do file attachments.
>
> My typo. You need National Access MOU. NA-MOU is standard with
> all new AC plans, and can be added at no charge to existing ones.
> You don't need mobile web though. The messages come into your
> inbox and you can save the image/ringtone attachments.
snip

National Access ... Hmmm. My plan is an older Single Rate Western 3500
plan. How much more $$ to add this NA feature?

--

- Philip
Anonymous

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:33:20 GMT, Philip wrote:

> National Access ... Hmmm. My plan is an older Single Rate Western 3500
> plan. How much more $$ to add this NA feature?

None. I just called 611 and asked them to put it on my account. Tell them
it's for you to better download GIN. If you mention computer connections
or data they will push the $$ data plan plan on you.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 8:28:37 PM

In article <1103411808.057337.291840@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, 4phun wrote:
> You need to read Howard Fourms or subscribe to the mailing list
> VX6k@yahoogroups.com and read the archives. You can send photos and
> ringtones to your CDM9000 without paying for Internet access. Just send
> them as an email attachment.

If I want to send a ringtone to my 9900, will it only cost me .02
to receive the message? Also, it still isn't clear if you can pull photos
off of the phone with the data cable like you can with the 6100. Is this
possible? Thanks.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:59:46 AM

aafsf <adfasdf@adsfasdfasdfwe.afdadfa> wrote in

25 cents. It's a data message to your#@vzwpix.com

> Also, it still isn't clear if you can pull
> photos off of the phone with the data cable like you can with the
> 6100. Is this possible? Thanks.

I don't think so. I've heard the data cable link has been disabled.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 12:42:46 AM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 05:59:46 GMT, Sharon Westfall wrote:

> aafsf <adfasdf@adsfasdfasdfwe.afdadfa> wrote in

>> Also, it still isn't clear if you can pull
>> photos off of the phone with the data cable like you can with the
>> 6100. Is this possible? Thanks.
>
> I don't think so. I've heard the data cable link has been disabled.

Correct. You can transfer the phone book with Futuredial or Susteen
software, but not the pictures or ringtones.
!