Defrag has disappeared in XP

I have followed advice of other postings, but cannot find any trace of
defrag to be able to re-install from control panel.... add/delete programmes
.. When I try to access defrag I get the message
Windows cannot open this file
File dfrg.msc
Then it asks what I want to use to open the file.
Would appreciate any help on this. Thanks

Hi

What happens if the type dfrg.msc from Start>Run? If the Defrag program
doesn't appear, you can extract a fresh copy from the XP CD. Put the XP CD
into the cd drive and type the following from Start>Run

expand X:\i386\dfrg.ms_ %systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc

where X is the cd drive letter.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> What happens if the type dfrg.msc from Start>Run? If the Defrag program
> doesn't appear, you can extract a fresh copy from the XP CD. Put the XP CD
> into the cd drive and type the following from Start>Run
>
> expand X:\i386\dfrg.ms_ %systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc

where X is the cd drive letter

Hi Will,
Still no joy......When I typed dfrg.msc from Start>Run I had the same
message that Windows cannot open this file ...msc
When I put the cd in and typed the details you suggested in the Start>Run I
had a flash of a smaller black screen. This was happening before also when
trying to access defrag. I noticed that someone else had posted that they
were getting this also..
Do you have any other ideas ?
Many thanks for your interest.
lyn

> .
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Lyn" <Lyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have followed advice of other postings, but cannot find any trace of
> > defrag to be able to re-install from control panel.... add/delete
> > programmes
> > . When I try to access defrag I get the message
> > Windows cannot open this file
> > File dfrg.msc
> > Then it asks what I want to use to open the file.
> > Would appreciate any help on this. Thanks

Hi

Using the CD to extract a fresh copy of the Defrag program shouldn't cause
that to happen, unless you have an underlying problem. Are you getting any
error messages at all? If not, have a look in the Event Viewer for any
possible pointers towards the problem.

--

Lyn wrote:

> "Will Denny" wrote:
>

>>Hi
>>
>>What happens if the type dfrg.msc from Start>Run? If the Defrag program
>>doesn't appear, you can extract a fresh copy from the XP CD. Put the XP CD
>>into the cd drive and type the following from Start>Run
>>
>>expand X:\i386\dfrg.ms_ %systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc
>

> where X is the cd drive letter
>
> Hi Will,
> Still no joy......When I typed dfrg.msc from Start>Run I had the same
> message that Windows cannot open this file ...msc
> When I put the cd in and typed the details you suggested in the Start>Run I
> had a flash of a smaller black screen. This was happening before also when
> trying to access defrag. I noticed that someone else had posted that they
> were getting this also..
> Do you have any other ideas ?
> Many thanks for your interest.
> lyn
>

>>.
>>
>>--
>>

>>Will Denny
>>MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>>"Lyn" <Lyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have followed advice of other postings, but cannot find any trace of
>>>defrag to be able to re-install from control panel.... add/delete
>>>programmes
>>>. When I try to access defrag I get the message
>>>Windows cannot open this file
>>>File dfrg.msc
>>>Then it asks what I want to use to open the file.
>>>Would appreciate any help on this. Thanks

dfrg.msc is is a Microsoft Common Console Document.
It runs inside Microsoft Management Console -
typically - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe

Maybe the actual problem is with mmc.exe?

--
Bob Dietz

terry

Pardon me for jumping in - I have the same problem but unfortunately I have
no idea where my XP CD is. Is it possible to extract Defrag from the CABs?

Terry

> Hi
>
> What happens if the type dfrg.msc from Start>Run? If the Defrag program
> doesn't appear, you can extract a fresh copy from the XP CD. Put the XP
CD
> into the cd drive and type the following from Start>Run
>
> expand X:\i386\dfrg.ms_ %systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc
>
> where X is the cd drive letter.
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Lyn" <Lyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have followed advice of other postings, but cannot find any trace of
> > defrag to be able to re-install from control panel.... add/delete
> > programmes
> > . When I try to access defrag I get the message
> > Windows cannot open this file
> > File dfrg.msc
> > Then it asks what I want to use to open the file.
> > Would appreciate any help on this. Thanks

terry

OOPs - I may have posted this in error - my problem is defrag locks up at
about 25%. Should I reinstall defrag?