Defrag has disappeared in XP

I have followed advice of other postings, but cannot find any trace of
defrag to be able to re-install from control panel.... add/delete programmes
.. When I try to access defrag I get the message
Windows cannot open this file
File dfrg.msc
Then it asks what I want to use to open the file.
Would appreciate any help on this. Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about defrag disappeared

    Hi

    What happens if the type dfrg.msc from Start>Run? If the Defrag program
    doesn't appear, you can extract a fresh copy from the XP CD. Put the XP CD
    into the cd drive and type the following from Start>Run

    expand X:\i386\dfrg.ms_ %systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc

    where X is the cd drive letter.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > What happens if the type dfrg.msc from Start>Run? If the Defrag program
    > doesn't appear, you can extract a fresh copy from the XP CD. Put the XP CD
    > into the cd drive and type the following from Start>Run
    >
    > expand X:\i386\dfrg.ms_ %systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc

    where X is the cd drive letter

    Hi Will,
    Still no joy......When I typed dfrg.msc from Start>Run I had the same
    message that Windows cannot open this file ...msc
    When I put the cd in and typed the details you suggested in the Start>Run I
    had a flash of a smaller black screen. This was happening before also when
    trying to access defrag. I noticed that someone else had posted that they
    were getting this also..
    Do you have any other ideas ?
    Many thanks for your interest.
    lyn

    > .
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Lyn" <Lyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have followed advice of other postings, but cannot find any trace of
    > > defrag to be able to re-install from control panel.... add/delete
    > > programmes
    > > . When I try to access defrag I get the message
    > > Windows cannot open this file
    > > File dfrg.msc
    > > Then it asks what I want to use to open the file.
    > > Would appreciate any help on this. Thanks

    Hi

    Using the CD to extract a fresh copy of the Defrag program shouldn't cause
    that to happen, unless you have an underlying problem. Are you getting any
    error messages at all? If not, have a look in the Event Viewer for any
    possible pointers towards the problem.

    --

    Lyn wrote:

    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >

    >>Hi
    >>
    >>What happens if the type dfrg.msc from Start>Run? If the Defrag program
    >>doesn't appear, you can extract a fresh copy from the XP CD. Put the XP CD
    >>into the cd drive and type the following from Start>Run
    >>
    >>expand X:\i386\dfrg.ms_ %systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc
    >

    > where X is the cd drive letter
    >
    > Hi Will,
    > Still no joy......When I typed dfrg.msc from Start>Run I had the same
    > message that Windows cannot open this file ...msc
    > When I put the cd in and typed the details you suggested in the Start>Run I
    > had a flash of a smaller black screen. This was happening before also when
    > trying to access defrag. I noticed that someone else had posted that they
    > were getting this also..
    > Do you have any other ideas ?
    > Many thanks for your interest.
    > lyn
    >

    >>.
    >>
    >>--
    >>

    >>Will Denny
    >>MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >>"Lyn" <Lyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I have followed advice of other postings, but cannot find any trace of
    >>>defrag to be able to re-install from control panel.... add/delete
    >>>programmes
    >>>. When I try to access defrag I get the message
    >>>Windows cannot open this file
    >>>File dfrg.msc
    >>>Then it asks what I want to use to open the file.
    >>>Would appreciate any help on this. Thanks

    dfrg.msc is is a Microsoft Common Console Document.
    It runs inside Microsoft Management Console -
    typically - C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe

    Maybe the actual problem is with mmc.exe?

    --
    Bob Dietz

    Pardon me for jumping in - I have the same problem but unfortunately I have
    no idea where my XP CD is. Is it possible to extract Defrag from the CABs?

    Terry

    > Hi
    >
    > What happens if the type dfrg.msc from Start>Run? If the Defrag program
    > doesn't appear, you can extract a fresh copy from the XP CD. Put the XP
    CD
    > into the cd drive and type the following from Start>Run
    >
    > expand X:\i386\dfrg.ms_ %systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc
    >
    > where X is the cd drive letter.
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Lyn" <Lyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have followed advice of other postings, but cannot find any trace of
    > > defrag to be able to re-install from control panel.... add/delete
    > > programmes
    > > . When I try to access defrag I get the message
    > > Windows cannot open this file
    > > File dfrg.msc
    > > Then it asks what I want to use to open the file.
    > > Would appreciate any help on this. Thanks

    OOPs - I may have posted this in error - my problem is defrag locks up at
    about 25%. Should I reinstall defrag?

    "Terry" <terry@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Pardon me for jumping in - I have the same problem but unfortunately I
    have
    > no idea where my XP CD is. Is it possible to extract Defrag from the
    CABs?

    > Terry

    > > Hi
    > >
    > > What happens if the type dfrg.msc from Start>Run? If the Defrag program
    > > doesn't appear, you can extract a fresh copy from the XP CD. Put the XP
    > CD
    > > into the cd drive and type the following from Start>Run
    > >
    > > expand X:\i386\dfrg.ms_ %systemroot%\system32\dfrg.msc
    > >
    > > where X is the cd drive letter.
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > > Will Denny
    > > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > > Please reply to the News Groups
    > >

    > > "Lyn" <Lyn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > >I have followed advice of other postings, but cannot find any trace of
    > > > defrag to be able to re-install from control panel.... add/delete
    > > > programmes
    > > > . When I try to access defrag I get the message
    > > > Windows cannot open this file
    > > > File dfrg.msc
    > > > Then it asks what I want to use to open the file.
    > > > Would appreciate any help on this. Thanks

Defragment Windows XP