Employee Discount ?

I switched to Verizon from Sprint in mid-November because a breakroom poster
advertised a 19% discount for Johnson Controls employees. The sales rep I
spoke with said yes, it was 19% so I went ahead and ordered Verizon service
and a phone. I was told it would take up to two bills before the discount
would kick in. Okay so far. Bill number 2 showed up on the Verizon site
(paperless billing) and no discount, or any sign of one. Off I go to email
Customer Care and they say that the discount is only 8% and in addition that
I would have to verify my employment status by filling out a form that would
be faxed to me (not emailed but faxed)-no home FAX. The Sales Rep said that
was done when the order was placed. Now I get a whole different story.

When I first emailed Verizon I gave them the Sales Rep's name (I only had a
first name), his number at Verizon and the extension, the Sales Rep number
off the order invoice. To me that is false advertising and I should be able
to 1) terminate the Verizon agreement without a penalty and 2) port my
number back to Sprint and resume service there. My only reason for going to
Verizon was a nice discount. I was not unhappy with Sprint but Verizon
seemed to have a better offer that now seems to be only smoke and mirrors.

--
"The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of
"loyalty" and "duty". Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute --

    I get a corporate discount as well. 15-23% depending on the plan. I
    have two lines (NOT a family plan) that I started about a year apart.
    Even thought the sales rep in the stored filled out the paperwork and
    supposedly submitted it, I didn't get a discount on either phone until
    I went back into the store or called CS in both cases. They did credit
    the money back, but it's almost like they never give it to you the
    first time you ask.

    In our particular case, the discount can decrease based on how many
    people take them up on it. That could be what happened it your case.
    The discount could have been decreased since the original amount was
    set. Usually there's a minimum that you can get, too.

    I think you're stuck, but the "he that makes the last call wins" applies.
    Push worry-free guarantee. Have anything in writing with the discount?

    Verizon has occasionally offered me a discount and each time it actually
    didn't apply. The result is 1 6 year old verizon line, and multiple ATTWS
    lines at 19% discount on what they call a sponsoring foundation account. I
    used to have terrible problems with cingular California. Back then cingular
    was cingular and cingular California was different. I had one issue that
    took 15 calls, and they knew I was willing to call 100 times. I was never
    rude, never raised my voice, and always asked the CS rep to document the
    call.

    I retract my stuck comment. Start calling. Upgrade to management, and ask
    each CS rep to document the call. Let us know how you do.

    "Jim Higgins" <gordian238@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I switched to Verizon from Sprint in mid-November because a breakroom
    >poster
    > advertised a 19% discount for Johnson Controls employees. The sales rep I
    > spoke with said yes, it was 19% so I went ahead and ordered Verizon
    > service

    "Jim Higgins" <gordian238@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I switched to Verizon from Sprint in mid-November because a breakroom
    >poster
    > advertised a 19% discount for Johnson Controls employees. The sales rep I
    > spoke with said yes, it was 19% so I went ahead and ordered Verizon
    > service
    > and a phone. I was told it would take up to two bills before the discount
    > would kick in. Okay so far. Bill number 2 showed up on the Verizon site
    > (paperless billing) and no discount, or any sign of one. Off I go to
    > email
    > Customer Care and they say that the discount is only 8% and in addition
    > that
    > I would have to verify my employment status by filling out a form that
    > would
    > be faxed to me (not emailed but faxed)-no home FAX. The Sales Rep said
    > that
    > was done when the order was placed. Now I get a whole different story.
    >
    > When I first emailed Verizon I gave them the Sales Rep's name (I only had
    > first name), his number at Verizon and the extension, the Sales Rep number
    > off the order invoice. To me that is false advertising and I should be
    > able
    > to 1) terminate the Verizon agreement without a penalty and 2) port my
    > number back to Sprint and resume service there. My only reason for going
    > Verizon was a nice discount. I was not unhappy with Sprint but Verizon
    > seemed to have a better offer that now seems to be only smoke and mirrors.
    >
    > --
    > "The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of
    > "loyalty" and "duty". Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute --
    > get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late
    > save that society. It is doomed."

    Verizon offers a discount on service to employees of the company I work for
    and all it took was a quick phone call to the number on our company's
    employee discount web page and it was done. The discount didn't affect the
    term of my contract, and they even honored my no-longer-offered calling
    plan. It was the easiest transaction I've ever experienced with Verizon.
    What a shock!

    "Alphageek" <no_email_please@uhdelfeeyuh.net> wrote in message

    > "Jim Higgins" <gordian238@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I switched to Verizon from Sprint in mid-November because a breakroom
    >>poster
    >> advertised a 19% discount for Johnson Controls employees. The sales rep
    >> spoke with said yes, it was 19% so I went ahead and ordered Verizon
    >> service
    >> and a phone. I was told it would take up to two bills before the
    >> discount
    >> would kick in. Okay so far. Bill number 2 showed up on the Verizon site
    >> (paperless billing) and no discount, or any sign of one. Off I go to
    >> email
    >> Customer Care and they say that the discount is only 8% and in addition
    >> that
    >> I would have to verify my employment status by filling out a form that
    >> would
    >> be faxed to me (not emailed but faxed)-no home FAX. The Sales Rep said
    >> that
    >> was done when the order was placed. Now I get a whole different story.
    >>
    >> When I first emailed Verizon I gave them the Sales Rep's name (I only had
    >> first name), his number at Verizon and the extension, the Sales Rep
    >> number
    >> off the order invoice. To me that is false advertising and I should be
    >> able
    >> to 1) terminate the Verizon agreement without a penalty and 2) port my
    >> number back to Sprint and resume service there. My only reason for going
    >> Verizon was a nice discount. I was not unhappy with Sprint but Verizon
    >> seemed to have a better offer that now seems to be only smoke and
    >> mirrors.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of
    >> "loyalty" and "duty". Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute --
    >> get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late
    >> save that society. It is doomed."
    >>

    > Verizon offers a discount on service to employees of the company I work
    > for and all it took was a quick phone call to the number on our company's
    > employee discount web page and it was done. The discount didn't affect the
    > term of my contract, and they even honored my no-longer-offered calling
    > plan. It was the easiest transaction I've ever experienced with Verizon.
    > What a shock!

    After the email exchange I tried calling Customer Service and talked with a
    real human being. The lady I spoke with was *most* helpful and the problem
    is well on its way to getting sorted out. I was pleasantly surprised by the
    helpfullness of a live human instead of trying to talk via email. More on
    this later.

    Jim,

    In my years (10+) as a BellAtlantic/Verizon customer, I've learned a couple
    of immutable truths. One of them is that Verizon has so many different
    departments and call centers, and they don't seem to talk to each other,
    that your only hope when having a problem like yours is to keep calling and
    demanding (politely) until you find someone who is either knowledgeable or
    willing to go the extra mile to straighten your problem out.

    THEN----(the important part)-----get his/her extension number, or I can
    pretty much guarantee you'll never speak with him/her again.

    Those here who have had the persistence to "socially engineer" their own
    "Personal" service rep will tell you there is nothing like having a familiar
    rep.

    Dean

> [...]
    > >> save that society. It is doomed."
    > >>

    > > Verizon offers a discount on service to employees of the company I work
    > > for and all it took was a quick phone call to the number on our
    company's
    > > employee discount web page and it was done. The discount didn't affect
    the
    > > term of my contract, and they even honored my no-longer-offered calling
    > > plan. It was the easiest transaction I've ever experienced with Verizon.
    > > What a shock!
    > >

    > After the email exchange I tried calling Customer Service and talked with
    > real human being. The lady I spoke with was *most* helpful and the
    problem
    > is well on its way to getting sorted out. I was pleasantly surprised by
    the
    > helpfullness of a live human instead of trying to talk via email. More on

    Welcome to Verizon's incompetent customer service and support. It took me
    well over 60 days to get my employee discount right on my bill. I even asked
    for retro that was "suppose" to be deducted from my bill and they thought I
    was crazy for even thinking that. Just think if it was a real service issue
    or problem? Good luck with this company.

    Alphageek wrote:
    > Verizon offers a discount on service to employees of the company I
    > work for and all it took was a quick phone call to the number on our
    > company's employee discount web page and it was done. The discount
    > didn't affect the term of my contract, and they even honored my
    > no-longer-offered calling plan. It was the easiest transaction I've
    > ever experienced with Verizon. What a shock!

    It's probably because you followed instructions -:).
    The people who handle corporate accounts (and discounts) within
    VZW are very separate from the people handling individual
    customers. If you want to do anything other than adding or
    removing transient features like txt msging you should only
    go through your corporate VZW representative. This from
    my corporate rep who said that regular CS would probably
    be happy to do whatever I requested but there was a high
    probability that he would have to spend time and effort to
    straighten it out later.

    -Quick

    "Jim Higgins" <gordian238@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I switched to Verizon from Sprint in mid-November because a breakroom
    >poster
    > advertised a 19% discount for Johnson Controls employees. The sales rep I
    > spoke with said yes, it was 19% so I went ahead and ordered Verizon
    > service
    > and a phone. I was told it would take up to two bills before the discount
    > would kick in. Okay so far. Bill number 2 showed up on the Verizon site
    > (paperless billing) and no discount, or any sign of one. Off I go to
    > email
    > Customer Care and they say that the discount is only 8% and in addition
    > that
    > I would have to verify my employment status by filling out a form that
    > would
    > be faxed to me (not emailed but faxed)-no home FAX. The Sales Rep said
    > that
    > was done when the order was placed. Now I get a whole different story.
    >
    > When I first emailed Verizon I gave them the Sales Rep's name (I only had
    > first name), his number at Verizon and the extension, the Sales Rep number
    > off the order invoice. To me that is false advertising and I should be
    > able
    > to 1) terminate the Verizon agreement without a penalty and 2) port my
    > number back to Sprint and resume service there. My only reason for going
    > Verizon was a nice discount. I was not unhappy with Sprint but Verizon
    > seemed to have a better offer that now seems to be only smoke and mirrors.
    >
    > --
    > "The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of
    > "loyalty" and "duty". Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute --
    > get out of there fast! You may possibly save yourself, but it is too late
    > save that society. It is doomed."

    Just a follow-up on this. After talking with a real person in Customer
    Service, and some email info exchange with her, the problem has been sorted
    out and corrected. I was pleased with the courtesy and effort that the
    Customer Service person put in getting the problem corrected.

    On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 20:20:43 -0500, "Jim Higgins" <gordian238@hotmail.com>
    chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
    everything:

    >I switched to Verizon from Sprint in mid-November because a breakroom poster
    >advertised a 19% discount for Johnson Controls employees. The sales rep I
    >spoke with said yes, it was 19% so I went ahead and ordered Verizon service
    >and a phone. I was told it would take up to two bills before the discount
    >would kick in. Okay so far. Bill number 2 showed up on the Verizon site
    >(paperless billing) and no discount, or any sign of one. Off I go to email
    >Customer Care and they say that the discount is only 8% and in addition that
    >I would have to verify my employment status by filling out a form that would
    >be faxed to me (not emailed but faxed)-no home FAX. The Sales Rep said that
    >was done when the order was placed. Now I get a whole different story.
    >
    >When I first emailed Verizon I gave them the Sales Rep's name (I only had a
    >first name), his number at Verizon and the extension, the Sales Rep number
    >off the order invoice. To me that is false advertising and I should be able
    >to 1) terminate the Verizon agreement without a penalty and 2) port my
    >number back to Sprint and resume service there. My only reason for going to
    >Verizon was a nice discount. I was not unhappy with Sprint but Verizon
    >seemed to have a better offer that now seems to be only smoke and mirrors.

    A year ago, one month after getting a new phone and switching to AC-300, I
    found out I was eligible for a discount -- but only on a plan of at least
    $39.99/mo. I went back to the store where I got the phone and a very nice
    lady looked at my proof of qualifying employment and switched me to AC-400
    with the discount, effective the next day. No problem at all, and I now get
    more minutes (which I don't use anyway) for less money..

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "In the future, if you're wondering, 'Crime... boy, I don't know' is when I
    decided to kick your ass." - President Bartlet to Governor Richie

Verizon Internet Service Providers