terry

I decided to remove a program - Britannica 2002 - but did not find it in the
Add/Remove Programs list. So I decided to do it the old fashion way -
delete the directory. Couldn't do that due to errors. So I deleted the
files one at a time (actually groups).

I'm down to a small number of files and I'm getting "Cannot delete XXXX:
Data error (cyclic redundancy check)." How can I delete these last few
files?

Must I reinstall the software in hopes that it can be deleted normally?

Terry

That's not the "old fashioned way" -- it's the wrong way. And it's not even
the old fashioned way, unless your notion of old fashioned goes back to DOS.

Your first step is to look in the Start menu listing to see if there is a
shortcut for the uninstaller. If none, the next thing to do is to reinstall
the program. The last step is to contact Britannica technical support.

Ted Zieglar

"Terry" <terry@aol.com> wrote in message
>I decided to remove a program - Britannica 2002 - but did not find it in
>the
> Add/Remove Programs list. So I decided to do it the old fashion way -
> delete the directory. Couldn't do that due to errors. So I deleted the
> files one at a time (actually groups).
>
> I'm down to a small number of files and I'm getting "Cannot delete XXXX:
> Data error (cyclic redundancy check)." How can I delete these last few
> files?
>
> Must I reinstall the software in hopes that it can be deleted normally?
>
> Terry

Well, Ted, maybe Terry is "old". I would concur with Ted. Try
installing and then uninstalling using the program that Britannica
should provide.

But the error you speak of is not related to the program, but to the
file system. It appears that you may have some temporary buffer files
used by Britannica that have been corrupted. Just let them be. It may
be possible that the next CHKDSK or Error Check you conduct on the drive
may remove the files.

The fun part about manually removing a program is going into the
registry and removing all the registry entries of the program,
especially the Class IDs. While leaving some of these registry entries
behind may be OK, it will add to the bulk of the registry.

Ted Zieglar wrote:

> That's not the "old fashioned way" -- it's the wrong way. And it's not
> even the old fashioned way, unless your notion of old fashioned goes
> back to DOS.
>
> Your first step is to look in the Start menu listing to see if there is
> a shortcut for the uninstaller. If none, the next thing to do is to
> reinstall the program. The last step is to contact Britannica technical
> support.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "Terry" <terry@aol.com> wrote in message
>
>> I decided to remove a program - Britannica 2002 - but did not find it
>> in the
>> Add/Remove Programs list. So I decided to do it the old fashion way -
>> delete the directory. Couldn't do that due to errors. So I deleted the
>> files one at a time (actually groups).
>>
>> I'm down to a small number of files and I'm getting "Cannot delete XXXX:
>> Data error (cyclic redundancy check)." How can I delete these last few
>> files?
>>
>> Must I reinstall the software in hopes that it can be deleted normally?
>>
>> Terry

terry

Thanks for the help - I did reinstall the s/w and it now appears in
Control's Add/Delete list. It totals almost a Gig and I wanted to move it
to my new 120 Gb HDD.

And yes I am "old" and do go back to the DOS days when programs and data fit
on a single sided single density 5 1/4 floppy that I was happy to buy for
$1.00. Also did some programming in BASIC, assembly, Fortran, and other
unused languages. Now programmers have it easy - need to rewind a tape
(oops, do we still use them?) and rather than having to write 10 lines of
code they can add a 3-4 Mb DLL to their software package and be done with
it. The user won't mind getting another couple of Gb of RAM and a new HDD.
Shoot - Britannica is bigger than my first two HDDs together.

Terry

"Eric Niewoehner" <eric.niewoehner@uas.alaska.edu> wrote in message
> Well, Ted, maybe Terry is "old". I would concur with Ted. Try
> installing and then uninstalling using the program that Britannica
> should provide.
>
> But the error you speak of is not related to the program, but to the
> file system. It appears that you may have some temporary buffer files
> used by Britannica that have been corrupted. Just let them be. It may
> be possible that the next CHKDSK or Error Check you conduct on the drive
> may remove the files.
>
> The fun part about manually removing a program is going into the
> registry and removing all the registry entries of the program,
> especially the Class IDs. While leaving some of these registry entries
> behind may be OK, it will add to the bulk of the registry.
>
> Ted Zieglar wrote:
>
> > That's not the "old fashioned way" -- it's the wrong way. And it's not
> > even the old fashioned way, unless your notion of old fashioned goes
> > back to DOS.
> >
> > Your first step is to look in the Start menu listing to see if there is
> > a shortcut for the uninstaller. If none, the next thing to do is to
> > reinstall the program. The last step is to contact Britannica technical
> > support.
> >
> > Ted Zieglar
> >
> > "Terry" <terry@aol.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> I decided to remove a program - Britannica 2002 - but did not find it
> >> in the
> >> Add/Remove Programs list. So I decided to do it the old fashion way -
> >> delete the directory. Couldn't do that due to errors. So I deleted
the
> >> files one at a time (actually groups).
> >>
> >> I'm down to a small number of files and I'm getting "Cannot delete
XXXX:
> >> Data error (cyclic redundancy check)." How can I delete these last few
> >> files?
> >>
> >> Must I reinstall the software in hopes that it can be deleted normally?
> >>
> >> Terry

You're one of the pioneers. My hat goes off to you.