Need more DRAM memory

Hello,
This is probably an elementary question to you guys but I
do not know where to start. I own a Dell Dimension 8100,
Pentium 4, 1.5GHz and 256MB PC800 RDRAM. I want to
increase my RAM memory as much as I can. How do I know
what chips to buy? Can I order them on line? Do I have to
do anything special to add the new chips? How much more
RAM memory can I add?
Thank you for your help.
Carlos
5 answers Last reply
More about need dram memory

    Visit http://www.crucial.com/

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Carlos" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > This is probably an elementary question to you guys but I
    > do not know where to start. I own a Dell Dimension 8100,
    > Pentium 4, 1.5GHz and 256MB PC800 RDRAM. I want to
    > increase my RAM memory as much as I can. How do I know
    > what chips to buy? Can I order them on line? Do I have to
    > do anything special to add the new chips? How much more
    > RAM memory can I add?
    > Thank you for your help.
    > Carlos

    Your computer uses RAMBUS memory (RDRAM) so be prepared for a bit of a shock
    on the price. 512MB runs in the neighborhood of $200.00 (USD) and is not as
    widely available as the more popular types.

    Crucial doesn't sell RAMBUS memory for instance and you may have trouble
    finding it at your local computer store.

    Other things to consider, RAMBUS memory must be installed in matched pairs
    and all memory slots must be populated by either RAM sticks or continuity
    modules. When you open your system you're likely to find two sticks of 128MB
    RDRAM and two continuity modules. (blank sticks with no chips on them) To
    add to what you already have you'll need to remove the two continuity
    modules and in their place install a matched pair of RDRAM sticks.

    You can find what you need @
    http://www.4allmemory.com/search/dell/dimension.cfm?q=Dell+Dimension+8100

    You can probably find them cheaper elsewhere but I would stick with a
    reputable dealer such as the one above that guarantees their memory to be
    compatible.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Thank you for your help. I can not find my PC manual and
    that is the reason I asked the question.
    Carlos

    any suggestions or

    | Thank you for your help. I can not find my PC manual and
    | that is the reason I asked the question.
    | Carlos

    Your User Guide is available online here;
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dsleest/

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    These answers are all in your manual.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Carlos" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0db201c4f1b0$59a76fe0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    > Hello,
    > This is probably an elementary question to you guys but I
    > do not know where to start. I own a Dell Dimension 8100,
    > Pentium 4, 1.5GHz and 256MB PC800 RDRAM. I want to
    > increase my RAM memory as much as I can. How do I know
    > what chips to buy? Can I order them on line? Do I have to
    > do anything special to add the new chips? How much more
    > RAM memory can I add?
    > Thank you for your help.
    > Carlos

DRAM Memory Windows XP