have asus txp4 w/ amdk6-233 suggestions 4 upgrades

G

i have an ancient asus board (txp4) cpu is AMD K6-233 w/mmx and 64Mb (168 pin dimm) memory, i have no clue if its SDRAM or EDO though.

i would like to upgrade to a new board (and chip obviously) but i don't want to have to get everything else upgraded just to use the new board, either...

ati all-in-wonder 128
phillips dvd (with hardware decoder card)
scsi card, and cd
phillips cd burner
ethernet card for dsl connection
right now i have a SB vibra16 soundcard that is also on my list to upgrade, but i've pretty much decided on an SB live card, but i can really care less about the programs that come with them (mp3,gamers) don't they sell "just" the card itself?!?!
oh yeah an isa modem, too. but that will get changed also to a pci based one

anyways... i'm a straight-out-of-the-box kinda guy that isn't into overclocking and all that... i mostly surf the net, play around with a CAD-based cartography program (CC2) and play games like CIV and Command&Conquer, what prompted this spurt of upgrades is that i can't get civ3 to play at all, after actually READING the minimum req's for it i'm pretty certain that it was my sound card and/or cpu that was killing it, but i figured it was about time for a mobo upgrade as well...

so, any suggestions?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd go cheap and throw a new CPU, a K6-2 500 will work using the 2x setting (converted to 6x internally by the CPU) and the 83MHz bus speed setting to get 6x83.3=500.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

thanks for the suggestion, but i think you misunderstood what i was asking. i want to get rid of the txp4 mobo for a new board that is up to current tech specs, but as i haven't been in the market for one till just now, i'm totally lost with all the advertising hype over which one is "better for me", heck all i really want to do is surf the net and play civ3, and watch my tv/dvd's...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
An ECS K7S5A, AMD Athlon XP 1600+, and a Crucial 512MB PC2100 stick should do, along with a ~400 watt Enermax power supply. These parts represent your best value in a state-of-the-art system.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?