Need HELP - Can Not Get QR discs to Work

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows98 (More info?)

A week or so ago my Presario Model 7478's hard drive began to fail. I had
gotten a message that the disc detected that failure was imminent, and I
bought a new hard drive. The new drive is a Seagate 80gb drive, whereas the
factory installed drive was a 30gb Maxtor.

I had checked on this group and was told that the Quick Restore CDs that
came with the computer could be used to set everything back up. That does
not seem to be true. The QR discs give me an error as the look for Drive "N"
and the set up aborts. From what I can see the Autoexec file on the CD sets
a path of "N:\CPQS\QR". It then tries to read files out of that directory,
but since the new drive has none of that on it - I am stuck.

I put the old drive back in and made the new drive the second disc drive.
That is the only way I could ask for help here. I called Compaq Support and
after a series of misunderstandings was told that I needed to purchase the
hard drive from Compaq and they would send the QR discs made for the larger
drive. I don't have Windows 98 on a separate CD and sure don't have the
other software on the QR discs.

My first problem was that the QR would not load and format the drive, like I
hoped it would, so I used FDISK and FORMAT to do that.

I am thinking that MAYBE the QR discs are looking for the same size of C and
D drives (24.5 GB C drive and a 3.36 GB drive D), the QR discs will work. I
could put the rest of the new drive into a drive E. But that is only my
theory and so far I have not been right too often about this. LOL

I would appreciate any help with getting the QR discs to work on a new drive
that is larger than the factory installed drive.

Thanks!

Steve

Steve wrote:

> I had checked on this group and was told that the Quick Restore CDs
> that came with the computer could be used to set everything back
> up. That does not seem to be true. The QR discs give me an error as
> the look for Drive "N" and the set up aborts. From what I can see
> the Autoexec file on the CD sets a path of "N:\CPQS\QR". It then
> tries to read files out of that directory, but since the new drive
> has none of that on it - I am stuck.

I would guess that it is making a RAM drive and copying the stuff to it as Windows does. How full is your C: drive?
_______________________

> I put the old drive back in and made the new drive the second disc
> drive. That is the only way I could ask for help here. I called
> Compaq Support and after a series of misunderstandings was told
> that I needed to purchase the hard drive from Compaq and they would
> send the QR discs made for the larger drive.

They lie between their teeth.
______________________

> I am thinking that MAYBE the QR discs are looking for the same size
> of C and D drives (24.5 GB C drive and a 3.36 GB drive D), the QR
> discs will work. I could put the rest of the new drive into a drive
> E. But that is only my theory and so far I have not been right too
> often about this. LOL

My father in law has a Compaq (may their tribe decrease - both FIL and Compaq) and he went from a 10 MB HD to a 40 MB no problem.

Perhaps I shouldn't say "no problem" because I fiddled with it and quit in frustration. The frustration was the D:/ drive that it wants and I got tired messing with something that should have been straight forward but wasn't thanks to Compaq. He had the store where he bought it install it.

Can you...
1. Make your new drive your #2
2. Fdisk & format it being sure to make it bootable
3. Copy C: to it. Doesn't need "cloning", just plain old copy.
4. Make new disk primary (C:)
5. Use the QR disc on it

The kicker is the D: drive that Compaq insists on having. I would assume you have to make a partition on the new drive equivalent to it and copy D: to that partition (as well as C: to the new primary partition). It is also possible that D: *does* need to be cloned rather than copied but I kinda doubt it.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows98 (More info?)

"Steve" <sabyers@bellsouth.net> wrote in

> A week or so ago my Presario Model 7478's hard drive began to fail. I
> had gotten a message that the disc detected that failure was imminent,
> and I bought a new hard drive. The new drive is a Seagate 80gb drive,
> whereas the factory installed drive was a 30gb Maxtor.
>
> I had checked on this group and was told that the Quick Restore CDs
> that came with the computer could be used to set everything back up.
> That does not seem to be true. The QR discs give me an error as the
> look for Drive "N" and the set up aborts. From what I can see the
> Autoexec file on the CD sets a path of "N:\CPQS\QR". It then tries to
> read files out of that directory, but since the new drive has none of
> that on it - I am stuck.
>
> I put the old drive back in and made the new drive the second disc
> drive. That is the only way I could ask for help here. I called Compaq
> Support and after a series of misunderstandings was told that I needed
> to purchase the hard drive from Compaq and they would send the QR
> discs made for the larger drive. I don't have Windows 98 on a separate
> CD and sure don't have the other software on the QR discs.
>
> My first problem was that the QR would not load and format the drive,
> like I hoped it would, so I used FDISK and FORMAT to do that.
>
> I am thinking that MAYBE the QR discs are looking for the same size of
> C and D drives (24.5 GB C drive and a 3.36 GB drive D), the QR discs
> will work. I could put the rest of the new drive into a drive E. But
> that is only my theory and so far I have not been right too often
> about this. LOL
>
> I would appreciate any help with getting the QR discs to work on a new
> drive that is larger than the factory installed drive.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve

I understand that your old disk still boots? So you've not lost anything
important, yet.

You could use knoppix to copy the contents from your old harddisk to the
new one. Knoppix can be downloaded from http://www.knoppix.com. It's a
bootable CD which boot a linux distribution which runs totally from CD.
It doesn't store anything to harddisk, assuming you have enough memory,
else it has to create a swapfile on your harddisk.

It a huge download, and you'll need a burner, but it is often found as a
cover CD at a computer magazine. Try your local magazine store.

You can partition and format your new drive with a bootdisk you can
download at http://www.bootdisk.com, assuming you have a floppydrive.
If you haven't, knoppix can do it too. Try fsdisk and mkfs --help from a
console/terminal.

Isaac

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows98 (More info?)

Thanks for the info, I sure did not know about Knoppix! I got the new drive
formatted (well as far as I went - I partitioned it but only took time to
format the C: Drive, when I tried the QR disks again.

I am wondering about the impact of copying data over to the new drive -
since I know that some programs have been corrupted - won't I be copying bad
data over?

I will download that program and try to burn it onto a CD. But do you know
if QR would work if I made the C: drive the same size as before? I guess I
am wondering what QR checks to see if it is OK to load - what if I recreate
the existing C and D drives on the new drive and put the rest of the space
into a new logical drive?

Again, all help is appreciated!

Steve

On Sat, 01 May 2004 13:11:48 +0200, Ingeborg <-> wrote:

>"Steve" <sabyers@bellsouth.net> wrote in
>
>> A week or so ago my Presario Model 7478's hard drive began to fail. I
>> had gotten a message that the disc detected that failure was imminent,
>> and I bought a new hard drive. The new drive is a Seagate 80gb drive,
>> whereas the factory installed drive was a 30gb Maxtor.
>>
>> I had checked on this group and was told that the Quick Restore CDs
>> that came with the computer could be used to set everything back up.
>> That does not seem to be true. The QR discs give me an error as the
>> look for Drive "N" and the set up aborts. From what I can see the
>> Autoexec file on the CD sets a path of "N:\CPQS\QR". It then tries to
>> read files out of that directory, but since the new drive has none of
>> that on it - I am stuck.
>>
>> I put the old drive back in and made the new drive the second disc
>> drive. That is the only way I could ask for help here. I called Compaq
>> Support and after a series of misunderstandings was told that I needed
>> to purchase the hard drive from Compaq and they would send the QR
>> discs made for the larger drive. I don't have Windows 98 on a separate
>> CD and sure don't have the other software on the QR discs.
>>
>> My first problem was that the QR would not load and format the drive,
>> like I hoped it would, so I used FDISK and FORMAT to do that.
>>
>> I am thinking that MAYBE the QR discs are looking for the same size of
>> C and D drives (24.5 GB C drive and a 3.36 GB drive D), the QR discs
>> will work. I could put the rest of the new drive into a drive E. But
>> that is only my theory and so far I have not been right too often
>> about this. LOL
>>
>> I would appreciate any help with getting the QR discs to work on a new
>> drive that is larger than the factory installed drive.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Steve
>>

>I understand that your old disk still boots? So you've not lost anything
>important, yet.
>
>You could use knoppix to copy the contents from your old harddisk to the
>new one. Knoppix can be downloaded from http://www.knoppix.com. It's a
>bootable CD which boot a linux distribution which runs totally from CD.
>It doesn't store anything to harddisk, assuming you have enough memory,
>else it has to create a swapfile on your harddisk.
>
>It a huge download, and you'll need a burner, but it is often found as a
>cover CD at a computer magazine. Try your local magazine store.
>
>You can partition and format your new drive with a bootdisk you can
>download at http://www.bootdisk.com, assuming you have a floppydrive.
>If you haven't, knoppix can do it too. Try fsdisk and mkfs --help from a
>console/terminal.
>
>Isaac

Or try xxcopy from www.xxcopy.com to copy all files. Much smaller
download and has worked for many on this board. The problem with the
CD's is unlikely to be disk size. It is more likely looking for
certain files installed (& hidden) by Compaq.

On Sat, 1 May 2004 12:13:42 -0400, "dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote:

>Steve wrote:
>
>> I had checked on this group and was told that the Quick Restore CDs
>> that came with the computer could be used to set everything back
>> up. That does not seem to be true. The QR discs give me an error as
>> the look for Drive "N" and the set up aborts. From what I can see
>> the Autoexec file on the CD sets a path of "N:\CPQS\QR". It then
>> tries to read files out of that directory, but since the new drive
>> has none of that on it - I am stuck.
>
>I would guess that it is making a RAM drive and copying the stuff to it as Windows does. How full is your C: drive?
>_______________________
>
>> I put the old drive back in and made the new drive the second disc
>> drive. That is the only way I could ask for help here. I called
>> Compaq Support and after a series of misunderstandings was told
>> that I needed to purchase the hard drive from Compaq and they would
>> send the QR discs made for the larger drive.
>
>They lie between their teeth.
>______________________
>
>> I am thinking that MAYBE the QR discs are looking for the same size
>> of C and D drives (24.5 GB C drive and a 3.36 GB drive D), the QR
>> discs will work. I could put the rest of the new drive into a drive
>> E. But that is only my theory and so far I have not been right too
>> often about this. LOL
>
>My father in law has a Compaq (may their tribe decrease - both FIL and Compaq) and he went from a 10 MB HD to a 40 MB no problem.
>
>Perhaps I shouldn't say "no problem" because I fiddled with it and quit in frustration. The frustration was the D:/ drive that it wants and I got tired messing with something that should have been straight forward but wasn't thanks to Compaq. He had the store where he bought it install it.
>
>Can you...
>1. Make your new drive your #2
>2. Fdisk & format it being sure to make it bootable
>3. Copy C: to it. Doesn't need "cloning", just plain old copy.
>4. Make new disk primary (C:)
>5. Use the QR disc on it
>
>The kicker is the D: drive that Compaq insists on having. I would assume you have to make a partition on the new drive equivalent to it and copy D: to that partition (as well as C: to the new primary partition). It is also possible that D: *does* need to be cloned rather than copied but I kinda doubt it.
That D: drive may be where Compaq stores certain files specific for
their PC's

> Thanks for the info, I sure did not know about Knoppix! I got the new
> drive formatted (well as far as I went - I partitioned it but only
> took time to format the C: Drive, when I tried the QR disks again.
>
> I am wondering about the impact of copying data over to the new drive
> - since I know that some programs have been corrupted - won't I be
> copying bad data over?

Yes you will. This will only copy the data from old disk to new. It's up
to you to decide if you can live with it. But you don't need the QR disk.

> I will download that program and try to burn it onto a CD. But do you
> know if QR would work if I made the C: drive the same size as before?

No, I don't know. It is possible that it's impossible to create a partition
with exact the same size. A partition always contains a whole number of
cylinders. The cylindersize is #sectors*#heads*512. This is probable
different on your old disk.

> I guess I am wondering what QR checks to see if it is OK to load -

You wrote that it needed a file in N:\. Is it possible that it needs a
networkdrive? Can you post the contents of config.sys and autoexec.bat from
the QR cd?

Isaac

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows98 (More info?)

are you using the restore cd set, or the recovery cd,the recovery cd needs
the files on the D partition.Also, make sure you haven't any usb devices
attached, you can add those after the restore.

"Steve" <sabyers@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> A week or so ago my Presario Model 7478's hard drive began to fail. I had
> gotten a message that the disc detected that failure was imminent, and I
> bought a new hard drive. The new drive is a Seagate 80gb drive, whereas
the
> factory installed drive was a 30gb Maxtor.
>
> I had checked on this group and was told that the Quick Restore CDs that
> came with the computer could be used to set everything back up. That does
> not seem to be true. The QR discs give me an error as the look for Drive
"N"
> and the set up aborts. From what I can see the Autoexec file on the CD
sets
> a path of "N:\CPQS\QR". It then tries to read files out of that directory,
> but since the new drive has none of that on it - I am stuck.
>
> I put the old drive back in and made the new drive the second disc drive.
> That is the only way I could ask for help here. I called Compaq Support
and
> after a series of misunderstandings was told that I needed to purchase the
> hard drive from Compaq and they would send the QR discs made for the
larger
> drive. I don't have Windows 98 on a separate CD and sure don't have the
> other software on the QR discs.
>
> My first problem was that the QR would not load and format the drive, like
> hoped it would, so I used FDISK and FORMAT to do that.
>
> I am thinking that MAYBE the QR discs are looking for the same size of C
and
> D drives (24.5 GB C drive and a 3.36 GB drive D), the QR discs will work.
> could put the rest of the new drive into a drive E. But that is only my
> theory and so far I have not been right too often about this. LOL
>
> I would appreciate any help with getting the QR discs to work on a new
drive
> that is larger than the factory installed drive.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve

David

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows98 (More info?)

The Quick Restore shouldn't have a problem with your new HD. Remove the old
drive and be sure the new HD is jumpered for cable select and you use the
connector on the end of the IDE ribbon cable. You're booting the computer
with the QR CD right? You don't need to prep the new drive at all. The QR
will wipe out anything that's on it.

"Steve" <sabyers@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> A week or so ago my Presario Model 7478's hard drive began to fail. I had
> gotten a message that the disc detected that failure was imminent, and I
> bought a new hard drive. The new drive is a Seagate 80gb drive, whereas
the
> factory installed drive was a 30gb Maxtor.
>
> I had checked on this group and was told that the Quick Restore CDs that
> came with the computer could be used to set everything back up. That does
> not seem to be true. The QR discs give me an error as the look for Drive
"N"
> and the set up aborts. From what I can see the Autoexec file on the CD
sets
> a path of "N:\CPQS\QR". It then tries to read files out of that directory,
> but since the new drive has none of that on it - I am stuck.
>
> I put the old drive back in and made the new drive the second disc drive.
> That is the only way I could ask for help here. I called Compaq Support
and
> after a series of misunderstandings was told that I needed to purchase the
> hard drive from Compaq and they would send the QR discs made for the
larger
> drive. I don't have Windows 98 on a separate CD and sure don't have the
> other software on the QR discs.
>
> My first problem was that the QR would not load and format the drive, like
> hoped it would, so I used FDISK and FORMAT to do that.
>
> I am thinking that MAYBE the QR discs are looking for the same size of C
and
> D drives (24.5 GB C drive and a 3.36 GB drive D), the QR discs will work.
> could put the rest of the new drive into a drive E. But that is only my
> theory and so far I have not been right too often about this. LOL
>
> I would appreciate any help with getting the QR discs to work on a new
drive
> that is larger than the factory installed drive.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Steve

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows98 (More info?)

Thanks for all the great info! WOW - a real wealth of knowledge here!

Here is what has happened since I sent the message you replied to: I managed
to get the Seagate Disk Wizard diskette version. ( Some files that are
needed for downloading quit working Friday. I guess the disk corruption got
worse. But I could not download files - a friend downloaded it and sent the
download to me over Yahoo file transfer.) The Wizard is slick! I set up the
new drive (which was still installed as a second drive) to be sized like
drive C and D on the factory drive; and put the rest of the new disk space
into another logical drive. But then the program started copying all the
files from the old drive to the new drive. I did not expect that.
(Instructions? Who needs to read instructions? LOL) I let that carry on
while I went to work. Everything was replicated on the new drive - both good
and corrupt files. So I now have the new disk as Disk 0 and the same file
problems. After I send this I will try to run QR again. All I have to lose
is time. I guess if that does not work I will have to bite the bullet and
reload Windows from a Windows CD and take the loss of the few programs that
came on the Compaq that I actually used still.

Thanks to all!

Steve

"dadiOH" <dadiOH@x-mail.net> wrote in message
Steve wrote:

> I had checked on this group and was told that the Quick Restore CDs
> that came with the computer could be used to set everything back
> up. That does not seem to be true. The QR discs give me an error as
> the look for Drive "N" and the set up aborts. From what I can see
> the Autoexec file on the CD sets a path of "N:\CPQS\QR". It then
> tries to read files out of that directory, but since the new drive
> has none of that on it - I am stuck.

I would guess that it is making a RAM drive and copying the stuff to it as
Windows does. How full is your C: drive?
_______________________

> I put the old drive back in and made the new drive the second disc
> drive. That is the only way I could ask for help here. I called
> Compaq Support and after a series of misunderstandings was told
> that I needed to purchase the hard drive from Compaq and they would
> send the QR discs made for the larger drive.

They lie between their teeth.
______________________

> I am thinking that MAYBE the QR discs are looking for the same size
> of C and D drives (24.5 GB C drive and a 3.36 GB drive D), the QR
> discs will work. I could put the rest of the new drive into a drive
> E. But that is only my theory and so far I have not been right too
> often about this. LOL

My father in law has a Compaq (may their tribe decrease - both FIL and
Compaq) and he went from a 10 MB HD to a 40 MB no problem.

Perhaps I shouldn't say "no problem" because I fiddled with it and quit in
frustration. The frustration was the D:/ drive that it wants and I got
tired messing with something that should have been straight forward but
wasn't thanks to Compaq. He had the store where he bought it install it.

Can you...
1. Make your new drive your #2
2. Fdisk & format it being sure to make it bootable
3. Copy C: to it. Doesn't need "cloning", just plain old copy.
4. Make new disk primary (C:)
5. Use the QR disc on it

The kicker is the D: drive that Compaq insists on having. I would assume
you have to make a partition on the new drive equivalent to it and copy D:
to that partition (as well as C: to the new primary partition). It is also
possible that D: *does* need to be cloned rather than copied but I kinda
doubt it.

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

hi,
you could try running scandisk on your original drive . run the qr
disks and then copy to your new drive with the discwizard .
hope this helps,
terry

==============

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,alt.windows98 (More info?)

Thanks for the reply, but the case grows stranger yet. I was doing
what you suggested, but had the old drive also installed - using the
cable connector as "Drive 1". So, the new drive was connected as
"Drive 0" and the old drive was connected as "Drive 1". When I reboot,
the computer displays a new configuration message and ignores the new
drive - all it "sees" is the old drive. I also got a "Disk Controller
Failure" message on the old drive. After that, all that can be read on
the drive is the DOS level entries - and only part of that
information. It is reading what was formerly on "Drive C" but none of
"Drive D" (the Compaq "Restore" logical drive).

When I disconnect the cable to the old drive, all is ok with the new
drive. I had put the old drive into the bay where I had an internal
Zip Drive. When I tried putting the Zip Drive back in (connected as
Drive 1) the system tried to boot from that! Is something connected
wrong? Did I not put the cables back on to the mother board as they
should be? With the only drive being the new drive, and connected to
the cable connector as "Drive 0" all is ok.

What am I missing??

Thanks for everyone's help!

Steve

"David" <tonka@flashmail.com> wrote in message news:<Ha3lc.2848$V97.69@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> The Quick Restore shouldn't have a problem with your new HD. Remove the old
> drive and be sure the new HD is jumpered for cable select and you use the
> connector on the end of the IDE ribbon cable. You're booting the computer
> with the QR CD right? You don't need to prep the new drive at all. The QR
> will wipe out anything that's on it.
>
> "Steve" <sabyers@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > A week or so ago my Presario Model 7478's hard drive began to fail. I had
> > gotten a message that the disc detected that failure was imminent, and I
> > bought a new hard drive. The new drive is a Seagate 80gb drive, whereas
> the
> > factory installed drive was a 30gb Maxtor.
> >
> > I had checked on this group and was told that the Quick Restore CDs that
> > came with the computer could be used to set everything back up. That does
> > not seem to be true. The QR discs give me an error as the look for Drive
> "N"
> > and the set up aborts. From what I can see the Autoexec file on the CD
> sets
> > a path of "N:\CPQS\QR". It then tries to read files out of that directory,
> > but since the new drive has none of that on it - I am stuck.
> >
> > I put the old drive back in and made the new drive the second disc drive.
> > That is the only way I could ask for help here. I called Compaq Support
> and
> > after a series of misunderstandings was told that I needed to purchase the
> > hard drive from Compaq and they would send the QR discs made for the
> larger
> > drive. I don't have Windows 98 on a separate CD and sure don't have the
> > other software on the QR discs.
> >
> > My first problem was that the QR would not load and format the drive, like
> > hoped it would, so I used FDISK and FORMAT to do that.
> >
> > I am thinking that MAYBE the QR discs are looking for the same size of C
> and
> > D drives (24.5 GB C drive and a 3.36 GB drive D), the QR discs will work.
> > could put the rest of the new drive into a drive E. But that is only my
> > theory and so far I have not been right too often about this. LOL
> >
> > I would appreciate any help with getting the QR discs to work on a new
> drive
> > that is larger than the factory installed drive.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Steve

David

So with the old HD and zip drive disconnected were you able to boot from the
QR CD and run the quick restore? Are you using the original IDE ribbon cable
that came with the computer and if so, are sure you jumpered your new HD for
cable select (CS)? Most likely it came jumpered as master. The IDE ribbon
cables should all be installed with the red stripe towards pin 1 on the
motherboard and the drives.

For maximum compatability, you should probably also run the ATA mode
switching utility from Seagate to limit your new HD to the maximum mode
supported by your computer. I think ATA/33 on the 7478.

Steve,go to
http://www.ts-consulting.net/ they have info on using the qr disks .
hope this helps,
terry