standy & hibernation (S & H) function

JG

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Due to a virus, I re-installed XP with Dell Tech help. S & H worked prior to
re-install. Now, they do not. When I set up S & H a window with following
message is displayed:

" ...the device driver for Com Port ! is preventing machine from entering
standby. You may need to update this driver." (paraphrased)

I checked the ComPort driver thru System Propertice/Device Driver and it
says it's working OK. I can find you applicable Driver info on Windows
website.

Where can I get info to update the driver? THX in advance.

Did you ever have a UPS device attached to the computer? Older UPS
devices utilized serial ports to communicate to the computer.

JG wrote:
> Due to a virus, I re-installed XP with Dell Tech help. S & H worked prior to
> re-install. Now, they do not. When I set up S & H a window with following
> message is displayed:
>
> " ...the device driver for Com Port ! is preventing machine from entering
> standby. You may need to update this driver." (paraphrased)
>
> I checked the ComPort driver thru System Propertice/Device Driver and it
> says it's working OK. I can find you applicable Driver info on Windows
> website.
>
> Where can I get info to update the driver? THX in advance.

JG

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Eric

No UPS devices have been attached - only a HP Printer