Slow system

I have tried everything from defrag, to restore and nothing seems to work in
speeding up my computer. Is there anything I can do. Its very slow,
programs associated with my dvd, will not work properly, etc..

Please Help?
7 answers Last reply
More about slow system

    "Protect Your PC"
    www.microsoft.com/protect
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "afruci" <afruci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have tried everything from defrag, to restore and nothing seems to work
    in
    > speeding up my computer. Is there anything I can do. Its very slow,
    > programs associated with my dvd, will not work properly, etc..
    >
    > Please Help?

    I have done the Spybot, Adaware, defrag, McAfee Clean Disk 5.0 and MY system
    runs slow as well. Correction... it runs slow with video related apps and a
    few others. It is noticable when opening apps which can take several minutes.
    Apps like Office, IE, Quicken, ACT etc. all open fast. Defrag can take as
    long as 5 minutes. Going into Windows Explorer can lock up and require an
    End Task... Help.

    I have 2 80GB HD with all apps running on the C:\

    Quentin

    "~ FreeSpirit ~" wrote:

    > "afruci" <afruci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have tried everything from defrag, to restore and nothing seems to work
    > in
    > > speeding up my computer. Is there anything I can do. Its very slow,
    > > programs associated with my dvd, will not work properly, etc..
    > >
    > > Please Help?
    > ==========================
    > I just helped a friend remove close to 200 spies, adware, a few keyloggers,
    > unknown browser plug-ins etc from her crawling, creeping Dell (with WXP-SP1)
    > this morning. Spybot and Adaware did the deed. Then, after installing
    > Norton System Works, SysDr found and fixed 126 "problems" in all areas. We
    > did a scandisk/fix errors. It didn't need a defrag. After a reboot it ran
    > like a new PC! :-))) It was being strangled by scumware and had
    > accumulated other problems over time. She's thrilled!
    >
    > FS~

    The five most prevalent causes of poor performance, accounting for 98% of
    complaints:

    1. Hardware not up to the task and/or mismatched hardware.
    2. Viruses, spyware.
    3. Too many programs running in the background.
    4. User misconfiguration.
    5. Lack of maintenance.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Quentin" <Quentin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have done the Spybot, Adaware, defrag, McAfee Clean Disk 5.0 and MY
    system
    > runs slow as well. Correction... it runs slow with video related apps and
    > few others. It is noticable when opening apps which can take several
    minutes.
    > Apps like Office, IE, Quicken, ACT etc. all open fast. Defrag can take
    as
    > long as 5 minutes. Going into Windows Explorer can lock up and require an
    > End Task... Help.
    >
    > I have 2 80GB HD with all apps running on the C:\
    >
    > Quentin
    >
    > "~ FreeSpirit ~" wrote:
    >

    > > "afruci" <afruci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have tried everything from defrag, to restore and nothing seems to
    work
    > > in
    > > > speeding up my computer. Is there anything I can do. Its very slow,
    > > > programs associated with my dvd, will not work properly, etc..
    > > >
    > > > Please Help?
    > > ==========================
    > > I just helped a friend remove close to 200 spies, adware, a few
    keyloggers,
    > > unknown browser plug-ins etc from her crawling, creeping Dell (with
    WXP-SP1)
    > > this morning. Spybot and Adaware did the deed. Then, after installing
    > > Norton System Works, SysDr found and fixed 126 "problems" in all areas.
    We
    > > did a scandisk/fix errors. It didn't need a defrag. After a reboot it
    ran
    > > like a new PC! :-))) It was being strangled by scumware and had
    > > accumulated other problems over time. She's thrilled!
    > >
    > > FS~

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    My new home system was lightning fast - until recently. It seems as though
    some update I got from Automatic Updates in the last two weeks caused it to
    slow down considerably when booting, and at odd other times, like when I'm
    looking at newsgroups woth Outlook Express. Everything will be fine then I
    click on a message (after successfully clicking on numerous messages) the
    cursor will go to a hourglass and the hard drive grinds and grinds. A few
    *minutes* later and I'm finally able to do something again. I thought I had
    picked up some spyware or something so I ran AdAware - no help. Yesterday I
    mentioned it to my boss at work and he said the same thing had happened to
    his W2K system, also after doing Windows Update. Has anyone heard of any
    problems with a recent Update?

    > The five most prevalent causes of poor performance, accounting for 98% of
    > complaints:
    >
    > 1. Hardware not up to the task and/or mismatched hardware.
    > 2. Viruses, spyware.
    > 3. Too many programs running in the background.
    > 4. User misconfiguration.
    > 5. Lack of maintenance.
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    >

    > "Quentin" <Quentin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have done the Spybot, Adaware, defrag, McAfee Clean Disk 5.0 and MY
    > system
    > > runs slow as well. Correction... it runs slow with video related apps
    and
    > > few others. It is noticable when opening apps which can take several
    > minutes.
    > > Apps like Office, IE, Quicken, ACT etc. all open fast. Defrag can take
    > as
    > > long as 5 minutes. Going into Windows Explorer can lock up and require
    an
    > > End Task... Help.
    > >
    > > I have 2 80GB HD with all apps running on the C:\
    > >
    > > Quentin
    > >
    > > "~ FreeSpirit ~" wrote:
    > >

    > > > "afruci" <afruci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > work
    > > > in

    > > > ==========================
    > > > I just helped a friend remove close to 200 spies, adware, a few
    > keyloggers,
    > > > unknown browser plug-ins etc from her crawling, creeping Dell (with
    > WXP-SP1)
    > > > this morning. Spybot and Adaware did the deed. Then, after
    installing
    > > > Norton System Works, SysDr found and fixed 126 "problems" in all
    areas.
    > We
    > > > did a scandisk/fix errors. It didn't need a defrag. After a reboot
    it
    > ran
    > > > like a new PC! :-))) It was being strangled by scumware and had
    > > > accumulated other problems over time. She's thrilled!
    > > >
    > > > FS~

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Of course we have but you need to find the source of the issue which may not
    have anything to do with Windows Update.

    You've already checked for adware but have you run a virus scan; be sure
    your antivirus software has the latest definitions and run a
    virus scan.

    If your system is clear of viruses and any malware, open Control Panel, open
    System, go to
    the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery, remove the
    check from "Automatically Restart" under System Failure. This will cause
    the system to blue screen instead of restarting on errors and the
    information on the blue screen may give a clue as to the source of the
    issue.

    Open Control Panel, open Administrative Tools, open Event Viewer, look for
    errors corresponding to the crash, double click the error, the information
    contained within may give a clue as to the
    source of the problem.

    Assuming you have an XP CD and not a recovery CD, place the XP CD in the
    drive, when the setup screen appears, select "Check System Compatibility,"
    the report it generates may point to problem hardware or software on your
    system. If you do not have an XP CD, you can download this application
    known as the Upgrade Advisor from the following site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Note: If you have access to a broadband connection it might be best to
    download using that as this is a rather large download.

    Check for the latest drivers for your hardware, especially your graphics
    card and soundcard and all peripherals connected to your system. No not use
    Windows Update for this, go to the device manufacturer's web sites and if
    you install updated drivers, ignore the message about drivers being unsigned
    by Microsoft.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Ron Hinds" <__NoSpam__ron@__ramac__.com> wrote in message
    > My new home system was lightning fast - until recently. It seems as though
    > some update I got from Automatic Updates in the last two weeks caused it
    > slow down considerably when booting, and at odd other times, like when I'm
    > looking at newsgroups woth Outlook Express. Everything will be fine then I
    > click on a message (after successfully clicking on numerous messages) the
    > cursor will go to a hourglass and the hard drive grinds and grinds. A few
    > *minutes* later and I'm finally able to do something again. I thought I
    > had
    > picked up some spyware or something so I ran AdAware - no help. Yesterday
    > mentioned it to my boss at work and he said the same thing had happened to
    > his W2K system, also after doing Windows Update. Has anyone heard of any
    > problems with a recent Update?

    >> The five most prevalent causes of poor performance, accounting for 98% of
    >> complaints:
    >>
    >> 1. Hardware not up to the task and/or mismatched hardware.
    >> 2. Viruses, spyware.
    >> 3. Too many programs running in the background.
    >> 4. User misconfiguration.
    >> 5. Lack of maintenance.
    >> --
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >>

    >> "Quentin" <Quentin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I have done the Spybot, Adaware, defrag, McAfee Clean Disk 5.0 and MY
    >> system
    >> > runs slow as well. Correction... it runs slow with video related apps
    > and
    >> > few others. It is noticable when opening apps which can take several
    >> minutes.
    >> > Apps like Office, IE, Quicken, ACT etc. all open fast. Defrag can
    >> > take
    >> as
    >> > long as 5 minutes. Going into Windows Explorer can lock up and require
    > an
    >> > End Task... Help.
    >> >
    >> > I have 2 80GB HD with all apps running on the C:\
    >> >
    >> > Quentin

    >> work
    > slow,

    >> keyloggers,
    >> WXP-SP1)
    > installing
    > areas.
    >> We
    > it
    >> ran

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    "Ron Hinds" <__NoSpam__ron@__ramac__.com> wrote in message
    > My new home system was lightning fast - until recently. It seems as
    > though some update I got from Automatic Updates in the last two weeks
    > caused it to slow down considerably when booting, and at odd other
    > times, like when I'm looking at newsgroups woth Outlook Express.
    > Everything will be fine then I click on a message (after successfully
    > clicking on numerous messages) the cursor will go to a hourglass and
    > the hard drive grinds and grinds. A few *minutes* later and I'm
    > finally able to do something again. I thought I had picked up some
    > spyware or something so I ran AdAware - no help. Yesterday I
    > mentioned it to my boss at work and he said the same thing had
    > happened to his W2K system, also after doing Windows Update. Has
    > anyone heard of any problems with a recent Update?

    >> The five most prevalent causes of poor performance, accounting for
    >> 98% of complaints:
    >>
    >> 1. Hardware not up to the task and/or mismatched hardware.
    >> 2. Viruses, spyware.
    >> 3. Too many programs running in the background.
    >> 4. User misconfiguration.
    >> 5. Lack of maintenance.
    >> --
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >>

    >> "Quentin" <Quentin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> I have done the Spybot, Adaware, defrag, McAfee Clean Disk 5.0 and
    >>> MY system runs slow as well. Correction... it runs slow with video
    >>> related apps and a few others. It is noticable when opening apps
    >>> which can take several minutes. Apps like Office, IE, Quicken, ACT
    >>> etc. all open fast. Defrag can take as long as 5 minutes. Going
    >>> into Windows Explorer can lock up and require an End Task... Help.
    >>>
    >>> I have 2 80GB HD with all apps running on the C:\
    >>>
    >>> Quentin

    Empty your Temporary Internet Files including checking the box to delete all
    offline content.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Turn off your anti-virus program(s) running in the background and see if the
    behavior repeats.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)