SERIOUS PROBLEM ENFOLDING

G

Hi, i am building 2 machines up .m/b are elite k7s5a with 350w tsunami psu in case.Using a 1.4 athlon and 256mb ddr samsung ram.Heres the problem

1st m/b chip and heatsink installed,agp hd dvd and floppy.globalwin fan and ready for bootup.Go into bios and all is well.Set it to 133/133 and leave drams at spd default.Bootup fine and fdisk and format hd.All is well for an hour or so now.Following day,ready to install win98.Machine left running for 2 hours .Sat nicely at 45oC.Came back and machine gone off.Try to switch on.Wont switch on.Remove psu cable and reinsert and machine starts up.4 secs later switches off.Keeps doing this .Finally i reset the cmos and managed to get back to the bios.Set it as defaults and back to dos.Again shuts off. Hmmmm.

Decide to try the next board.

Strip down and reinstall as above.New arctic silver used.Start up the machine and goto bios.All is well and temps are low again.Not even at 100oC and off it shutsdown again.Now im puzzled if its the mainboard at all.

I wonder wether theres a compatibility problem with these boards and the 1.4
Maybe i have a dodgy psu in the new case.
Or as a last resort,some arctic silver managed to get onto the L5 on the cpu.Im lost now.Can someone please help or the boards and the 1 tower will be going back .

monkeyspank

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
I built a pc with that board and a 1.4 athlon and it was fine (apart from a problem with a SBlive).

But not all components are made equally.

btw, I used crucial ram

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
when you go into the bios, check the volts...it is in the hardware monitor menu.
if it is not close to being specs...like if the 5v line is 4.2, and if the 3.3v line is 2, then it might be the psu.
these boards are kinda sensative to crappy psus...
and if the psu isnt putting out close to specs, then it doesnt matter how many watts it is...it will still cause problems.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

Well i can gladly say i have pinpointed the problem down and finally solved it.

It was a faulty power switch button.Something so small and of mindboggling questionable symptoms.It is the last thing that you start to go into,and it turns out that it the culprit.I have the reset switch wired up at the minute for power.

The machine would turn itself off and on when it liked too,causing a suspicion to the switch.

Well it just goes to show that something so simple as this can cause the wrong conclusion to be drawn and panick to set in wether it is the more costly parts.I.E cpu not compatible,m/b range duff,or ram incorrect make,or even psu not good enough.I even started to read a post somewhere else about a gfx card making it do this and changing it to another 64mb card made it sound.

Well all,if your ever having a problem with power,and you think you gotta problem with either your psu or overheating making it shut down,just go and look at the power switch more closely,and dont ever rule it out.I did and it cost me about 3 hours work,swapping and changing.Now when i look at those posts regarding power probs it must be looked at as a cause.

thnx for the responses anyway chaps.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
odd, i have never had this problem...
what was wrong with the switch?
is it just sticking on?
because that would cause the problem.
the atx switch only needs to be on for a second...anything longer might make it turn off...
odd...
i hope that you can get ahold of a switch.
steal one out of an older case that you have.

-DAvid

G

yes it is odd.I have the machine running fine with the reset switch,the same but diff color wiring.The power switch doesnt appear to be damaged in any way,and clicks too.Any thoughts.I will have to try it on another case.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmmm....
if you like the case, you could buy a new switch at radioshack or something.
hmm...
other than that, i dont know...you could take the case back to the store you got it from, and show them what is wrong...
if they are respectable, they will swap it for another one.
and if they are REALLY respectable, then they will make sure that it is a functional one.
i am not sure what switch to use for the power button, but i am pretty sure that it is a temporary switch, meaning that it isnt "click" on, "click" off
it is off, "click" on, "release" off.
if anyone knows the specs for the atx switch...i think it would be awesome if you poseted it here.
i would like to know, just for knowledge's sake.
like if i see this problem out in the world...and need to fix it!

-DAvid

G

If the power button clicks on and clicks off, then it sounds like it is not an atx button.
http://www.compute-aid.com/atxspec.html

"ATX power supply is different from AT power supply. It depends a logic circuit on the motherboard to turn it on. Once you flipped the power switch on the ATX power supply to on (some ATX power supplies do not even have such a switch), the ATX power supply sends a 5V 720MA current to the motherboard through pin 9 on the power connector. That current is for WOL (Wake-up On Lan) and power on circuits. There is a power-on jumper on the motherboard that connects to the pushbutton located in front of ATX case. When the pushbutton is pressed, it sends a signal to the mothboard, which in turn notifies the ATX power supply to turn on the full power. The location of the power-on jumper on the motherboard is manufacture dependent. You will need to read your motherboard manual to locate that jumper. At any event, do not try to manually jump-start the power supply without attaching motherboard. Since the power supply is expecting certain sensing circuit feedback to regulate the output voltage, munaully starting it without attaching it to the motherboard could cause damage to the power supply."

The reset button works just as the power supply should, ie it is a momentary on switch.
Phew! glad it is not more serious.

Cheers
Ivan

Ivan

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
the atx power switch on my case makes a click noise...
i think it does that just to let people know that they have turned on the computer.
i push down the button, and it makes a click noise.
it isnt a switch that stays on, it is basically a temporary shorting of the two pins on the mobo.
which is what atx is.
i was trying to explain the differences btwn at and atx buttons by the way the switch functions. not as technical as you did, but i think i did...
if it clicks on, and clicks off, then it is at...
if it clicks on, and you dont have to push it again to turn it off, then it is atx..unless you have to force it to turn off, which means holding it down for 4 seconds.
it is kinda like the switch that is in the steering column of a car, which is connected to the key lock. it is only temporary to start it. but that isnt the best example, since you leave the key in run, and then turn it off, but the turning on aspect is ok.

-DAvid

G

Check this link...http://forum.ocworkbench.com/ocwbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=003792

Had similar problems , Try to underclock it to 1050Mz at least now no data corruption occurs and the system is stable

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you sure the problem is the switch. When building my system with the same motherboard, I had the same problem, and when I'd turn it off it also wouldn't come back on. The problem with my motherboard was pinpointed to the motherboards SLEEP function. I went to the BIOS and disabled the slepp feature, and the problem never occured again. Maybe that could be it?

"Trying is the first step towards failure."