Sign in with
Your question

Should i bother trying to play skyrim on PC?

Last response: in Video Games
November 23, 2011 11:24:17 AM

Years after finishing Morrowind on my slightly decent HP dv6125se laptop with rubbish cpu and graphics card, did not really get into oblivion on PS3 so I'm considering getting Skyrim on PC

However the problem is I'm unsure if i should even bother (as I want decent performance). It is basically a 2-3 yr old dell inspiron 545

Specs are:
Pentium Dual-Core E5300 @2.6GHz
3Gb DDR2 RAm
Integrated Intel GMA 3100-236 Mb
19 inch Monitor

I realise i would need to upgrade the ram and get a video card but how easy is this to do? Would i have to get a new CPU, motherboard etc to even expect decent performance? or is it just easier to buy a new PC or will i be able to upgrade the components of this one?

Thanks for your answers

More about : bother play skyrim

November 23, 2011 12:02:13 PM

The problem isn't with your processor speed, or RAM but with your integrated video device. OS: 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
* CPU: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
* RAM: 2 GB
* HDD: 6 GB
* Graphics: 512 MB card
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c
* Internet for Steam activation

You simply don't meet the minimum requirements for the game but I would definitely say it's worth the bother to buy a computer that can run it. :) 

something like this will work if budget is a concern.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 23, 2011 12:06:00 PM

tekmage said:
The problem isn't with your processor speed, or RAM but with your integrated video device. OS: 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
* CPU: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
* RAM: 2 GB
* HDD: 6 GB
* Graphics: 512 MB card
* Sound Card: DirectX 9 Compatible
* DirectX: Version 9.0c
* Internet for Steam activation

You simply don't meet the minimum requirements for the game but I would definitely say it's worth the bother to buy a computer that can run it. :) 

something like this will work if budget is a concern.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for your reply, you are aware you posted a laptop? Also i seem to meet the minimum requirements except the graphics card which is why i was asking if this just involves replacing it or needing to buy a new PSU etc
Related resources
November 23, 2011 12:08:24 PM

rhymer2k said:
Thanks for your reply, you are aware you posted a laptop? Also i seem to meet the minimum requirements except the graphics card which is why i was asking if this just involves replacing it or needing to buy a new PSU etc

Oops, sorry. For some reason I thought you had a laptop. :> I can put up some desktop configs if you want those.
November 23, 2011 1:05:24 PM

depending on your available PCIe and PSU capacity you can get something fairly cheap (say 5770 or similar) that should do skyrim justice. But again, depends if your mobo and psu can support it.
November 23, 2011 1:11:17 PM

AntiZig said:
depending on your available PCIe and PSU capacity you can get something fairly cheap (say 5770 or similar) that should do skyrim justice. But again, depends if your mobo and psu can support it.

Whats the minimum wattage recommended and PCIe? is that on the motherboard yes?
November 23, 2011 4:44:39 PM

minimum wattage is specified by the GPU you're looking to get. honestly, just post the info that people asked for and they'll be able to tell you what the optimal solution would be...
so, mobo and psu - make and model
November 23, 2011 5:42:58 PM

Psu i can't tell but searching online says its between 250 and 200watt (its a dell psu)

The motherboard is also dell 0N826N.
November 23, 2011 7:19:27 PM

get the prog called hwinfo either 32 or 64 bit w/e your system is, it will give you more in depth info on your hardware.

I can tell you right now, if you go for something like 5770 it needs at least 450W PSU. So, you'll be looking to upgrade the PSU.

also, typically modern cards want PCI-E x16 2.0 slot on mobo, ofcourse there's older options for x8
November 23, 2011 8:19:39 PM

AntiZig said:
get the prog called hwinfo either 32 or 64 bit w/e your system is, it will give you more in depth info on your hardware.

I can tell you right now, if you go for something like 5770 it needs at least 450W PSU. So, you'll be looking to upgrade the PSU.

also, typically modern cards want PCI-E x16 2.0 slot on mobo, ofcourse there's older options for x8

just downloaded, i have 2 PCI, 2 PCI-Ex1 and 1 PCI-Ex16..however i think this is v1.0 not v2.0

So i need to get a new PSU and a new Video card..was planning to get something like the GTX 560 or Hd5960 is this possible or should just give that up lol, and more ram obviously.
November 23, 2011 9:17:26 PM

@rhymer2k If you can upgrade the psu, AntiZag's suggestion is solid, if you can't upgrade the psu, the only viable option you have is the AMD Radeon 6570.
November 25, 2011 1:16:31 PM

tekmage said:
@rhymer2k If you can upgrade the psu, AntiZag's suggestion is solid, if you can't upgrade the psu, the only viable option you have is the AMD Radeon 6570.

Hey guys thanks for the suggestions...buying a new psu and a decent car like the HD 5770 for example can be done for about 100 pounds (live in the UK) which sounds decent.

However as i am thinking of significantly upgrading my components, new processor, motherboard, psu, video card, sound card etc, would i just be better of being patient and waiting to get enough money for a new build with good components that would see me through for the foreseeable future. (maybe get a used hd 5770 as a stopgap?) I was in a rush to buy this computer 2 years ago and money was a concern too as it was a home computer for my parents while i was away at Uni.

Thanks as always.
!