Can't get welcome screen back

can't seem to get the logon welcome screen back. When I started my computer
today. Instead I get the black background and have to enter my user name and
password screen. In users accounts I have "use the welcome screen" and "fast
user switching" checked. Restoring the system to Saturday , 2 days ago didn't
help.

Also when I do a windows+L I get an unlock computer screen
I have looked for gina. I am using correct msgina.dll. I am using xp home
sp2. also the registry keys LogonType and AllowMultiple TSSessions are both
set to 1.

I posted this under config management and got no response so I figured I was
in wrong group. I apologize if cross-posting.
Please HELP!!
3 answers Last reply
More about screen back

    If the GinaDLL registry value exists, delete it. Try this:

    Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
    Navigate to the following key:
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    Backup the registry key by exporting it.
    In the right pane, right-click GinaDLL, and then click Delete.
    (You need to remove the whole value, not just the value-data)
    Close Registry Editor

    And, make sure that the Terminal Services and Fast User Switching services are started and running. (Click Start, Run and type Services.msc)

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "zthej" <zthej@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2128A81F-CDB6-4E4E-96CB-FFCBC19F9CA1@microsoft.com...
    can't seem to get the logon welcome screen back. When I started my computer
    today. Instead I get the black background and have to enter my user name and
    password screen. In users accounts I have "use the welcome screen" and "fast
    user switching" checked. Restoring the system to Saturday , 2 days ago didn't
    help.

    Also when I do a windows+L I get an unlock computer screen
    I have looked for gina. I am using correct msgina.dll. I am using xp home
    sp2. also the registry keys LogonType and AllowMultiple TSSessions are both
    set to 1.

    I posted this under config management and got no response so I figured I was
    in wrong group. I apologize if cross-posting.
    Please HELP!!

    Thanks for the Help!
    GinaDLL does not exist. Terminal services and Fast User switching are
    started. Starup type is manual for terminal services and automatic for Fast
    user switching.

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > If the GinaDLL registry value exists, delete it. Try this:
    >
    > Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
    > Navigate to the following key:
    > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    > Backup the registry key by exporting it.
    > In the right pane, right-click GinaDLL, and then click Delete.
    > (You need to remove the whole value, not just the value-data)
    > Close Registry Editor
    >
    > And, make sure that the Terminal Services and Fast User Switching services are started and running. (Click Start, Run and type Services.msc)
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "zthej" <zthej@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2128A81F-CDB6-4E4E-96CB-FFCBC19F9CA1@microsoft.com...
    > can't seem to get the logon welcome screen back. When I started my computer
    > today. Instead I get the black background and have to enter my user name and
    > password screen. In users accounts I have "use the welcome screen" and "fast
    > user switching" checked. Restoring the system to Saturday , 2 days ago didn't
    > help.
    >
    > Also when I do a windows+L I get an unlock computer screen
    > I have looked for gina. I am using correct msgina.dll. I am using xp home
    > sp2. also the registry keys LogonType and AllowMultiple TSSessions are both
    > set to 1.
    >
    > I posted this under config management and got no response so I figured I was
    > in wrong group. I apologize if cross-posting.
    > Please HELP!!

    Also verify the UIHost value here:

    Set it to "logonui.exe" (If there is a different value there)

    BTW, if you have used a logonui.exe hack (in the past) such as the example here, try extracting a new copy of the file. http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak1426.aspx

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

    > If the GinaDLL registry value exists, delete it. Try this:
    >
    > Click Start, Run and type REGEDIT
    > Navigate to the following key:
    > HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    > Backup the registry key by exporting it.
    > In the right pane, right-click GinaDLL, and then click Delete.
    > (You need to remove the whole value, not just the value-data)
    > Close Registry Editor
    >
    > And, make sure that the Terminal Services and Fast User Switching services are started and running. (Click Start, Run and type Services.msc)
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "zthej" <zthej@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2128A81F-CDB6-4E4E-96CB-FFCBC19F9CA1@microsoft.com...
    > can't seem to get the logon welcome screen back. When I started my computer
    > today. Instead I get the black background and have to enter my user name and
    > password screen. In users accounts I have "use the welcome screen" and "fast
    > user switching" checked. Restoring the system to Saturday , 2 days ago didn't
    > help.
    >
    > Also when I do a windows+L I get an unlock computer screen
    > I have looked for gina. I am using correct msgina.dll. I am using xp home
    > sp2. also the registry keys LogonType and AllowMultiple TSSessions are both
    > set to 1.
    >
    > I posted this under config management and got no response so I figured I was
    > in wrong group. I apologize if cross-posting.
    > Please HELP!!

Windows XP