CDRW & DVD Probelms

I have an EMachine T2085 desktop running XP sp1. Everything was fine until
recently when I ran erro check. Now, my CDRW & DVD drives do not show in
Explorer and are not listed as devices in device manager. In addition, the
CDRW drive does not even open open. I have attempted to search from new h/w
devices... no luck.

Any ideas?
8 answers Last reply
More about cdrw probelms

    I do not know. I am not sure wherwe to look and what to look for. If you can
    provide that info, I can take a look.

    "Charlie P" wrote:

    > I have an EMachine T2085 desktop running XP sp1. Everything was fine until
    > recently when I ran erro check. Now, my CDRW & DVD drives do not show in
    > Explorer and are not listed as devices in device manager. In addition, the
    > CDRW drive does not even open open. I have attempted to search from new h/w
    > devices... no luck.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Hi

    Do they show up in the BIOS?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Charlie P" <Charlie P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have an EMachine T2085 desktop running XP sp1. Everything was fine until
    > recently when I ran erro check. Now, my CDRW & DVD drives do not show in
    > Explorer and are not listed as devices in device manager. In addition,
    > the
    > CDRW drive does not even open open. I have attempted to search from new
    > h/w
    > devices... no luck.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    I am not really sure where to look in BOIS or what to look for. If you know
    and can provide that, I can take a look.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Do they show up in the BIOS?
    >
    > --
    >

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Charlie P" <Charlie P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have an EMachine T2085 desktop running XP sp1. Everything was fine until
    > > recently when I ran erro check. Now, my CDRW & DVD drives do not show in
    > > Explorer and are not listed as devices in device manager. In addition,
    > > the
    > > CDRW drive does not even open open. I have attempted to search from new
    > > h/w
    > > devices... no luck.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?

    Hi

    BIOSes are different. You'll have to look in the manual for your
    motherboard. That should tell you how to access the BIOS + which menu to
    access for your CD\DVD drives.

    --

    >I am not really sure where to look in BOIS or what to look for. If you
    >know
    > and can provide that, I can take a look.
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Do they show up in the BIOS?
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Charlie P" <Charlie P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have an EMachine T2085 desktop running XP sp1. Everything was fine
    >> >until
    >> > recently when I ran erro check. Now, my CDRW & DVD drives do not show
    >> > in
    >> > Explorer and are not listed as devices in device manager. In addition,
    >> > the
    >> > CDRW drive does not even open open. I have attempted to search from
    >> > new
    >> > h/w
    >> > devices... no luck.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?

    Hi

    Ergo - go to the mobo's manufacturer's web site. They will have manuals to
    download there.

    --

    Try this page at HP: http://search.hp.com/query.html?hpvc=US+-+English&lang=en&submit.x=4&submit.y=3&qt=P4SD-LA&la=en&cc=us pick your computer model.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff

    > "» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@new.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Try this page at HP:

    http://search.hp.com/query.html?hpvc=US+-+English&lang=en&submit.x=4&submit.y=3&qt=P4SD-LA&la=en&cc=us
    > pick your computer model.
    >
    > --
    > Just my 2¢ worth,
    > Jeff
    > =====================
    > Thanks... Perhaps they'll have some information on it.
    >
    > FS~
    > Completely FREE software:
    > http://www.pricelessware.org
    > http://www.pricelesswarehome.org
    > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    And all it takes are reading skills, a sense of initiative and a willingness
    to take responsibility.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    > "~ FreeSpirit ~" <spammenot@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@new.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Try this page at HP:

    http://search.hp.com/query.html?hpvc=US+-+English&lang=en&submit.x=4&submit.y=3&qt=P4SD-LA&la=en&cc=us
    > > pick your computer model.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Just my 2¢ worth,
    > > Jeff
    > > Thanks... Perhaps they'll have some information on it.
    > >
    > > FS~
    > > Completely FREE software:
    > > http://www.pricelessware.org
    > > http://www.pricelesswarehome.org