Internet time tab

Chad

If I have this tab checked will it change my date and time automaticaly? The
reason I ask is I did have it checked to Sync and everyonce in a while my
date and time would change to some weird date and time. Either Back to
December 2003 at noon or to the year 2205 and it would keep the same time.
This would throw off all my programs and My comp would think all my virus
defs were outdated. If I leave the sync button unchecked will my comp be OK?

Chad I assume you mean where windows synchronises the time with an internet
clock? If you don't want the clock to be synchronised then you don't have to
have it synchronise. You can manually adjust the time yourself from your own
watch if you want to. Leaving the sync option unchecked will not harm your
pc in any way.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert
"Chad" <Chad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I have this tab checked will it change my date and time automaticaly?
> The
> reason I ask is I did have it checked to Sync and everyonce in a while my
> date and time would change to some weird date and time. Either Back to
> December 2003 at noon or to the year 2205 and it would keep the same time.
> This would throw off all my programs and My comp would think all my virus
> defs were outdated. If I leave the sync button unchecked will my comp be
> OK?

Chad

Thank you for your help, now what I'm concerned about it that my DATE keeps
changing to 2205 instead of 2005. I have all the lates software updates and
virus updates. I have even ran several Spyware programs and have made sure
my Comp is completely clean.

WIll checking this tab help keep my computers date from changing or is there
some but in a software program causing this to happen?

What are your thoughts?

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> Chad I assume you mean where windows synchronises the time with an internet
> clock? If you don't want the clock to be synchronised then you don't have to
> have it synchronise. You can manually adjust the time yourself from your own
> watch if you want to. Leaving the sync option unchecked will not harm your
> pc in any way.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
> "Chad" <Chad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > If I have this tab checked will it change my date and time automaticaly?
> > The
> > reason I ask is I did have it checked to Sync and everyonce in a while my
> > date and time would change to some weird date and time. Either Back to
> > December 2003 at noon or to the year 2205 and it would keep the same time.
> > This would throw off all my programs and My comp would think all my virus
> > defs were outdated. If I leave the sync button unchecked will my comp be
> > OK?

How old is your pc Chad? If it is a few years old (4 or 5 years) it may
simply be the CMOS battery on the motherboard that needs replacing.
I haven't come across this problem personally but I'll have a dig around and
see what I can find.