My games keep freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

solinvictus01

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hi,

I recently build my Gaming PC. I've downloaded a few games through Steam. I've played Crysis and Assassin's Creed and both games keep freezing at random points.

My graphics card isn't overheating or anything. Neither is my CPU. I don't know what could be the problem. Please help.

My system:

i2500k OC to 4.2Ghz
G. Skill Ripjaws X Series 1600Mhz DDR3
PSU Corsair 650W
MSI R6970 Lightning @950Mhz

Thanks!

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
It seems you've overclocked both the GPU (Lightning runs at 930MHz @ default AFAIK) and the CPU. Drop the OC's first and see if it solves the issue. If it does, your OC isn't as stable as you'd think it to be.

solinvictus01

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011

Correction. The GPU runs at 940Mhz stock. I only increased by 10Mhz. The CPU runs at 57c at peak load. I ran some registry tests and found that there were a lot of registry errors. Also my hard drive was 47% fragmented. I'll defrag and fix the registry errors. I've been playing for two weeks now and only until the last couple of days have I noticed that the games were freezing.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
Aaah... Yeah that could easily cause the issue. If the registry get blocked up, the PC feels constipated and stops functioning. Stupid comparison, sorry, but it works.

Consider a full format. Old GFX drivers and *** can easily cause the issue as well.

DM186

Splendid
The new 285 drivers have bugs and causes game freezes and other stuff. Also if you crash to desktop or reboot system you should do steam cache integrity in the properties of the game on steam and what Toxxyc said flush the system. Good luck

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011

285 Drivers that are buggy are drivers from Nvidia. If you read the OP, you'll notice that he has an ATI card...

Status
Not open for further replies.