Skyrim specs question

spinblade

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hi,

Sorry, another Skyrim specs question. I live out in the sticks and if I get it am getting it delivered along with a card, so don't want it to be a waste of time if my system plus the card I'm thinking of getting can't handle it. Thanks a lot.

Would like to know if my system will run the game with good fps.

Quad Core 2 Q8400 @ 2.66
4 gigs DDR2
Res: 1600x900
And if I get it, I'll be getting either an AMD HD6790 or AMD HD6850

Would the above be able to play it well, with at least some ultra settings? And on the topic, should I go for the HD6850 with it over the HD6790 or won't it make a difference?

I appreciate your time.

tekmage

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

You specs seem fine but I've done a lot of reading on the forums, and a lot of issues seem to be cropping up with the 68xx series from AMD. I'm still unable to ascertain why the card has issues with Skyrim. I know it destroys the performance of the 6670 which my gf uses in hers or it should anyhow but she's playing very happily at 30+ fps and people with specs that dwarf her system are stuttering all over the place and crashing for unknown reasons. Have you considered trying an Nvidia card or do you have a preference for AMD? If so I think the 6790 might be the better choice.

spinblade

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hey, tek. Thanks. Okay, that's some food for thought on the card. The two AMD cards I mentioned are in my price range. Don't have an especial preference for them or anything. I saw a Skyrim-compatible GPU list on a forum and it had those two AMDs pretty high up in the rankings and in my price range so I turned my attention onto them. I'll look into the Nvidia cards. Thanks.

tekmage

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011

Ok, definitely do either the 6790 or maybe something Nvidia like this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125367 As brand names go: Gigabyte,Sapphire and Asus are generally what I trust for video cards. MSI's and Evga aren't shabby either.

spinblade

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Yeah, that Nvidia is also definitely in my price range. Thanks. Comes in a bit lower on that GPU spec page (sure you've seen it at http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1264930-unofficial-will-my-pc-run-skyrim-thread-54-w-hardware-guide) than the AMDs, so I've got something to chew on now :) I guess it's between that GeForce and the 6790 if 68XXs are giving headaches as you say.

Thanks. Nice one.