pink blots and lines on the monitor (screen)

1 year ago, I did a did a clean install of Windows XP on my Dell machine that
originally had Windows ME. It worked well until last month when I started
seeing pink lines and blots on the monitor. It has become more and more
frequent. Sometimes these blots or lines flicker on and off but other times
they stay for a few seconds making it difficult to work. Do you have any
ideas about what I should do? Thank you
2 answers Last reply
More about pink blots lines monitor screen

    my first approach would be to test the monitor on another computer or
    another monitor on yours to determine if the monitor is the culprit. they
    don't last forever and under heavy usage they die before the pc.

    --
    "Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
    knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS

    "Valbona" <Valbona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > 1 year ago, I did a did a clean install of Windows XP on my Dell machine
    that
    > originally had Windows ME. It worked well until last month when I started
    > seeing pink lines and blots on the monitor. It has become more and more
    > frequent. Sometimes these blots or lines flicker on and off but other
    times
    > they stay for a few seconds making it difficult to work. Do you have any
    > ideas about what I should do? Thank you

    Well the first thing to do is to quit smoking whatever it is your smoking.
    On the other hand, maybe I should try some - it sounds like good stuff.

    Diagnosing the problem is easy: Try another monitor with your computer.
    Problem solved? Your monitor is gone. Problem still exists? Then start your
    computer in Safe Mode. Picture looks good? In that case, your video driver
    has become corrupted. Not to worry, it happens. Just reinstall the driver
    or, even better, install the latest video driver from your video card
    manufacturer.

    Picture still look weird? In that case, your video card needs to be
    replaced. Most likely it has overheated. You should clean out the dust from
    the inside of your computer twice a year. And while you're under the hood,
    make sure the cables aren't folded in a way that impedes the airflow.
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Valbona" <Valbona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > 1 year ago, I did a did a clean install of Windows XP on my Dell machine
    that
    > originally had Windows ME. It worked well until last month when I started
    > seeing pink lines and blots on the monitor. It has become more and more
    > frequent. Sometimes these blots or lines flicker on and off but other
    times
    > they stay for a few seconds making it difficult to work. Do you have any
    > ideas about what I should do? Thank you

Monitors Windows XP